sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2018 8:58 pm  #1

How tweet it is: Adam Wylde teases Monday morning announcement

Just after 8pm this evening (Friday July 13th) Adam Wylde, formerly with KISS FM, and still part of the Steve Dangle Podcast team, tweeted out "Hey - looks like I'll be seeing you next week. Tell you what's going on Monday - 8:50am."

Which, from the specific time of just before the top of the hour, traditional crossover time in radio, seems to suggest he'll be helming a mid-morning radio show, on a station to be determined.

I didn't listen to him a whole lot on KISS FM, but I am a huge fan of the Steve Dangle Podcast, and I think Steve Dangle, Jesse Blake, and Adam have one of the most genuine, entertaining podcasts out there, with Adam acting as centre (in hockey terminology) keeping the show moving forward, setting up the topics for discussion, letting Steve do what he does best, and providing just enough background so even newbies can follow.

Is it the Fan? CHUM? Anybody have any inside intel?

July 14, 2018 3:40 am  #2

Re: How tweet it is: Adam Wylde teases Monday morning announcement

betaylored wrote:

Is it the Fan? CHUM? Anybody have any inside intel?

Why would it be the fan? That's Rogers. Team 1050 should be what you might mean.
I honestly don't know if he'll be doing anything sports related though.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 14, 2018 5:23 pm  #3

Radiowiz I think was factoring in his quick return to radio (if he is returning to radio and there's nothing to indicate he is really) in saying it might be Sportsnet, because of his continuing with the Steve Dangle Podcast, and that Jesse Blake's already got a gig there. Adam could even be heading to Montreal or Fishtown N.S.

Quite possibly a few b.y.boarders know what the scoop is, but are remaining silent because it's not their news to tell, and that makes sense.

Selfishly I just don't want one of the best hockey podcasts to get disbanded...if that's the word I'm looking for, and it's probably not, but it's too hot out for editing and I left my thesaurus in my other pants pocket.

July 14, 2018 7:26 pm  #4

betaylored wrote:

Radiowiz I think was factoring in his quick return to radio (if he is returning to radio and there's nothing to indicate he is really) in saying it might be Sportsnet, because of his continuing with the Steve Dangle Podcast, and that Jesse Blake's already got a gig there. Adam could even be heading to Montreal or Fishtown N.S.

Quite possibly a few b.y.boarders know what the scoop is, but are remaining silent because it's not their news to tell, and that makes sense.

Selfishly I just don't want one of the best hockey podcasts to get disbanded...if that's the word I'm looking for, and it's probably not, but it's too hot out for editing and I left my thesaurus in my other pants pocket.

I got what you meant with the Dangle association and Sportsnet.  Maybe he's pining for the fjords?  Looking to expand or branch out.  i have no idea, but i think dangle is great.....

July 15, 2018 3:22 pm  #5

In related news, CHUM FM is also making an announcement tomorrow morning. 

July 16, 2018 9:21 am  #6

Don wrote:

In related news, CHUM FM is also making an announcement tomorrow morning. 

Yup but it's not Adam joining the duo. It's J-Nice relocating to Toronto and joining Grandpa and Marilyn. Very strange chice .

July 16, 2018 9:26 am  #7

Guessing this is a transition period, and it'll be his show by the end of the year.

July 16, 2018 9:33 am  #8

Don wrote:

Guessing this is a transition period, and it'll be his show by the end of the year.

They should have waited for the brand refresh until the young hip host takes over their prime drive. Like I wrote previously, R&M do NOT fit with the new vibe. And, logically, if you don't get the actual demo you're skewing for from the A.M., then what's the point? Outside of the Inner Circle of the Illuminati on this board, the listener doesn't care that the geriatric hosting the show they are listening to was born before their grandparents.

July 16, 2018 10:01 am  #9

Adam and Steve Dangle will be filling in for Jeff Blair on Sportsnet 590 the Fan this Thursday and Friday, from 9:00-noon.

Jeff Blair was a newspaper guy, who switched to radio, and he's been at Rogers for about five years I think. As solid as he is as a radio host, maybe he's thinking of leaving radio, and returning to his other love, writing, and becoming a member of "The Athletic".

