sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2018 9:38 pm  #1

CKNT - Music of the 50s 60s 70s and 80s!!??

I've been listening to CKNT a fair bit on the overnights and they've been playing a wide range of music. I've heard a bit of everything from the 50's through the 80s. I haven't heard one song repeated yet. And the music isn't the same old retreads we used to hear on CHUM or as dull as the music sounds on 740. It actually sounds fresh. The only little glitch is that every now and then I am noticing only one channel of a stereo song making it though the mono mix. 

September 20, 2018 9:39 pm  #2

Re: CKNT - Music of the 50s 60s 70s and 80s!!??

Which is interesting, except for one thing - they were licenced as a news/talk format, not an oldies station. I wonder how long they'll be in "soft launch" mode before they actually have to start properly programming the thing. 

September 21, 2018 3:12 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Which is interesting, except for one thing - they were licenced as a news/talk format, not an oldies station. I wonder how long they'll be in "soft launch" mode before they actually have to start properly programming the thing. 

CRTC does not care what a radio station does overnight. 
1220 AM radio in St. Catharines should take note of the music playlist though, lol
Maybe their MD found a temporary home? lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 21, 2018 7:42 am  #4

Perhaps that's true. But they're still playing music as of this posting, just after 7:30 AM. Plus there doesn't appear to be any live or even pretaped human being there. The thing is obviously on auto pilot. That's certainly not in their promise of performance  to serve the city of Mississauga. (Although I do agree it's an interesting music mix, so that's a bonus!)

As for 1220, I'm not sure it will ever happen. I think the Grapevine has withered and all that's left is a bunch of sour grapes!

September 21, 2018 8:51 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

. . . That's certainly not in their promise of performance to serve the city of Mississauga. (Although I do agree it's an interesting music mix, so that's a bonus!)
!

As someone who lives in Mississauga, I feel well served!! Maybe we play better music than the Toronto stations!

September 21, 2018 10:03 am  #6

alangee wrote:

the music isn't the same old retreads we used to hear on CHUM or as dull as the music sounds on 740. It actually sounds fresh. 

Oldest trick in the book, Alan.     Drag out pre-launch programming as long as possible.     Get people talking about how wonderful it is.   Hope they will re-program a button on the receiver in the vehicle.    When regulators holler "ENOUGH" move to formal launch, brought to you by Magic Windows (the usual crowd).   And hope to retain a few listeners.

Moses Zoomer performed this trick perfectly back in 2010.     

September 21, 2018 10:15 am  #7

Is there an online way to listen to this station?

September 21, 2018 10:18 am  #8

The sad thing is I have yet to hear any PAID clients on the air, (unless doing a show and paying to be on).   To be honest, I have listened a bit and don't find the real connection to the city in their programming.   It sounds like nothing is thought out, and they are just throwing whatever on the air to have something on.   You can't build an audience/client base doing this, especially one that will tune in on a regular basis.    It is very possible to run a 24/7 News Talk Format, that is cost effective and relevant to the community... but so far all I've heard is a bunch of audio from YouTube (likely used without permission), a few talk programs in English done locally, (which you can't hear most of the conversation, due to the audio processing) that sound very college radio, and music thrown in with the shuffle button pressed and dead air all over.   I also have heard 0 NEWS.     If they have any hope, they better start getting serious and figure out a plan, and go with it....   The station can't run long with no next to no income/listeners.   It's clear they are not professionals, but it's a business and it needs to grow and make money.   I think they need to hire someone to manage it with experience in commercial radio to get it off the ground.      Just my 2 cents. 

Last edited by radiokid (September 21, 2018 10:19 am)

September 21, 2018 10:20 am  #9

unclefester wrote:

Move to Mississauga, Fester.   You + Hazel will make a terrific couple

September 21, 2018 10:21 am  #10

radiokid wrote:

The sad thing is I have yet to hear any PAID clients on the air, (unless doing a show and paying to be on).   To be honest, I have listened a bit and don't find the real connection to the city in their programming.   It sounds like nothing is thought out, and they are just throwing whatever on the air to have something on.   You can't build an audience/client base doing this, especially one that will tune in on a regular basis.    It is very possible to run a 24/7 News Talk Format, that is cost effective and relevant to the community... but so far all I've heard is a bunch of audio from YouTube (likely used without permission), a few talk programs in English done locally, (which you can't hear most of the conversation, due to the audio processing) that sound very college radio, and music thrown in with the shuffle button pressed and dead air all over.   I also have heard 0 NEWS.     If they have any hope, they better start getting serious and figure out a plan, and go with it....   The station can't run long with no next to no income/listeners.   It's clear they are not professionals, but it's a business and it needs to grow and make money.   I think they need to hire someone to manage it with experience in commercial radio to get it off the ground.      Just my 2 cents. 

What makes it worse is that they had 7 YEARS to plan for this. And the results sound like they were scratched out on a napkin two weeks ago. And you're right - how is this serving the City of Mississauga?

September 21, 2018 10:22 am  #11

radiokid wrote:

they need to hire someone to manage it with experience in commercial radio to get it off the ground. 

Now that the minimum wage is $14/hour, who can afford professional management?

September 21, 2018 10:23 am  #12

unclefester wrote:

As far as I know, they don't even have an official website yet. So it's off air or nothing. And if you listen to it off air, it's still nothing! 

