sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2018 3:51 pm  #1

Do The Buffalo Sabres Radio Broadcasts Consist Of Just The TV Audio?

Is this true? According to a report on a sports media website, the Carolina Hurricanes have fired their radio broadcaster of 39 years and will just use the audio from the TV side this coming season instead. The site indicates two other teams already do this – Dallas and Buffalo.

If that’s true, I’m a little confused as to how that works. They must do replays of controversial moments during the game – how do you manage to “see” that on radio? I can’t imagine, for example, how if the Jays were to fire their radio crew, the Sportsnet TV audio would work without listeners being able to see the visuals.

There is a great deal of difference between radio and TV coverage as far as sports are concerned. Those with pictures often have to say far less because the viewer can see what just happened. Whereas radio people have to paint a picture with words, so the listener can envision it. And never the twain shall meet. 

I certainly hope this isn’t the beginning of yet another ill advised cost cutting trend. But if it works for three teams, how long can it be before it spreads elsewhere? Ted Darling must be turning over in his grave.

July 24, 2018 4:27 pm  #2

Re: Do The Buffalo Sabres Radio Broadcasts Consist Of Just The TV Audio?

It wouldn't surprise me.  How many times (especially back in the analogue TV days when this was quite doable without much of a delay between them) have you heard of folks watching the baseball game on TV but turning the sound down and using the radio feed instead?

I'm kind of surprised this isn't more widespread.  As long as the announcers are mindful that some of their audience may not have benefit of the visuals,  (so no, "as you can see on the bottom right of your screen") it should work out just fine.

July 24, 2018 5:49 pm  #3

RA -- don't you remember when Leapin' Lou was going to kick Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph off the team plane? That was 3 short years ago. Bowen & Ralph were slated to do Leaf away radio broadcasts while sitting in a studio in Toronto. There was outrage and rightly so but the story goes that neither Bell nor Rogers were willing to pick up the 2 hundred thousand dollar travel tab for the pair. Eventually saner heads prevailed. 

So what Buffalo & the others are doing here is likely to become more common and I'm betting just about every team "wishes" they could do likewise or at least a reasonable facsimilie of same.

Bottom line -- penny pinching bastards...

Last edited by unclefester (July 24, 2018 5:53 pm)

July 25, 2018 6:30 am  #4

Chuck99 wrote:

I am not sure how it translates to TV since the Sabres regional telecasts are not available in Canada.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/southern-ontario-is-now-sabres-country/c-685981

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 25, 2018 4:10 pm  #5

But you can oinly get those games if you live between Niagara Falls/Fort Erie and Stoney Creek.  It's not available outside that area.