sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2018 4:52 pm  #1

Rockradioscrapbook's 1000th Entry Features An Amazing CHUM Milestone

Dale Patterson, who originally founded the SOWNY board way back in the early days of the web, is celebrating an amazing 1,000 weeks of updating his Rockradioscrapbook page of airchecks, line-ups and other radio facts from the golden age of Top 40. The site, founded in 1996, now features an unbelievable 1,240 audio exhibits - and there are more to come.

But this week's special milestone includes, well, a special milestone. Dale has unveiled a montage of every #1 CHUM Chart song from May 1957 until the last official listing was issued in 1986. It took him three months to put it together and it also includes some vintage CHUM jingles in the mix.

It's an astounding effort that runs more than an hour and brings back a lot of classics you may not have realized hit the top of the CHUM Chart. 

You can hear it here.

Congratulations to Dale. His site may have been around for more than 20 years, but it's still in my Top 10!

August 6, 2018 7:35 am  #2

Re: Rockradioscrapbook's 1000th Entry Features An Amazing CHUM Milestone

A very interesting listen. Am up to 1961 and have enjoyed the songs so far, more so than I thought I would as I am more of a late 60's early 1970's person ( when it comes to top 40) but got to know all those older songs listening to oldies radio over the years.Have not heard some for a long time even though they were number one in Toronto and some I had never heard before.

Elvis has the most hits up to now ( some double-sided) with maybe the Everlys second. My guess would be that even though Elvis has very few # 1's after 1965 ( maybe In the Ghetto, Suspicious Mind and Kentucky Rain ?). He probably had the most #1's on CHUM. Always enjoyed The Beatles more but they were only releasing new material from 1963-1970 and I think Elvis has them beat CHUM Chart-wise,

I will not be able to make it much past 1974 as the sholock factor rises greatly on Top 40 radio after that point.

PS did not realize that Travling Man/Hello Mary Lou was a double sided hit by Rick Nelson but he was a bright light during the teen idol era and had a nice country rock revival starting with his cover of Dylan's She Belongs to Me.

Last edited by Fitz (August 6, 2018 7:58 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 6, 2018 7:52 am  #3

Dale, thank you for your ongoing passion that I share with you.  RADIO.  I know it’s been a labor of love and this latest project was, I’m sure, labour intensive.  Thanks again Dale for everything you do.

August 6, 2018 8:38 am  #4

Dale I decided to follow along with copies of my CHUM charts from 1966-69 and I can see why some might want to omit the song but Georgy Girl is missing after Tell it to The Rain

Also did not remember that so many great B sides made the tops on CHUM such as Rain by The Beatles and We Love You by The Stones. 

I think I heard I am the Walrus which was the b-side to Hello/Goodbye but I don't think that was actually  number one even though it was played.

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 6, 2018 12:46 pm  #5

Thank you Dale for putting all that music together. What was really neat for me was listening to all the songs from 1963 when I first started listening to rock n roll and CHUM at the age of 10. It was interesting listening from that point on and seeing how the music and my taste in top 40 changed as the years progressed. I can certainly see why I started listening to CHUM-FM in the late 60’s. By the mid 70s I had pretty well given up on Top 40, but interestingly liked it again for a bit in the early to mid 80s. Anyway it was nice having this retrospective to listen to. Thanks again Dale.

August 6, 2018 3:17 pm  #6

Fitz wrote:

Dale I decided to follow along with copies of my CHUM charts from 1966-69 and I can see why some might want to omit the song but Georgy Girl is missing after Tell it to The Rain

Also did not remember that so many great B sides made the tops on CHUM such as Rain by The Beatles and We Love You by The Stones. 

I think I heard I am the Walrus which was the b-side to Hello/Goodbye but I don't think that was actually number one even though it was played.

I've added "Georgy Girl." Thanks for the heads up.

You're right about "I Am The Walrus." Even though it charted as a side two of a double-sided hit almost everywhere, it didn't do so on CHUM. So I've taken it out. Some B-sides - like "Jealous of You" by Connie Francis really just piggy-backed on the A-side but if CHUM listed it as double-sided hit, I included it.

Thanks again Fitz. If you notice anything else, please let me know.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 6, 2018 7:39 pm  #7

Thanks for a great and fun montage Dale!

A few more observations.

Amazing that the Who had three number ones pre mega-fame with Tommy, Live at Leeds, Who's Next etc. Happy Jack, I Can see for Milers and Magic Bus. These did not chart at number one in Billboard or in most markets. Donovan had a great streak of Sunshine Superman, Mellow Yellow and Hurdy Gurdy Man.CCR must have set a record of percentage of double sided hits though the Beatles sound like they have the lead in total double sided hits.

Also I figured out when the decline started. When Leapy Lee made it to number one in late 1968

Last edited by Fitz (August 6, 2018 7:45 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 7, 2018 7:04 am  #8

alangee wrote:

Thank you Dale for putting all that music together. What was really neat for me was listening to all the songs from 1963 when I first started listening to rock n roll and CHUM at the age of 10. It was interesting listening from that point on and seeing how the music and my taste in top 40 changed as the years progressed. I can certainly see why I started listening to CHUM-FM in the late 60’s. By the mid 70s I had pretty well given up on Top 40, but interestingly liked it again for a bit in the early to mid 80s. Anyway it was nice having this retrospective to listen to. Thanks again Dale.

I listened to the entire clip and there was actually an uptick in quality starting in the late 1970's to early 80's. XTC, Blondie, B52's, The Police, The Cars etc. Did not listen to AM radio much back then but the music did improve.

Cool Airchecks and More: