sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2015 11:54 pm  #1

Man who brought the hits to Hamilton tells all

The Hamilton Spectator ran a column by Paul Wilson today profiling Nevin Grant and his 37 year career at CKOC 1150...

http://www.thespec.com/living-story/6142643-paul-wilson-man-who-brought-the-hits-to-hamilton-tells-all/

December 2, 2015 12:58 pm  #2

Re: Man who brought the hits to Hamilton tells all

To quote the article:
Last year that number had plummeted to 154,000

But in January of 1992, hadn't that number gone down to 4,000+ in their final CHR days?  We seem to forget that time, because at least in the 90s and 2000s they were still a music station, but ditching CHR was big deal for CKOC back then (to me at least ... lol).

PS... Nevin mentions Hal Waggoner's Melody Lane.  That was the Centre Mall store just outside of Sears to the left, wasn't it?  (I went to a Melody Fair or Lane store as a kid in the 70s and early 80s at that spot with a blue facade, but I wondered if they were one and the same?)

Last edited by Jody Thornton (December 2, 2015 1:01 pm)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 3, 2015 8:48 am  #3

I always thought that "Melody Fair" referred to the music performance theatre in Buffalo N.Y.  

December 3, 2015 9:26 am  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

I always thought that "Melody Fair" referred to the music performance theatre in Buffalo N.Y.  

You're right (at least that it was something in Buffalo) because I remember spots running that mentioned the name on KB and Rock 102.  I'm trying to think the Buffalo voice over guy that was always on those spots (I don't think he was employed by WBEN, but I can't be sure)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton