sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2018 1:22 am  #1

"Silent Disco"

Edited after CNE 2018 ended:
Silent Disco @ CNE came and went. 
Was it a hit? Will we see it again in 2019?

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 24, 2018 12:24 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 2, 2018 10:08 am  #2

Re: "Silent Disco"

With respect, Silent Disco is what passengers who are bored to tears on Caribbean cruise ships do to pass the time.  Now that I think of it, people attending the CNE could also be bored to tears so it might be a fit

August 2, 2018 10:15 am  #3

geo wrote:

Now that I think of it, people attending the CNE could also be bored to tears so it might be a fit

Ten (or so) years ago you might have had a point Geo. In 2018, CNE has improved a lot. (2017's CNE was amazing!)
Their ice skating show doesn't disappoint. The dog show is okay. There are many things to see and do.
I LOVE the CNE, and I beg to differ.

August 2, 2018 10:30 am  #4

Ice skating & dogs + silent disco.    I stand corrected

G.

P.S. - hope I'm not sounding like Ziggy

Last edited by geo (August 2, 2018 10:31 am)

August 2, 2018 10:41 am  #5

geo wrote:

G.

On select days, throw in a cat show...but I suppose that can get boring...however, it is a nice place to have a seat and a rest for a while after walking around a lot.
There is a (judging) room there with very comfortable theatre style seating. Too bad it's only open during the cat show and not for the whole CNE. 

August 2, 2018 11:09 am  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

On select days, throw in a cat show...but I suppose that can get boring...however, it is a nice place to have a seat and a rest for a while after walking around a lot.
There is a (judging) room there with very comfortable theatre style seating. Too bad it's only open during the cat show and not for the whole CNE. 

At any point, the owners of this bulletin board could make some extra coin by having ads from funeral homes, incontinence products, nursing homes, Ensure and the Best of Lawrence Welk Organ Cobs.

August 2, 2018 11:15 am  #7

cGrant wrote:

At any point, the owners of this bulletin board could make some extra coin by having ads from funeral homes, incontinence products, nursing homes, Ensure and the Best of Lawrence Welk Organ Cobs.

In one ear and out the other. More effective to run ads about how to launch your very own [internet] oldies radio station.

August 2, 2018 11:17 am  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

geo wrote:

G.

I haven't gone to the Ex in a while, but I do remember looking for the radio personalities at their booths,to watch them in action. And trying to get free swag. Is this still a thing?

Silent Disco sounds fun. Perhaps a security nightmare, but "groovy" 

August 2, 2018 11:42 am  #9

Lentil wrote:

I haven't gone to the Ex in a while, but I do remember looking for the radio personalities at their booths,to watch them in action. And trying to get free swag. Is this still a thing?

Silent Disco sounds fun. Perhaps a security nightmare, but "groovy"

Oh yeah, even though the internet leaks what a radio personality looks like (etc) people still love to see their favourite personalities in action...if not, they still love getting "free swag". (or whatever it's called these days)

August 2, 2018 11:42 am  #10

Speaking of free swag, John Spragge gave me a CHUM "fan" at the 1960 CNE.    He was handing them out from the deck of the CHUM trailer, just inside the Prince's Gates.    Still have it.  Perfect condition.   $5,000 or best offer.     

August 2, 2018 11:47 am  #11

Lentil wrote:

I haven't gone to the Ex in a while, but I do remember looking for the radio personalities at their booths,to watch them in action.

What I love most about this ad from 1968 is how prescient it was. When CHUM bought City TV many many years later, it was known as CHUMCity. And yet here it was a decade before that - and before there even was a City TV.

A very weird coincidence.

August 2, 2018 6:00 pm  #12

the "Stickler" who once was a frequent contributor here would have picked up that "Princess Gates" mistake in a North York minute