sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2018 6:24 pm  #1

Streema Is Kinda Keena

After dropping my little AM/FM transistor radio one too many times, I had to figure out another way to access my favorite stations.

The iHeartRadio app's pretty good, but I dumped it because it was a pain in the tocas to switch from 1010 to other non Bell stations and back in the early morning.

I've downloaded the free Streema app, and all my stations are ready to go. Now I can switch around in a flash with the touch of a finger. It takes a day or two to get used to killing the pop-up ads, but the convenience of being able to bounce back and forth from Boom, to 680, to 640, to CBC, to TSN1050, to 102.1 to 1010 makes me willing to live with killing the ads. I barely notice them now.

It's amazing how different everyone on-air sounds now, and how much you can hear mouth sounds, and sibilance.

I'm wondering how you guys are listening to the radio these days. Does it depend where you are? Is there a better app than Streema out there that you use?

I'm planning on buying a new Sony transistor radio cause I just miss it, anybody else still going old school these days?

August 20, 2018 10:27 am  #2

Re: Streema Is Kinda Keena

I use tunein website and apps

August 20, 2018 11:21 am  #3

I use Tune in at home through my Sonos box. For local |Toronto radio you get, in addition to all AM/FM licenced Toronto signals,  820,900,93.5,94.7,102.9,107.9 from Hamilton. 94.9, 95.9,107.7 from Durham. 610,97.7,105.7 from St.Catharines. MYFM from Alliston, Orangeville. 88.5,105.9 from Markham. 106.1 from Guelph. 1250 from Oakville. Plus college stations from Brock, McMaster, Guelph, Humber, Mohawk. For my smart phone I use either Simple Radio or My Tuner.

August 20, 2018 4:17 pm  #4

Interesting.  I never have replaced my trusty old Grundig when it bit the dust a while ago.  The main reason I wanted an actual radio was in the event of power loss  but it really hasn't been a major issue -- yet.

I use TuneIn.  Works great and even lets you rewind the stream if you want to listen to something again.  There are ads, but they take the form of a 30 second audio ad at the start of the stream.  That could be annoying if you like flipping around.  If you're into long-form listening, it's probably the most unobtrusive.

Tried Simple Radio from Streema and it's actually quite nice and responsive for quick flipping but the pop up ads get really frustrating.

Last edited by Peter the K (August 20, 2018 4:18 pm)