sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2018 1:44 pm  #1

When A Music Legend Dies, How Do Automated Radio Stations React?

Interesting question based on something that happened last week - the death of Aretha Franklin.

When a Music Legend Dies, How Does Today’s Mostly Automated Radio React?

August 20, 2018 1:52 pm  #2

Re: When A Music Legend Dies, How Do Automated Radio Stations React?

It's very easy to insert elements via IVT. Literally takes seconds.

That said, while there seems to be a contest here of the inner sanctum of the Illuminati committee in charge of the Death Watch, do most (and I mean NOT the inside baseball types that frequent here) actually care if an artist receives their toe tag?

August 21, 2018 7:47 am  #3

cGrant wrote:

do most (and I mean NOT the inside baseball types that frequent here) actually care if an artist receives their toe tag?

Babe Ruth (1948), Elvis (1977) and Aretha Franklin (2018) -- Aug. 16 is a date that lives in infamy   

August 21, 2018 8:08 am  #4

And don't forget Robert Johnson geo.  August 16, 1938

August 21, 2018 8:12 am  #5

According to CNN there was very little to absolutely nothing done for the VHI MVA awards last night; for Aretha.  Madonna stood up with some sort of costume on and made mention; but that was a about it.  CNN figured it was a generational thing.  Others on the panel disagreed.

August 21, 2018 9:55 am  #6

cGrant wrote:

It's very easy to insert elements via IVT. Literally takes seconds.

Better fitting, how sudden can someone like John Tesh be available to replace some of his content with "Current happenings" and some music from the recently passed Artist? 
This would cover all stations that use John Tesh. 
(That's quite a few stations!)

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 21, 2018 9:55 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 21, 2018 11:30 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

how sudden can someone like John Tesh be available to replace some of his content with "Current happenings" and some music from the recently passed Artist?  

You don't think he doesn't have pre-produced bits ready to be fired in cases like this? Again, insertion takes literally seconds.

Think of the BBC and the very immanent passing of the Queen. "London bridge is down" protocol has been in place for years. They are dying to use these elements.

August 21, 2018 11:42 am  #8

Can't speak for automated stations, but all news outlets have what they refer to as a "morgue," a pre-written or pre-produced piece on any celebrity or well known person who's reported to be seriously ill. (In fact, most of the big organizations have it on prominent people who are perfectly healthy, just in case.)

Each item contains a list of their accomplishments (hits they made, books they wrote, milestones they're remembered for etc.) It's the reason most media outlets - especially newspapers - are able to get out an obit on a famous death so quickly. All the background is already done and what's added is called a "new top," primarily consisting of the circumstances of their passing, the time and date and other breaking info. 

I know the Canadian Press has a morgue. So does the AP and other news organizations, especially for the Queen and the Pope. I'm sure there's also one on Donald Trump and other living U.S. presidents. 

Many TV newsrooms do it, too. I recall one we did on Mel Lastman when he was very sick with, I think it was malaria. It recounted his time as both a businessman and the mayor, the infamous tank in the snow scene, and more. Fortunately, he recovered but I'm pretty sure that tape is still around somewhere, likely needing to be revoiced when that sad time comes.