sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2015 8:59 am  #1

Talk radio is spreading fear and hatred about Syrian refugees

Am I the only one who has concerns about what right wing talk radio hosts and their listeners are saying about Syrian refugees coming to Canada. Listening to talk radio in Toronto and across the country, I’ve lost count how many times callers refer to the refugees as “terrorists” and the hosts say nothing to distance themselves from these kind of comments.

I don’t know about you, but I expect a bit more – no make that a lot more – from opinion makers with access to a 50,000 watt microphone in 2015.

And it's not just on air, it's reinforced in some of their social media postings. Like this one:

“I am (supportive/laughing) at the Trudeau government’s admission they (will continue to work with/failed) their (compassionate/ridiculous) pledge to (resettle/infect) Canada with 25,000 (Syrian/Klingon warrior) refugees.”

Really, these men, woman and children who are fleeing for their lives from terrorists in their homeland and seeking safe haven in Canada are going to infect Canadians. With what? Doesn’t this sound like what Canadians said about the Irish, the Jews, the Italians, the Greeks and all other immigrants who came to Canada after World War II.

Early in 1945 an unidentified immigration agent was asked how many Jews would be allowed in Canada after the war. He replied “None is too many”. Sounds like a good name for the theme of right wing talk show hosts and their listeners these days.

This is not the United States where it's the wild west out there. 

In Canada, the art of practicing freedom of speech on the radio comes with a heavy burden of rules and regulations enforced by the CRTC and the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC). The code of ethics these two regulatory bodies make obligatory, were written by the CAB and the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA). It is important for anyone who speaks on the radio, in any format, understand all these guidelines.

Talk show hosts may not like these guidelines but their employers signed off on them and even run spots bragging they respect the CBSC guidelines. 

http://kowchmedia.com/is-right-wing-talk-radio-spreading-hatred-about-syrian-refugees/

November 27, 2015 3:42 pm  #2

Re: Talk radio is spreading fear and hatred about Syrian refugees

Steve, you could have mentioned my Facebook post by name if you were looking to roast me as "right wing".  The point of my post was that on Facebook people are being ridiculous on the issue..an issue I haven't attempted as a topic for that exact reason.  I guess you didn't interpret the post as intended.  Sorry about that.  Feels just like when you were "the boss".

November 27, 2015 4:10 pm  #3

kowchmedia wrote:

Am I the only one who has concerns about what right wing talk radio hosts and their listeners are saying about Syrian refugees coming to Canada. Listening to talk radio in Toronto and across the country, I’ve lost count how many times callers refer to the refugees as “terrorists” and the hosts say nothing to distance themselves from these kind of comments.

I don’t know about you, but I expect a bit more – no make that a lot more – from opinion makers with access to a 50,000 watt microphone in 2015.

it's not just the syrian refugee issue .. it's "anything liberal".

McArthur, Carroll, Agar discussing anything from a liberal camp & the odds are very good their voice\tone will be dripping with mocking disdain. 

Agar's bombastic style often hinders true, reasonable discussion.  plus his constant ploy of slipping in a snide, condescending comment & then closing off the topic discussion so he gets "the last word" is slimy.  Listening to a polite, calm Moore or Bindixen present a counter to Agar's view point and listening to the resulting Agar bluster is amusing.

Carroll discussing local Toronto issues is particular irksome given his L.A. base.  Sure, have an opinion but don't pretend you live in Toronto & are totally versed on the current daily Toronto experience.

McArthur is the worst of the bunch as he barely does any topic research & frankly often is just dim.  i can't count the number of times i've turned off McArthur with amazement he actually has a show.  

i honestly like hearing viewpoints from all sides of the political spectrum.  only by listening & being open-minded can we collectively move forward on good compromise on common ground.  what i despise is the mocking disrespect & non-discussion so prevalent with many of the "right wing" talking heads.   John Moore's "Viewpoint" program is an excellent example of good adult discussion.

dealing with such worldwide atrocities as Isis, Syrian refugees, Paris terrorist attacks demands intelligent discussion, not flame-throwing rhetoric. have license to broadcast does mandate responsibility.

quality wise, Stafford & Moore are "head & shoulders" above all other Toronto talk hosts. 

