sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2018 5:03 am  #1

Art Bell R.I.P.

Long time radio host Art Bell has passed at his Nevada home at age 72.

Bell hosted the syndicated overnight show "Coasttocoast"  for many years.

He died at his home in Pahrump Nevada on Friday April 13th. 

April 14, 2018 7:35 am  #2

Re: Art Bell R.I.P.

Sorry to hear that. That's awful.
Long Live George Noory. He's only 67 himself, and hopefully in great health...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 14, 2018 12:15 pm  #3

Given the narrative of his subject matter, is he really gone or is it a valiant conspiracy by a combination of the Illuminati and Flat Earth Society summoning him back to the government-hidden Mothership?

April 14, 2018 3:37 pm  #4

False flag!

April 14, 2018 5:08 pm  #5

Killed by Sasquatch is the latest. 

April 14, 2018 5:47 pm  #6

cash wrote:

Killed by Sasquatch is the latest. 

April 14, 2018 7:59 pm  #7

Phil Hendrie parodies Art Bell. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu1yiiSzlAs&t=11245s

April 14, 2018 9:02 pm  #8

The official obit from the Las Vegas Review Journal. (Odd that the only listener they quote is a Canadian resident. You'd think it wouldn't be hard to find a local who tuned in.)

Pahrump-based radio host Art Bell dies at 72

The official statement from Coasttocoastam.com:

"We are profoundly saddened with the news that the creator and original host of Coast to Coast AM, Art Bell, has passed away at the age of 72 at his home in Pahrump, Nevada.

While serving in the US Air Force in the Vietnam War, he indulged his childhood passion for radio by operating a pirate station that played anti-war music otherwise unavailable on official channels broadcast to American servicemen.

Following his time in the service, his love of radio led him to working as a disc jockey for an English-language station in Japan where he set a Guinness World Record for broadcasting an astounding 116 hours straight.

This was no mere radio stunt, however, as it served to raise funds to rescue over 100 Vietnamese orphans left stranded by the conflict in their home country.

Upon returning to the United States, he entered the world of talk radio with an overnight program on KDWN in Las Vegas.

After noticing that episodes covering conspiracy theories and paranormal topics generated considerable interest from listeners, Bell transformed the show from political talk to discussion of these often-verboten realms.Syndicated nationally in 1993, Coast to Coast AM soon became a juggernaut and bonafide radio phenomenon.

During the 1990s, when The X-Files had people wondering about the world of high strangeness, Art Bell was the voice of that world, introducing millions of radio listeners to a vast array of paranormal topics and the researchers that studied them.

Over the course of countless programs throughout the decade and into the 2000s, Art Bell captivated listeners by way of his intellectually-curious and open-minded conversations with guests who were attempting to find answers to the paranormal mysteries which baffle us all.

Although he retired from full-time hosting duties at the end of 2002, Art returned to occasionally helm Coast to Coast AM programs on weekends and later launched his own satellite radio program, Art Bell's Dark Matter, as well as an internet-based endeavor called Midnight in the Desert.As founder of Coast to Coast AM, his role in crafting and shaping this program can be felt to this day in elements like the iconic phone lines emanating from East of the Rockies, West of the Rockies, and the always-unpredictable Wildcard Line, as well as the annual Ghost to Ghost AM Halloween specials and, of course, C2C's signature opening theme song.

We extend our deepest condolences to Art Bell's family and friends. We celebrate him for his brilliant creation of Coast to Coast AM and the many unforgettable moments he shared with us over the years.

As he begins his journey on the 'Other Side,' we take solace in the hope that he is now finding out all of the answers to the mysteries he pursued for so many nights with all of us."

April 14, 2018 10:16 pm  #9

Art Bell's respect of the unexplained, his skill at interviewing even the most "out there" guest, and the way he made his callers an equally valued part of the show, made "Coast To Coast" the success it was, is.

I'd occasionally still tune in to the first hour of the show on Saturday nights, at midnight, when "Coast" would do an encore presentation of an Art Bell helmed show, I think it was called, "Somewhere In Time".

R.I.P. Art Bell.

April 15, 2018 9:00 pm  #10

betaylored wrote:

Art Bell's respect of the unexplained, his skill at interviewing even the most "out there" guest, and the way he made his callers an equally valued part of the show, made "Coast To Coast" the success it was, is.

R.I.P. Art Bell.

ItsSpeaking of the "Unexplained", how many remember the feature of that name hosted by Allen Spraggett in the 70's? It dealt  subject matter was in the same arena.

April 17, 2018 4:41 pm  #11

George Noory announcing the passing of Art Bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO0EZxg0fnU

April 18, 2018 1:41 am  #12

cash wrote:

George Noory announcing the passing of Art Bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO0EZxg0fnU

Wanted to say thanks for posting this "cash", it was really worth listening to.

I liked that George Noory was honest about his relationship with Art Bell, admitting that they weren't close, and that they had their differences, but acknowledging that Art had played a major part in the success of his career.

Last edited by betaylored (April 18, 2018 4:53 am)

August 1, 2018 3:50 pm  #13

'Twas drugs not aliens that got him in the end.

Radio host Art Bell died of accidental drug overdose

August 2, 2018 9:32 am  #14

Hang on..  There's a theory out there this was actually the shadow people guiding his hand.  

RadioActive wrote:

'Twas drugs not aliens that got him in the end.

Radio host Art Bell died of accidental drug overdose

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 4, 2018 6:30 pm  #15

Thirty-nine Nike-wearing corpses also wish him well.