sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2018 6:51 pm  #1

Alan Cross new image voice on Q!

Personally, I think he sounds excellent! I doubt Q will ever be able to replace David Kaye, but Alan sounds really good so far. Thoughts?

September 24, 2018 7:35 pm  #2

Re: Alan Cross new image voice on Q!

Is this leading up to a new "positioning" strategy to come? New announcers, new music format, etc.

I am just wondering if it is...as Q is getting beaten badly by Boom...

Comments, ideas as well are accepted.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 24, 2018 8:00 pm  #3

They did tweak the music today, breaking from the Rock 101 Vancouver playlist they'd been running, adding some older 'alternative' tracks from Killers, Blink 182, Green Day, etc. 

The Alan Cross stuff sounds great, but they're mostly running really short, heavily filtered versions - and I'd wonder if the average listener would even notice it's him. He works best when he's explaining stuff. 

September 25, 2018 8:24 am  #4

They are now positioning themselves as "Toronto's Rock Station" (no longer "The Best Music On Earth"). Sort of goes with 102.1 The Edge "Toronto's Alternative" 

September 25, 2018 9:26 am  #5

Storm wrote:

They are now positioning themselves as "Toronto's Rock Station"

That's similar to what they tried about four years ago, although not with great success. Probably because their playlist became 90's intensive practically overnight. This time around it sounds like they've got the mix down better. Hopefully it works. It's good to hear Q107 rocking again.

PJ  

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 25, 2018 12:29 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

They did tweak the music today, breaking from the Rock 101 Vancouver playlist they'd been running,

I thought they were running the Big FM playlist....?
Why are they not simply airing the Peterborough Wolf FM playlist?
I shouldn't ask, lol...it's actually good that the Mighty Q is not a cookie cutter sound anymore.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 25, 2018 12:59 pm  #7

I really like Q107 and sometimes choose it over Boom.  I dont know why people have so much hate over the Q playlist.  The Edge on the other hand is nothing but commercials and their paltry playlist of 2013 and 90s

September 25, 2018 1:04 pm  #8

markow202 wrote:

...I dont know why people have so much hate over the Q playlist...

Needs more Motorhead.

September 25, 2018 5:20 pm  #9

There is an interesting article written by Brian Cook on the Puget Sound Radio board regarding Corus and recent and future changes in on air staff.

https://www.pugetsoundradio.com/2018/09/23/my-take-on-the-changes-at-corus/

September 25, 2018 9:35 pm  #10

Not a lot new in this article, but for what it's worth, it appeared on the Global News website.

Alan Cross joins Toronto’s Q107 radio station as the new voice of rock

September 25, 2018 9:36 pm  #11

Storm wrote:

There is an interesting article written by Brian Cook on the Puget Sound Radio board regarding Corus and recent and future changes in on air staff.

https://www.pugetsoundradio.com/2018/09/23/my-take-on-the-changes-at-corus/

I don't really think he is wrong. Looking at other posts he has made it seems he has a fairly good track record with things. Based on the latest trends Corus is making I think he could be on to something in terms of the rock stations Corus owns but it makes me wonder why no mention of The Wolf in Peterborough. I know they are pretty damn good so maybe he felt he didn't need to include them in his post.

September 26, 2018 7:42 am  #12

September 26, 2018 8:17 pm  #13

Aside from the "voice", Q in some ways seems to have pushed reset back about four years. At that time the playlist balance was a very healthy dose of classic rock with 90's and a sprinkling of tunes from the first decade of this century, much like it is now. At that time the slogan was also "Toronto's Rock Station" which soon after was shortened to "Toronto's Rock", followed by "Great hits and real classics" and finally the most meaningless identifier of them all - "The best music on earth". Talk about an image crisis - four sell lines in as many years. 
It seems now the the go head-to-head with BOOM experiment from the past two plus years is over and hopefully spells the end of hearing tracks such as "Jessie's Girl" which at one time would have been unthinkable to play on Q. Still, as Alan Cross outlines, with EDGE in the same stable, they will continue to avoid treading too far into the 2000's to minimize overlap.    
It's somewhat interesting they're adopting this slogan while 94.9 in Oshawa has been calling itself the "GTA's Rock Station" for some time in their continual quest to gain a foothold in the big smoke. 

September 27, 2018 6:53 pm  #14

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

They did tweak the music today, breaking from the Rock 101 Vancouver playlist they'd been running,

I thought they were running the Big FM playlist....?
Why are they not simply airing the Peterborough Wolf FM playlist?
I shouldn't ask, lol...it's actually good that the Mighty Q is not a cookie cutter sound anymore.

It is (was) also the BIG-FM playlist. It originates at ROCK 101 Vancouver and airs on Q107 Calgary and BIG-FM Barrie and Kingston.

October 25, 2018 8:50 pm  #15

kman wrote:

They seem to be moving Edge music over to Q, I noticed Q now plays The Black Keys, Coldplay, Jet, Sam Roberts, The Killers, The Arkells, The Trews, Radiohead, The Headstones, Sloan, The Black Keys, Green Day, etc. Might a format flip be coming to The Edge?, maybe the big idea is to move Edge listeners over to Q after all Fred and Alan are definitive Edge personalities, so with them transitioning to Q and modern rock moving to Q it might just be in the works.

You may have a point in terms of the personality moves but I have checked their playlist a few times since your post and maybe not so much in that respect. They have tweaked their playlist a bit but have a look at part of the playlist from today:

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 14, 2018 11:18 am  #16

FYImusicnews.ca noticed this article on the SOCAN website. It's about Alan Cross and it details what he does in a typical day. 

Why Alan Cross Is Such A Busy Guy

What strikes me about the piece is how much of his work is done from his house. In the days before I left radio to work in TV, none of that was - you should pardon the expression - remotely possible. And while I'm sure it's very convenient and better for all those involved, I wonder if anyone else feels the way I do - that it's better to actually be in the station than to file something from a home studio.

There's just something about the presence of a radio environment that seemed to bring out the best in me. And I think I would miss that atmosphere if I could do everything from home. 

That said, it sure would be nice to not have that commute and all the other hassles that come with being in the office!

Anyway, congratulations to Mr. Cross, who seems to have found a happy medium in what these days is not always such a happy medium.