September 21, 2018 11:15 am  #13

Ms. C. wrote:

radiokid wrote:

they need to hire someone to manage it with experience in commercial radio to get it off the ground. 

Now that the minimum wage is $14/hour, who can afford professional management?

That's an Ontario wage. Radio folks can easily get away with only being paid a Federal wage...or am I wrong about that? This is very old info that I seem to have...

September 21, 2018 1:55 pm  #14

They post almost daily on their instagram and Facebook pages, political parties such as mayor of mississauga interviewed on their station, and other people from the city of brampton. Have I tuned to listen to the interviews? No.

September 21, 2018 1:55 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Perhaps that's true. But they're still playing music as of this posting, just after 7:30 AM. Plus there doesn't appear to be any live or even pretaped human being there.  !

Sleeping in 

September 22, 2018 3:12 am  #16

I still suspect that they'll go live to hockey then switch back to music claiming that something still isn't allowing them to broadcast a talk format properly...gawd! I have no idea how they'll pull that one off though.

September 22, 2018 7:47 pm  #17

Chuck99 wrote:

Agreed. The rights to broadcast The Steelheads are likely inexpensive to acquire, since the team doesn't draw particularly well at the Hershey Centre.

I thought the owner of The Steelheads and CKNT radio were one and the same ?  Maybe I'm mistaken...

September 22, 2018 8:04 pm  #18

No, Elliott Kerr owns both of them. So I'm guessing there won't be a "rights" issue. 

September 22, 2018 8:53 pm  #19

Not to derail the whole thread, but there's nothing in CKNT's license that requires them to air a News/Talk format. They can run these oldies 24/7 if they want.

September 23, 2018 10:50 am  #20

RadioAaron wrote:

They can run these oldies 24/7 if they want.

Not everyone's cuppa tea, but speaking personally I'll stay with them as long as they do

September 27, 2018 11:41 am  #21

Had CKNT 960 here in NW PA this morning.... weak, but it was them... playing oldies music. 

September 27, 2018 11:55 am  #22

Here's how CKNT sounded this morning about 1030am in NW PA, 80 miles southeast of Erie, 60 miles south of Jamestown NY. Two audio clips at the link below 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rcNs9a_rRjy1mXfFJiuDEbyGz-VqrOTz/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jlcPIKlIp1dk3FrGaqUy-H0tiqGpUODP/view?usp=sharing

September 27, 2018 12:06 pm  #23

RadioPaulPA wrote:

Here's how CKNT sounded this morning about 1030am in NW PA, 80 miles southeast of Erie, 60 miles south of Jamestown NY. Two audio clips at the link below 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rcNs9a_rRjy1mXfFJiuDEbyGz-VqrOTz/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jlcPIKlIp1dk3FrGaqUy-H0tiqGpUODP/view?usp=sharing

Thats impressive actually

September 27, 2018 12:09 pm  #24

RadioPaulPA wrote:

Flip them an email @ cknt960@gmail.com with those links. I'm sure they'd be interested 

September 27, 2018 12:47 pm  #25

DeepTracks wrote:

RadioPaulPA wrote:

Flip them an email @ cknt960@gmail.com with those links. I'm sure they'd be interested 

They seem very interested in their station 

September 27, 2018 1:07 pm  #26

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

RadioPaulPA wrote:

Curious what you're using for a receiver and antenna.

A 300 foot longwire antenna on the ground in the woods... a signal amplifier that kicks it up a few notches and a tecsun pl880.

The pl880 isnt made for AM, it's really more for Shortwave radio... if I'd had something geared towards AM, like a JRC NRD535D or Lowe HF225 like I used to have, I suspect CKNT would've been a bit better.

Last edited by RadioPaulPA (September 27, 2018 1:08 pm)

September 29, 2018 7:11 pm  #27

I found a facebook page for Sauga 960.. it looks like they're using Winamp to play out their music in between live talk shows, of which they have a few.  I got a look at the studio in a live video they did and recognized Winamp immediately.  Search Sauga 960 on Facebook.. they have a basic website with a webstream too.  

I don't think the Sauga 960 format whips the llama's ass though.

September 29, 2018 9:35 pm  #28

i thought winamp was shut down years ago?  i mean, i still use it on my computer, but there haven't been updates or new features for a long time.

September 29, 2018 10:27 pm  #29

RadioPaulPAThanks for the tip on the web site I found it and it does have a live stream. I was curious to listen b/c of the music. Feed seems to be mono. I recently posted recordings from the 1050 CHUM internet stream from 2009 and I was sure that internet stream was in stereo but they were in mono on the days I made the recordings. I enjoy the old music in stereo.

Audio quality not great for music on their current feed and nor was the music. I lasted about 10 mintes and am out now.

https://sauga960am.ca/

Last edited by Fitz (September 29, 2018 10:37 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 30, 2018 11:00 am  #30

Waits for someone to get my ".. but the Sauga 960 format doesnt whip the llamas ass".. joke lol

@Fitz.. glad to help    IT looks like CKNT should possibly produce a respectable signal here for what they are .. so I'll make some recordings from time to time.   1410 is empty here otherwise, 1400 and 1420 have semi locals..... 1400 is 1kw from about 10 miles away but its down in a valley.  1420 is 5kw from 25 miles away down in a valley.. so 1410 is nice and empty here.