sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2018 3:14 pm  #1

Former CRTC Chair Questions Whether TV Can Con Rules Are Still Needed

Well, well, well. Whoever thought we'd hear this from the former leader of one of the most restrictive and bureaucratic institutions ever to make life difficult for broadcasters and consumers in Canada?

In the middle of a long but very interesting story in the Financial Post about how the restrictive nature of this country's telecommunications rules are screwing over the public by keeping prices artificially high, comes an interesting observation from the wonderfully named Konrad von Finckenstein. (And no, he wasn't played by Billy Van on that old CHCH series.) 

The former chair of the CRTC muses that the times and the technology have perhaps changed enough that all those onerous rules broadcasters face about producing a lot of Canadian content no one watches just to say they've done it, may not be needed anymore. 

“Broadcasting has become really less important than telecommunications,” he said. “It’s really questionable whether we still need the foreign protection for Canadian content.” 

Of course, you can forget about this ever being adopted. But it's kind of refreshing to hear someone tell the truth for a change. You can read the story at the link below.

Canada has one of the world’s most protected telecom sectors — and the rates to show for it 

July 28, 2018 12:47 am  #2

Re: Former CRTC Chair Questions Whether TV Can Con Rules Are Still Needed

Me too.

August 1, 2018 12:45 pm  #3

As an aside to this story, Australia is currently going through an investigation about upping its local broadcast content rules for native musicians, (Would that be called AusCon?)

In any event, guess what they used as a benchmark to help them in their contemplations? None other than our own CanCon rules. 

"Copyright collective APRA AMCOS has told the Senate inquiry into Australian content on broadcast, radio and streaming services, that Australia could learn from Canada's success and should have its own standard benchmark of 25 per cent."

Good luck to listeners Down Under! (Hmmm, I wonder who the Australian equivalent is to The Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot and Anne Murray?) 

Calls to keep Aust music radio benchmarks

August 1, 2018 12:50 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder who the Australian equivalent is to The Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot and Anne Murray?

ROLF HARRIS

August 1, 2018 3:41 pm  #5

Kilgore wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder who the Australian equivalent is to The Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot and Anne Murray?

ROLF HARRIS 

I don't know if he'd get a lot of airplay these days. He was convicted of indecent assault on four teenage girls in 2014 and spent three years in jail. I think he's a lot like Jian Gomeshi here - persona non grata.

But how 'bout Helen Reddy, Olivia Newton-John, Air Supply and The Bee Gees?  

August 1, 2018 4:57 pm  #6

Perhaps swap the Guess Who, Gord Lightfoot & Anne Murray for Helen Reddy, Olivia Newton-John, Air Supply and the Bee Gees for a trial separation?

Last edited by geo (August 1, 2018 4:58 pm)

August 1, 2018 6:36 pm  #7

kings of the sun, midnight oil, airbourne, and probably early ac/dc would qualify....

August 1, 2018 7:19 pm  #8

splunge wrote:

kings of the sun, midnight oil, airbourne, and probably early ac/dc would qualify....

And add the pop band Icehouse. They had a lot of success back in the 80's. If you worked in radio then, you might recognize the singles, "Icehouse" "Crazy" "No Promises" to name a few.

INXS was certainly one of the most famous of the Aussie bands. One of the best songs they ever did was the punky simple "Don't Change". It was an early hit that gets overlooked by the radio stations here in Toronto.

Last edited by betaylored (August 1, 2018 7:30 pm)

August 1, 2018 10:08 pm  #9

@betaylored...  geeze, of course inxs.... men at work too.  i always thought crowded house was from new zealand, but the aussies claim them.  john farnham also had a big hit with pressure down.

i think the point is, there is talent everywhere.  maybe a minimum national content level does help bands develop in their own country, and eventually land on the world stage.

barenaked ladies, tragically hip, great big sea, rush, guess who, drake, etc and so on have all benefited from cancon regs.  sure not every band or selection is a winner but still....  it allows the nation's cream to rise to the top amongst international acts supported by corporate big money.

my position is, and always has been, that cancon should not simply be about MAPL, but more focused on new and emerging.  just because a 30 yr old tragically hip song qualifies, it does nothing to enhance or promote current albums or tracks.  the hip or rush don't need cancon rules.  monster truck, glorious sons, alyssia cara, carly jepson, and others could still benefit from increased exposure over the radio mainstays that have been played to death.

August 1, 2018 10:35 pm  #10

My favorite Aussi hit from the 60's. The Easybeats "Friday on my Mind." Group was lead by Vanda and Young who would achieve some new wave era success as Flash and the Pan. Young had some very famous siblings.

Last edited by Fitz (August 1, 2018 10:36 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/