sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2018 9:01 am  #1

Breaking News! Newstalk 1010 jumps through hoops for listeners

Newstalk 1010 did their special "Breaking News!" fanfare interrupting the second roundtable at 8:47am Wednesday morning to tell listeners about Raptors basketball news.

RAPTORS BASKETBALL NEWS! Newstalk 1010 reported that a trade was announced. That's. It. Nobody died, as Ray Emery tragically did a few days ago, that was news, not breaking news but still .. nope, the we interrupt our regularly scheduled broadcasting blather was for a basketball trade.

Real breaking news will be, if and when, Newstalk 1010 stops acting like Chicken Little.

Last edited by betaylored (July 18, 2018 9:19 am)

July 18, 2018 1:56 pm  #2

Re: Breaking News! Newstalk 1010 jumps through hoops for listeners

it's great call in fodder

count how many hours are going to spent talking about this controversial trade [even among  the non sports media]

July 18, 2018 1:58 pm  #3

betaylored wrote:

Real breaking news will be, if and when, Newstalk 1010 stops acting like Chicken Little.

It's not about what SHOULD be breaking news, it's about who owns what (or has investments in what) and how to take full advantage of a free plug anywhere possible...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 18, 2018 2:51 pm  #4

arc23 wrote:

count how many hours are going to spent talking about this controversial trade [even among  the non sports media]

WHY?! There are two sports stations in the city (both with negligible ratings) where unemployed knuckle-draggers can grunt, I mean "talk" about irrelevant stupid sports "news". Those genuinely interested in "sports" will have their moms come back downstairs to the basement and change the station for their kid.

That said, much like Chicken Little, the Breaking Nudes sounder no longer has any significance for me whatsoever. It does not cause me to pause and focus my attention to the radio. When I was a kid, the then "Ontario's Authoritative News Voice" that was CFRB would trigger a Breaking News sounder, I'd literally get a tingling in my spine and get the chills. I knew something important was about to be announced. Those days are long gone, perhaps never to return.

July 18, 2018 4:41 pm  #5

arc23 wrote:

Fodder indeed. I heard one astute knuckle dragger remind listeners that many who know basketball think that for all his impressive skill, DeMar DeRosen or whatever his name is, always fails to come through in the playoffs, which is why he got shipped out.

I won't keep bitching about Newstalk's broken breaking news, and point out more examples in future threads, I've done a couple, and after this new low, the dead horse of Newstalk's credibility regarding breaking news has been kicked so long and so hard we could put it in cans and sell it.

I do admire the composure and professionalism of the roundtable contributors, who have to pause, listen to it, and then continue, not to mention the news guy... everyone on-air involved today mustering up professional enthusiasm about the basketball trade as breaking news, like your mom admiring your macaroni and glue "painting".

July 18, 2018 5:41 pm  #6

betaylored wrote:

I won't keep bitching about Newstalk's broken breaking news, and point out more examples in future threads     

Thank you

July 18, 2018 6:29 pm  #7

geo wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I won't keep bitching about Newstalk's broken breaking news, and point out more examples in future threads     

Thank you

😁

July 18, 2018 8:28 pm  #8

This is a big story today City TV announced it on Breakfast Television and carried it as the lead on the 5 pm edition...

Plus Tim and Sid  (Caroline and Faizel were filling in) focused on this story for the entire show.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 19, 2018 4:22 am  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

betaylored wrote:

It's not about what SHOULD be breaking news, it's about who owns what (or has investments in what) and how to take full advantage of a free plug anywhere possible...

Wait a minute, Radiowiz, you're saying that a radio station interrupted regular programming, to give another company a plug? Because of investor tie-in?

Muffaraw Joe, and everyone else who said the Raptors trade is a major story, is right. It is huge, and will be for days. Lots of fodder-all to follow ;)

Did a top-notch radio show that's almost at the top of the hour, and about to do the news, present something as breaking news for a plug? And who makes that decision: the news director, station manager, company president? And because it's hard to read tone of voice at times, I am not being sarcastic, or joking.

New definition of breaking news, or free plug.

Both?

ps. I dumped the hyperbole hence the "edited" italics tag you see below this

Last edited by betaylored (July 19, 2018 8:26 am)

July 19, 2018 9:23 am  #10

betaylored wrote:

Wait a minute, Radiowiz...

Shaw/Corus does not have investments in the Raptors or the SBC. (aka ACC) Right? Let's look at this from the AM 640/Global news coverage perspective...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 19, 2018 9:38 am  #11

Actually, Global News led with this story on its noon TV newscast on Wednesday. CTV's lead was a murder. 

For whatever that's worth. 

Having said that, there most certainly are times when corporate interests shape where a story gets placed. I remember a friend of mine, who worked for CityPulse back in the CHUM/City days, bemoaning the fact that they were told to lead their 6 PM news with preps in the parking lot for the MusicMusic Video Awards. He complained that it wasn't the biggest story of the day by any means, that there weren't even any actual arrivals of stars - just the beginning set-up for the show. How was that the lead? It was essentially an early promo.

When I asked him why the producer did that, his answer was equally frustrating. "It's ours," he told me. "No one else has it or can do it. Kind of an exclusive. So we're going with it - at the expense of something far more important."

So it definitely CAN happen.   

Last edited by RadioActive (July 19, 2018 9:42 am)

July 26, 2018 9:04 am  #12

If ever there was an example of the differences in programming philosophies between NT 1010 and GNR 640, it was on display Thursday morning.

At around 8:20 AM, 'RB broke into its drivetime show with the story of a teacher at C.W. Jefferys being charged in last year's field trip drowning death of a student. They gave what few details were available and promised more to come. But they told you what they knew.

Seven minutes later, Mike Stafford announced the same headline, but didn't give many details. Instead he used the breaking story as a promo for the news coming up at the bottom of the hour, presumably to extend Time Spent Listening. 

I'm not sure who's right here, but in the era of the Internet, I would tend to favour CFRB's approach. Because if you don't want to wait - and who does? - and you're interested, it's all too easy to pull out your phone and see it now.

The web, as usual, has changed so much. I remember in the early days of our newsroom's site, if we had an exclusive, we were told not to put up anything too early, to keep it away from the competition. It was the old "save it for the 6" attitude. Eventually, we were allowed to leak details - say, around 5:30 PM - sure in the knowledge the other stations couldn't possibly catch up in time.

Those days are, for the most part, long gone. And perhaps 640 would be wise to realize that.

July 26, 2018 11:14 am  #13

Last week the industry insider magazine The Hollywood Reporter ran a story, an interview with the president of CBS News, discussing how reporting the news has changed, particularly since Donald Trump became POTUS.

He gave a great overview of the business of journalists, and the media and then he credited his bureau chief in their Washington office for saying something that, identified for me, the Teutonic shift in what makes it to air, and to print in this day and age.

That is: news is no longer about what is important, news is about what is interesting.

The Hollywood Reporter is a terrific resource for show prep, if you're on Twitter they're worth following. This CBS article would be a good read if you're so inclined.

Last edited by betaylored (July 26, 2018 1:21 pm)