sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2018 12:13 pm  #31

Re: Radio Humsafar 1350 Brampton

tvguy wrote:

New application to move AM 1350's antenna posted by the CRTC.  Looks like they still intend to launch.  From their technical brief:
"Since it was not possible to achieve all necessary coordination at the original site proposed in the first application, the applicant is proposing to move the operation to a new site located at 1715 Britannia Rd E in Mississauga (ON)."

This thread goes back a ways. But it now appears Radio Humsafar, the new ethnic station in Brampton may become the next CKNT. Their transmitter issues continue without any apparent solution, but the CRTC has denied their latest foray into changing the contours they were granted. In essence, the Commission believed the place they'd chosen would be more likely to target Mississauga and not Brampton, so they turned them down. 

There were also complaints from another ethnic outlet, CJMR, which is licenced to Mississauga. And there were other concerns about how it would impact CINA, the X-band station at 1650. 

Whatever happens, the clock is ticking for 1350. Unless they apply for an extension (which now seems likely) they have until Dec. 7 to be on the air. With no settled TX site, I can't see how that's achievable.     

CRTC Decision

October 3, 2018 5:00 pm  #32

CORRECTION

RadioActive wrote:

... may become the next CKNT.

This is a little different though. It looks like on paper they tried to change their CoL and got slapped for that. They were suppose to set up shop in Brampton where the CRTC felt there was a need - not Mississauga.

THEY HAVE UNTIL DEC. 7/2018 TO GET ON THE AIR, according to the decision.

Last edited by andysradio (October 13, 2018 9:36 am)

October 3, 2018 6:49 pm  #33

Maybe they can buy airtime on 960-CKNT?

In the mean time I guess this means I can continue to enjoy WARF, WOYK, WIOU and KRNT after sunset.