sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2018 1:40 pm  #1

2 Well Known Local Newsmen To Be Inducted Into Cdn. News Hall Of Fame

It's a nice honour and both are deserving. Ken Shaw of CTV News and Robert Holiday, the former news director of CFTR during its heyday as one of the city's biggest rock stations, have both been named to the Canadian News Hall of fame. 

In case you know or have worked with either of these two, they'll be honoured at a gala next Nov. 20th. 

I don't know Mr. Shaw, but I had the great honour of working alongside Bob Holiday in a few different places, and he's the consummate pro. He's also nurtured a lot of talent over the years and showed people just how good they could be.

He turned 80 last year and I was lucky enough to run into him in 2017. He looks and sounds absolutely amazing and if he wanted to, he go could back on the air tomorrow and never miss a beat. 

I don't know a lot about the Hall, but I do know this is quite an honour. The list of previous inductees reads like a who's who of Canadian journalism, including Lloyd Robertson, Jocko Thomas, Betty Kennedy, Peter Gzowski, Allan Fortheringham, June Callwood and Pierre Berton. Just to name a few. That's pretty august company and the latest pair definitely deserve to be there. Congrats to both of them. 

More here.

July 26, 2018 7:34 pm  #2

Re: 2 Well Known Local Newsmen To Be Inducted Into Cdn. News Hall Of Fame

Robert was my boss at CJCL. I always knew he wanted to speak to me; when he yelled DONABIE!
He was a tough; but fair boss. I liked him very much.   Congratulations Sir.