sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2018 11:16 am  #1

Morning Show out at 102.1 the Edge

hearing that the edge morning show was axed today... 

August 2, 2018 5:35 pm  #2

Re: Morning Show out at 102.1 the Edge

I have a lot of time for Adam, he's a natural on-air. When he was doing other shifts, listeners had a chance to hear his enthusiasm for just being a jock, talking to, not at the listeners, loving the music, and supporting the bands. Including U.S.S., a personal favorite of mine, Adam and 102.1 introduced myself and the rest of the world to them.

I tried listening to Melani and Adam during the weekdays, but eventually stopped because there was very little of them to be heard, and way too much going straight into ads from a song, and then back into music after a station ID.

I don't think they had a chance from day one the way the show was structured.

Dear Melani and Adam, it wasn't you, it was them. But I bet you know that.

Side question: there's no way Dean Blundell could be part of.... nah, it's not even worth finishing the sentence... 

Last edited by betaylored (August 2, 2018 5:40 pm)

August 2, 2018 5:44 pm  #3

This station can do whatever they want because of the heavy amount of ads.  Never heard so many ads on a station.  Two songs --> 6 ads. 

August 2, 2018 5:50 pm  #4

So Corus recognizes their morning show needed improvement? They do know they also own 640, right?

August 2, 2018 7:43 pm  #5

Continuing with the above thought, Corus also owns Q 107. 

August 3, 2018 8:36 pm  #6

According to TorontoMike.com, also exiting The Edge is Fearless Fred. But he's heading to afternoon drive at Q107.

August 4, 2018 2:56 am  #7

wade macneil gone as well. 
not sure what the big plan is -- am curious!

August 4, 2018 2:59 am  #8

also: mel and adam were lovely folks who worked very hard there. corus is a tough place to be - no loyalty to hosts whatsoever. soon it might just be an empty building?

August 4, 2018 12:45 pm  #9

centrifugalface wrote:

corus is a tough place to be - no loyalty to hosts whatsoever.

What loyalty, exactly, would you have a station do to its employees?  If YOU ran the business and the stock has been falling for a while, what would you do? If the product is based on ratings and those are flat, would you keep dead wood around when there's a possibility of improvement?

Many on here seem to expect a "job for life" with absolutely no pushback from management. Speaking of, it's management's DUTY to return excellent value to their shareholders. That's business. Name me any other business that would blatantly let their stock plummet, cause loses for their shareholders and do absolutely nothing to correct the situation? No? So why is radio different?

August 4, 2018 6:22 pm  #10

How long has CFNY gone without relevance? Twenty five years or more? It's long dead and the voltage the owners pour through the fetid carcass are only spreading the smell.

August 4, 2018 7:04 pm  #11

cGrant wrote:

centrifugalface wrote:

corus is a tough place to be - no loyalty to hosts whatsoever.

What loyalty, exactly, would you have a station do to its employees?  If YOU ran the business and the stock has been falling for a while, what would you do? If the product is based on ratings and those are flat, would you keep dead wood around when there's a possibility of improvement?

Many on here seem to expect a "job for life" with absolutely no pushback from management. Speaking of, it's management's DUTY to return excellent value to their shareholders. That's business. Name me any other business that would blatantly let their stock plummet, cause loses for their shareholders and do absolutely nothing to correct the situation? No? So why is radio different?

I don't see deadwood. I see opportunity to improve ratings in another market.

The world owes everyone a hand up. 
Just because something isn't working here does not mean it won't work somewhere else in the company.
The radio talent doesn't have to accept. They can reject the offer given. It's the thought that counts.

Sometimes going to another market and recycling jokes etc brings in better ratings for that station in that market.
(they have not previously heard those jokes etc because it's a different market)

Never shut out opportunity. 

Cheers to Corus for having faith in the idea that moving at least one radio talent from Edge over to Q will somehow boost ratings for a sister station. That's a nice hand up. Good luck to Fearless Fred.

Oh and another thing: If there is no need for a "Job for life" then there is no need for a no compete clause either.

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 4, 2018 7:24 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 4, 2018 7:36 pm  #12

And who makes them sign the non-compete? Again, I'm waiting to find why radio is so damn unique in the majority of this board's Illuminati?

August 4, 2018 8:38 pm  #13

Radiowiz, I've known a few who've had to negotiate a no compete clause. I think it's been discussed here before, but still not entirely sure how they can be enforced. Everyone's gotta make a living.

August 4, 2018 11:37 pm  #14

Strictly speaking, NCs cannot be legally enforced anywhere in Canada. Period. But, if you ever want to work in the medium again, you WILL respect and wait it out. It's more on the honor system. They have been challenged before and every single time, the clause was thrown out before it went before the judge. But, hey, if you want to pay me 6 months to sit on my ass, well, I'll take it. And nothing says I can't track out of market and make more scratch.

August 5, 2018 12:07 am  #15

cGrant wrote:

But, hey, if you want to pay me 6 months to sit on my ass, well, I'll take it. And nothing says I can't track out of market and make more scratch.

cGrant, I hear that. I've also not heard of anyone disputing the NC, so enforceable or not, seems to work for both parties.

Money for nothing. We're still talking about broadcasting? -chuckle-

August 10, 2018 9:55 am  #16

Betting Corus's Y108 Hamilton's morning show is next to be blown up...it's basically unlistenable these days

August 12, 2018 9:25 am  #17

Hope they light the fuse to Q 107 morning show. Derringer is in cruise control and Jenn offers nothing.