sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2018 4:08 pm  #1

How "Born To Be Wild" Came To Be A Rock Anthem

This is a little out of the usual topic you'll see here but I found this so interesting I wanted to share it.

It's the story of how Steppenwolf's classic "Born To Be Wild" came into being, how it wound up in the movie "Easy Rider" and why its first incarnation wasn't the blow-it-up-in-your-ear version we know today. 

And while the song has become associated with motorcycles, you may be surprised by the vehicle that actually inspired it. 

How we made Steppenwolf's Born to Be Wild 

August 2, 2018 7:16 pm  #2

Re: How "Born To Be Wild" Came To Be A Rock Anthem

I actually was led to this page by a reference in FYImusicnews.ca, but only after I read it did I realize this British publication, The Guardian, has been doing these kinds of articles since 2013. Some are about great Top 40 hits. Others centre on TV shows, plays and different aspects of pop culture. 

But it was the music stuff that sent me on a journey through their back pages, which are fortunately not paywalled. All feature stories few knew about some of the greatest hits of all time.

Some examples: did you know the famous guitar riff in the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" was created by an accident with a razor blade? Or that there were actually two versions of "Baby Love" released by The Supremes in 1964? And that The Four Tops hated one of their biggest hits and begged Motown's Berry Gordy not to release it? 

You can find all those stories and more at the links below:

10cc: How We Made “I’m Not In Love.”

The O’Jays: How We Made “Love Train”

Petula Clark: How We Made “Downtown”

Donovan: How We Made “Sunshine Superman”

Martha & The Vandellas: How We Made “Dancing In The Streets”

The Ronettes: How We Made “Be My Baby”

Freda Payne: How We Made “Band of Gold”

The Supremes: How We Made “Baby Love”

The Four Tops: How We Made “Reach Out (I’ll Be There)”

Richard Harris: How We Made ”MacArthur Park”

Ben E. King: How We Made “Stand By Me”

The Kinks: How We Made “You Really Got Me”

Berry Gordy & Smokey Robinson: How We Made Motown

And finally, just to change it up a bit and turn it toward TV, How We Made “Modern Family”