Usually, the highly energized, well connected Joey Vendetta fills in when Jeff's away. Could Thursday and Friday be the radio version of a P.T.O. for Adam and Steve. Is Rogers looking for the next Tim and Sid?

Adam and Steve have known each other since high school, so this might be ... nah not going to say it, just don't want to jinx anything..

Last edited by betaylored (July 16, 2018 10:04 am)

July 16, 2018 6:07 pm  #10

cGrant wrote:

Don wrote:

They should have waited for the brand refresh until the young hip host takes over their prime drive. Like I wrote previously, R&M do NOT fit with the new vibe. And, logically, if you don't get the actual demo you're skewing for from the A.M., then what's the point? Outside of the Inner Circle of the Illuminati on this board, the listener doesn't care that the geriatric hosting the show they are listening to was born before their grandparents.

They're clearly trying to do this in stages so as not to alienate the older end of their core, who will continue to be the most reliable tuners. They're giving the new guy some time with R&M to acclimatize him with the core. I don't know if it's the right move, but it's what they're doing.

On the other hand...

July 16, 2018 6:33 pm  #11

Don wrote:

They're clearly trying to do this in stages so as not to alienate the older end of their core, who will continue to be the most reliable tuners. They're giving the new guy some time with R&M to acclimatize him with the core.

It would appear it is what they are doing, yes. But, to what end? The oldsters tune in morning drive, but as soon as 9am hits, the station skews younger? Then those geezers tune out or go to lunch.

While the younger hipsters miss out on Father Time, his Side Candy and the New Guy because their great-great grandparents are listening to the box. (Young 'uns will NEVER tune in whatever station their 'rents are absorbing.)

Makes no sense. Flip the switch, have Dentures and Candy Floss "retire suddenly" and run the station like a station and not the waiting room of a colonoscopy clinic.

July 16, 2018 9:35 pm  #12

Lots of talk about changing the hosts on CHUM, but perhaps a revamping of the narrow selection of music featured would serve the ratings even better.

Dua Lipa is on a huge wave of growing stardom, music sales, and gaining recognition around the globe. She's had a single with Calvin Harris, reached the top of the charts, but I have yet to hear her on high rotation on CHUM. CHUM was the last of the music stations to pick up the Weeknd, when everyone else in town had been playing him for months.

Luna Shadows is an LA music artist, radio ready synth pop, who works with the guys from The Naked and Famous (they're played on the Edge). and she's where Dua Lipa was this time last year, just starting to get major attention. Her sound would be perfect for CHUM. Finding artists just beginning to break helps a radio station build credibility.

The radio personalities are the icing, the music is the cake. Fresh icing on stale cake... will only take you so far.

July 16, 2018 10:07 pm  #13

Couldn't agree more, Brent. Finding and solidifying a credible music position is absolutely #1. In most cases anyway.

NOW-FM Edmonton would be an exmaple of a station with an unremarkable music position, made irrelevant with a between-the-songs presentation that has made it #1 since launch.

Last edited by Don (July 16, 2018 10:11 pm)

July 16, 2018 10:26 pm  #14

Whoa whoa whoa! Announcers are only the icing? Am I in Bizarro land? There are hundreds, if not thousands of posts here that emphatically swear announcers ARE radio!! Announcers make radio what it is or should be. Now, they're secondary? Hell, some here's ONLY claim to fame and legacy was that they were announcers! And those announcers are never to be questioned or disrespected. Simply because they talked into a microphone for a few years. My God. My head is exploding. I guess I can stop genuflecting those who were nothing but a confectionery topping.

July 17, 2018 12:28 am  #15

cGrant wrote:

My God. My head is exploding   

Could cG be confusing radio personalities & show hosts with "announcers"?

July 17, 2018 5:33 am  #16

cGrant wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa! Announcers are only the icing? Am I in Bizarro land? There are hundreds, if not thousands of posts here that emphatically swear announcers ARE radio!! Announcers make radio what it is or should be. Now, they're secondary? Hell, some here's ONLY claim to fame and legacy was that they were announcers! And those announcers are never to be questioned or disrespected. Simply because they talked into a microphone for a few years. My God. My head is exploding. I guess I can stop genuflecting those who were nothing but a confectionery topping.

