sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2018 6:08 pm  #1

Another Blow For Postmedia: How Long Can They Go On?

Good thing Christie Blatchford still has her radio gig on CFRB.

​Postmedia reports $15.5 million loss as quarterly revenue slips

July 11, 2018 6:12 pm  #2

Re: Another Blow For Postmedia: How Long Can They Go On?

RadioActive wrote:

Good thing Christie Blatchford still has her radio gig on CFRB.

I still maintain she is on far too frequently; twice a day, everyday is about 83% too much. If you listen to the reroll at 1130pm, she makes for a quick switch of the station before that horrid dreck that is C2C begins.

*FIRE SALE* Maybe Jon Pole can buy the Post and Corus and be the new King??

Last edited by cGrant (July 11, 2018 6:12 pm)

July 11, 2018 6:35 pm  #3

It couldn't happen soon enough.

July 11, 2018 11:28 pm  #4

Isn't there an expression, something about trying to repair the airplane while you're still flying it???

It's got to be tough to work at Postmedia, and to sit down at your computer, and come up with a strong story, when you wonder if it's one of the last pieces you'll do for the paper. Every piece is an audition for the next job you hope you'll be lucky enough to get if/when you're next for the chopping block.

As a writer I admire Ms. Blatchford's prose in her newspaper articles. And while I do see cGrant's point that she is on Newstalk 1010 twice a day live plus the late night reroll, and then at 4:48am. for Ryan and Jay's early morning reroll, I find she doesn't speak to hear herself talk, the way some roundtable contributors seem to, but puts thought into what she says, and has no problem with not saying a great deal on a topic.

She's also one of the few who will challenge fellow panelists, and has politely pointed out that someone was mistaken in the facts/info offered on a topic, debating John Moore on the effectiveness/definition of carding on one occasion.

Last edited by betaylored (July 11, 2018 11:41 pm)

July 12, 2018 1:47 pm  #5

What betaylored posted goes for me as well (am also a fan of rosi diManno).    Has anyone mentioned Jerry Agar wearing two hats?    If so, I missed that.   

July 13, 2018 9:36 am  #6

Had a friend whose husband who worked there until a couple of years ago.  Even then, there was a "who's next" feeling at work every day.  He managed to get out before being chopped.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (July 13, 2018 9:37 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

July 13, 2018 10:32 am  #7

=12px "He managed to get out before being chopped".

Interesting Leslieville Bill.   Late in my career I spent a great deal of time working with people new to the radio and television industry, right out of college pretty much.   My advice to them was stick around and let them fire you or lay you off.  That way you got a cheque.   Three severance cheques during my career, and one for my wife. 
We were lucky and managed to get jobs fairly quickly, so thank you to Rogers, Bell and Corus for funding our retirement.  

Last edited by Just a Radio Fan (July 13, 2018 10:36 am)

July 13, 2018 11:59 am  #8

Chrisphen wrote:

Does your antipathy toward C. Blatchford stem from disagreement with her political slant or do you not care for her writing style or do you simply hate all female journalists?

K.

July 13, 2018 3:44 pm  #9

Wasn't aware that THEY were still "going".  Haven't been a fan of Bitchford since her tenure at Ye Olde Sun

July 21, 2018 4:45 pm  #10

Kilgore wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Does your antipathy toward C. Blatchford stem from disagreement with her political slant or do you not care for her writing style or do you simply hate all female journalists?

K.

Sadly, no to all points. Her politics are somewhat malleable; she's a bit above Warmington on the literacy scale; and I'll let the last query rest on your lap to keep you warm. 

Blatch excretes an intellectual laziness that compounds the Post's unstated mission of making weak minds weaker. She's obviously not alone there. More significantly, Blatch (in her own words) writes from her ass to fulfil her employment obligations. If this 'journalism' warms your cockles then I wish you well.