sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2018 12:45 pm  #1

When your media career ends...why not go into politics...

In Durham Region, quite a few of the local municipal election hopefuls are current media hacks and former media personalities are jumping into the political arena...

Here is the lowdown...

https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/8817349-durham-hopefuls-jumping-from-the-media-world-to-politics/

So, what is your take ...do you feel media folk, make good politicians...if so why and if not, why not?

Cheers!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

August 17, 2018 2:58 pm  #2

Re: When your media career ends...why not go into politics...

For true reporters and journalists there is supposed to be a semblance of balance and non-bias when they are working in the media world...so entering the political spectrum clearly exposes their beliefs...For opinion columnists and talk show hosts this is less of a problem as some people read and tune into them specifically for these beliefs.

And then there is this quote from our former PM:
“Politicians know they have to stick to a message,” Harper told Garth Turner, one of his MPs in 2006 who wrote a book about his experiences in Ottawa. “That’s how they are successful. Journalists think they always have to tell the truth,” 

August 17, 2018 3:51 pm  #3

As an aside to this topic, I'm wondering what the regs are regarding who can appear on talk shows as a panelist when they're running for office.

In the past 24 hours, I've heard Knia Singh on CFRB's Round Table, despite the fact he's running for Toronto mayor and Karlene Nation, who's vying for a position in what's currently Ward 20 (which could change if Doug Ford's council shrinkage plan goes into effect as expected) on GNR 640. 

I well remember John Tory having to quit his 1010 afternoon drive show once he officially entered the race. It's one thing to interview a candidate on where they stand on election issues. It's quite another to give them an open platform to pontificate on anything and everything, raising their profiles on an hour of free radio time, while not giving their opponents the same chance. 

Are there rules or timelines that govern when they can and can't appear on these shows?

August 17, 2018 4:13 pm  #4

As far as i know RA, the onus is on the station to ensure "balance".  So if one mayoral candidate gets 15 minutes, all others should have the same opportunity.  The candidate has to request equal time, but the station cannot refuse once the first candidate is put on air.  It is similar to balance in religious programming.

I recall in the 80s CBC dedicated 5 minutes after the national/journal for political time... watching the rhinoceros party leader smoke and drink his way through a rant with his feet up on the desk.

oh how i long for those days of fringe candidates staying on the fringe.

August 17, 2018 4:45 pm  #5

splunge wrote:

As far as i know RA, the onus is on the station to ensure "balance".  So if one mayoral candidate gets 15 minutes, all others should have the same opportunity.  The candidate has to request equal time, but the station cannot refuse once the first candidate is put on air.  It is similar to balance in religious programming.

I recall in the 80s CBC dedicated 5 minutes after the national/journal for political time... watching the rhinoceros party leader smoke and drink his way through a rant with his feet up on the desk.

oh how i long for those days of fringe candidates staying on the fringe.

So if I read you right, if Knia Singh gets his 15 minutes on the Roundtable in the morning (and he's a weekly regular) then theoretically so should John Tory and Jennifer Keesmaat if they insisted.

But that would also apply to whoever is this year's equivalent of Running Ben Kerr. And while that would make for some very interesting radio, I'm pretty sure no station in their right mind would want to give some of these off kilter candidates their 15 minutes of fame. 

August 17, 2018 5:15 pm  #6

it has been awhile since i visited this reg, but yes, "balanced" and "equitable" are the buzz words. It doesn't have to be a minute-to-minute comparison, but no candidate can be refused airtime once the first person is broadcast.

Should an on-air "personality" run as a candidate, all on-air hosting activities must halt immediately following the declaration. 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/television/publicit/pol.htm
and
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/industr/tvradio/guidelec.htm

August 22, 2018 10:11 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

As an aside to this topic, I'm wondering what the regs are regarding who can appear on talk shows as a panelist when they're running for office.

In the past 24 hours, I've heard Knia Singh on CFRB's Round Table, despite the fact he's running for Toronto mayor and Karlene Nation, who's vying for a position in what's currently Ward 20 (which could change if Doug Ford's council shrinkage plan goes into effect as expected) on GNR 640. 

I well remember John Tory having to quit his 1010 afternoon drive show once he officially entered the race. It's one thing to interview a candidate on where they stand on election issues. It's quite another to give them an open platform to pontificate on anything and everything, raising their profiles on an hour of free radio time, while not giving their opponents the same chance. 

Are there rules or timelines that govern when they can and can't appear on these shows?

Jerry Agar appears to have answered my question on Wednesday morning's show. He revealed that frequent panelist John Burnside, a Toronto city councillor, will be on for the last time before the election next week. As of Labour Day, all possible candidates in the municipal election will be gone, unless they appear for a separate interview in that specific role. 

I'm not sure if this is a self-imposed CFRB rule or is decided by law. Either way, it appears you won't be hearing a lot of familiar voices starting in September.

August 22, 2018 5:52 pm  #8

Media folks worth their salt know what's going on in their communities, towns and cities.  They'll often  have a good inkling for the issues...both sides worth.  Media people can make for good candidates.  [or press secretaries at the very least.]  AND name recognition is certainly a leg up.  It IS an option...as a part time extra.  Although in a LOT of places...the dough is almost not enough to cover expenses for anyone serious about representing the constituents.  In order to do that successfully one has to actually head out and spend time with them.  [and stop talking...long enough to listen.]

August 22, 2018 6:40 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Either way, it appears you won't be hearing a lot of familiar voices starting in September.

More space for fresh PR muffins! We all love to hear what they think!

Last edited by Chrisphen (August 22, 2018 6:40 pm)