" announcers are the icing" - it was probably a consultant who said that

July 17, 2018 8:00 am  #17

okay...the icing vs. cake observation that I made... it was a comment about the proportion of time listeners hear the music radio person who speaks into a mic ( on-air personality, DJ, announcer, the description has more to do with the radio era than anything else) as opposed to the much more substantial amount of time listeners spend with the music the station plays.(and all those necessary spots, ads, commercials...pick your choice about what to call 'em)

With the Toronto listeners having to live with shockingly similar pop music playlists up and down the dial, having great on-air talent and adding in a couple of artists just catching fire would mean a station AND listeners could have their cake and eat it too... so to speak.

Last edited by betaylored (July 17, 2018 8:38 am)

July 17, 2018 8:57 am  #18

I guess I missed it.  So where is Adam Wylde going?

July 17, 2018 10:15 am  #19

AMFM wrote:

I guess I missed it.  So where is Adam Wylde going?

Cut & pasted from Betaylored (above):

Adam and Steve Dangle will be filling in for Jeff Blair on Sportsnet 590 the Fan this Thursday and Friday, from 9:00-noon.

Jeff Blair was a newspaper guy, who switched to radio, and he's been at Rogers for about five years I think. As solid as he is as a radio host, maybe he's thinking of leaving radio, and returning to his other love, writing, and becoming a member of "The Athletic".

Usually, the highly energized, well connected Joey Vendetta fills in when Jeff's away. Could Thursday and Friday be the radio version of a P.T.O. for Adam and Steve. Is Rogers looking for the next Tim and Sid?

Adam and Steve have known each other since high school, so this might be ... nah not going to say it, just don't want to jinx anything...

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 17, 2018 10:17 am)

July 17, 2018 3:50 pm  #20

Radiowiz.  Doesn't sound like a full time change of venue for Adam.  Maybe it is.  I read about him filling in; but it seems a little anticlimactic to me; after the big buildup.

July 17, 2018 3:52 pm  #21

AMFM wrote:

it seems a little anticlimactic to me; after the big buildup.

Kind of like the 104.5 CHUM-FM to CHUM 1045 refresh? 

July 17, 2018 9:49 pm  #22

cGrant wrote:

AMFM wrote:

😂

(World Emoji Day today)

July 18, 2018 7:42 am  #23

cGrant wrote:

AMFM wrote:

I couldn't agree more cGrant.

Last edited by AMFM (July 18, 2018 7:42 am)

July 18, 2018 7:51 am  #24

AMFM wrote:

Radiowiz.  Doesn't sound like a full time change of venue for Adam.  Maybe it is.  I read about him filling in; but it seems a little anticlimactic to me; after the big buildup.

I wonder what his no compete clause is? If Bell gets him doing things for Team 1050 should Fan be worried?
I think he will be doing a lot of work for Bell in the future.
It would be nice to see CTV pick up the Niagara falls coverage of New year's eve, with Adam hosting.
I like to think Adam is (also) a good Canadian alternative to Ryan Seacrest. 

July 18, 2018 7:34 pm  #25

That's a good comparison Radiowiz. Seacrest does multiple projects, and while Adam was doing afternoons on KISS FM, he was doing the Steve Dangle Podcast, plus another Leafs centric show, and appearing on morning television occasionally. And Ryan Seacrest and Adam both have that clean cut boyish preppy cheeriness that audiences find appealing.

When listeners, including the SDP fanatics, tune in tomorrow morning to Rogers 590 the Fan at 9:00am it should be fairly easy to tell after half an hour or so if it's going over well, and the two have the chops to fill in, and maybe something more down the road.

July 21, 2018 10:39 am  #26

Radiowiz.  The Fan never has to worry about another sports formatted radio station; in this town; at this time.  Just look at their numbers.

July 21, 2018 8:45 pm  #27

The Fan's motto: In Bob We Trust

July 22, 2018 10:01 am  #28

Amen.