sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2018 9:29 am  #1

Bill Gable has died.

Sad to report that Bill Gable legendary broadcaster has died.  He retired from AM 740 in 2014.  He was best known as one of the  legendary voices of The Big 8 CKLW in Windsor.  He died of complications; from COPD; in Windsor.  He was truly one of the good ones.

RIP Bill

Last edited by John D (September 19, 2018 9:30 am)

September 19, 2018 12:44 pm  #2

Re: Bill Gable has died.

Geez, this is stunning news, so sad to hear this. As Tim says, such a nice, decent guy.
Bill was easily one of the best of the best at the Big 8, or anywhere else he worked, for that
matter. We've just lost one of the Legends, yes, with a capital "L."
Bill was someone who could sound great in any format (example: at CKLW or doing Smooth Jazz
in Orlando).
Our thoughts are with Lisa, Noah and Bill's former wife, Patty.

[Edit] Pat Holiday has a nice tribute on his Facebook page. If I knew how to copy it, I'd post it here.

Last edited by mike marshall (September 19, 2018 1:41 pm)

September 19, 2018 8:36 pm  #3

More sad news. Bill Gable was a class act and a very nice guy. I was lucky enough to work with him for a time and he was as talented as he was generous with his time. When he was PD at CFTR, he instituted playing an oldie or two during several dayparts and for some reason, the TR library didn't have "Keep on Dancing" by the Gentrys. 

It turned out I had a copy and lent it to him. He promised to return it but he never did. For years afterwards, whenever I saw him, I'd jokingly remind him he still owed me my 45 back. It's OK, Bill - you can keep it now and I forgive you!

What a talent. He could adapt to any format and when he was on CKLW, most of the audience thought he was black. A wonderful man, an increasingly rare kind in this biz. RIP. 

Pat Holiday's remembrance can be seen here.

Art Vuolo has just put up a video tribute on YouTube. It's pretty amazing and it contains Bill saying this: "When I'm gone, who's going to tell the children about Bo Diddley?"

September 19, 2018 9:12 pm  #4

Damn I hate these posts. Far too many as of late.

I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Bill but I certainly knew of him.

Isn't that the way in radio? .Listened to him out of Windsor during my high school days.

Near the end he told his loved ones that he wished he had never smoked.

And he encouraged everyone to never start.

R.I.P. Bill Gable