November 27, 2015 7:46 pm  #4

Anyone seriously know what the demos are nowadays for 640 and 1010 in Toronto?...I'm guessing 70% 50 year old+ white men from the 905?....bombastic right wing hyperbole must feed their need?

November 27, 2015 7:52 pm  #5

Johnny B wrote:

Anyone seriously know what the demos are nowadays for 640 and 1010 in Toronto?...I'm guessing 70% 50 year old+ white men from the 905?....bombastic right wing hyperbole must feed their need?

My 29-year old son is an avid listener to 1010. I guess I messed him up when he was a teenager and I was listening fulltime. ;-)  I'm surpised his car's dash is still in one piece.

Mind you, if he continues to follow my lead, he'll mellow out sooner or later.

November 28, 2015 11:58 am  #6

g121 wrote:

kowchmedia wrote:

it's not just the syrian refugee issue .. it's "anything liberal".

McArthur, Carroll, Agar discussing anything from a liberal camp & the odds are very good their voice\tone will be dripping with mocking disdain. 

Agar's bombastic style often hinders true, reasonable discussion.  plus his constant ploy of slipping in a snide, condescending comment & then closing off the topic discussion so he gets "the last word" is slimy.  Listening to a polite, calm Moore or Bindixen present a counter to Agar's view point and listening to the resulting Agar bluster is amusing.

Carroll discussing local Toronto issues is particular irksome given his L.A. base.  Sure, have an opinion but don't pretend you live in Toronto & are totally versed on the current daily Toronto experience.

McArthur is the worst of the bunch as he barely does any topic research & frankly often is just dim.  i can't count the number of times i've turned off McArthur with amazement he actually has a show.  

i honestly like hearing viewpoints from all sides of the political spectrum.  only by listening & being open-minded can we collectively move forward on good compromise on common ground.  what i despise is the mocking disrespect & non-discussion so prevalent with many of the "right wing" talking heads.   John Moore's "Viewpoint" program is an excellent example of good adult discussion.

dealing with such worldwide atrocities as Isis, Syrian refugees, Paris terrorist attacks demands intelligent discussion, not flame-throwing rhetoric. have license to broadcast does mandate responsibility.

quality wise, Stafford & Moore are "head & shoulders" above all other Toronto talk hosts. 

At one time, talk radio was neither "right wing" or "left wing." It was just talk radio, and all opinions were welcomed, and nobody was mocked or ridiculed for their opinions.

I think we're too quick to put labels on people. Nowadays it seems you're either "right wing" or "left wing." But a lot of people are close to the centre politically, with some views that could be described as "right of centre" and others that could be described as "left of centre." So a person can be both "left" and "right." For example a person can be "right wing" on economic issues, and "left wing" on social issues.

Talk show hosts should welcome all points of view, and treat callers with respect as everyone is entitled to his-her point of view.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 28, 2015 1:32 pm  #7

You think Toronto talk radio is bad?

I DARE you to listen to Tom Bauerle on WBEN. Within about 15 minutes, you'll either be ready to rip the radio right out of the car and throw it away, start having medical issues or get into an accident. That's how repellent his takes are.

November 28, 2015 2:19 pm  #8

Johnny B wrote:

Anyone seriously know what the demos are nowadays for 640 and 1010 in Toronto?

In (somewhat) related news, Sunni from Richmond Hill, once a John Oakley staple has gravitated to Dale Goldhawk on Zoom/Zoom 740.    Sunni an old age pensioner?     Who would have guessed?

Last edited by Kilgore (November 28, 2015 2:19 pm)

November 28, 2015 8:40 pm  #9

ckg927 wrote:

You think Toronto talk radio is bad?

I DARE you to listen to Tom Bauerle on WBEN. Within about 15 minutes, you'll either be ready to rip the radio right out of the car and throw it away, start having medical issues or get into an accident. That's how repellent his takes are.

Totally agree with your point here. I can't keep the dial on WBEN for more than two minutes. Also agree with the poster who pointed out that John Moore sets a good example for TO talk radio but someone needs to point out to him that Darlene Love was not a  part of Motown,

Even the so called left leaning mainstream media in the US such as CNN is complicit in the spread of outright lies by the likes of Donald Trump and their own reporters. Glenn Greenwald does a good job of pointing that out here

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/