sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2018 9:38 pm  #1

CKNT Celebrates Dubious Milestone

Saturday, August 18th marks exactly two months(!) since CKNT, the new AM station in Mississauga, finally signed on the air with a test signal. It came seven years after they were first awarded a license! After all that delay, you might think they would want to get to the real thing by now. But no, they're still in a "testing" mode. 

I have no idea what's delaying this moribund station, although I suspect they never hired anyone and didn't have their act together, so now they're in endless test mode, vamping till ready. Is there any CRTC edict about how long a new outlet can go before they have to actually start airing real programming? 

Because I have news for this eventual news/talk formatted newcomer - you've passed the "test." Time to get on with it already! 

August 18, 2018 10:42 pm  #2

Re: CKNT Celebrates Dubious Milestone

RadioActive wrote:

I have news for this eventual news/talk formatted newcomer - you've passed the "test." Time to get on with it already! 

What is the record for longest "Test" ever? 
Are there any specific and honest interferences currently? 
Can anyone identify any? 
Preferably ones that are in CKNT's proper intended listening area... 

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 18, 2018 10:43 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 18, 2018 11:44 pm  #3

a test period is required by ISED,  once ISED signs off, the crtc issues a broadcast certificate. that has likely happened, although i don't know how to verify.

AM stations are not specifically required to adhere to a local programming policy, unless it's a col. so these guys could theoretically go until their next renewal with the current programming carrying just enough paid content to keep the lights on. 

August 21, 2018 11:12 am  #4

It just gets more and more surreal with this station. On Tuesday, the CRTC officially renewed the license for CKNT, even though it's not even really on the air! I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a radio outlet getting its ability to broadcasting re-sanctioned, without it actually broadcasting any regular promised programming. Is this a first?

The term is only five years, as the CRTC noted in its decision:

"Commission records indicate that the station was not in operation for the majority of the current licence term. This short-term renewal will allow for an earlier review of the licensee’s compliance with regulatory requirements over the course of the next licence term." 

We can only hope they're finished testing by 2023, which is the next time they're due to go before the Solons in Hull.

"Curioser and curioser," cried Alice. 

CRTC Decision 

August 21, 2018 1:15 pm  #5

Some of their "testing" programming is bizarre lol.   

August 21, 2018 1:38 pm  #6

What worries me is that it may be better than what they'll offer after Sept. 4th!