sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 16, 2018 11:11 am  #2

Re: New Member joins the Roger & Marilyn Team

July 16, 2018 12:58 pm  #3

No Canadians of colour that would fit the position or something else? 

July 16, 2018 1:19 pm  #4

Bristol wrote:

No Canadians of colour that would fit the position or something else? 

Do you suppose that Americans complain when yet another Canadian stars in one of their movies, television or radio shows? Or yet another Canadian writing, producing, directing U.S. product? This industry is borderless.

J-Nice has at least a decade of morning drive experience.  Aren't there endless threads here about people on-air without experience? C'mon. BTW, Chicago is a mega city as well with plenty of urban gun violence -- he'll fit right in discussing that with Gramps and the Giggler.

July 16, 2018 3:55 pm  #5

cGrant: J-Nice is a pretty cool handle.

Why do you think he got the gig.. Right place, right time? Nobody else had his upbeat personality? He obviously made a great impression on the morning show team.

You mentioned his experience, but there's a lot of talented radio folk out there looking for work.

I'd really like to know why you, (and the other b.y.b.ers as well) think he was the one chosen.

July 16, 2018 4:28 pm  #6

betaylored wrote:

cGrant: Why do you think he got the gig.. Right place, right time? Nobody else had his upbeat personality? He obviously made a great impression on the morning show team.
You mentioned his experience, but there's a lot of talented radio folk out there looking for work.
I'd really like to know why you, (and the other b.y.b.ers as well) think he was the one chosen.

Mr. betaylored: My guess is because he's an outsider, he got chosen. Instead of the ever-incestuous recycling bag of revolving Toronto hosts, Bell when out-of-market and brought in new blood. Think about it this way: he has no history here or expectations. So, when Roger and his Giggler finally get fired, I mean "retire", he will have a clean slate. Everyone else will post here (when "retirement" happens), "he's not as good as Gramps". Nobody will be able to live up to the lore and legend of Uncle Rog and his Cougar. 

This re-brand has a new energy (except for the morning show) and the new guy will follow through with said energy. After all, the incestuous gaggle of T.O.-based hosts are out of demo themselves. It's pervy, if you think about it. Kind of like some 55-year old hanging out with high school kids and trying to relate to them.

Is he the best choice? Frankly, I don't know AND I like that -- the fact that he's unknown. Finally, good job to the Bell HR dept.

July 16, 2018 4:34 pm  #7

CHUM 1045 is identical if not better of a choice of Top 40 than their sister Virgin Radio (which is a franchise radio brand station on its own it seems as many cities have a Virgin Radio) minus playing certain heavier tracks. 

July 16, 2018 5:49 pm  #8

markow202 wrote:

CHUM 1045 is identical if not better of a choice of Top 40 than their sister Virgin Radio (which is a franchise radio brand station on its own it seems as many cities have a Virgin Radio) minus playing certain heavier tracks. 

Perhaps, just perhaps, Bell is moving the format over to 1045 and will rebrand 99.9? Perhaps, their Virgin contract will have its proverbial hymen broken and, to save coin, Bell will dump the virgin for something fresher?

July 17, 2018 7:03 am  #9

cGrant wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Perhaps, just perhaps, Bell is moving the format over to 1045 and will rebrand 99.9? Perhaps, their Virgin contract will have its proverbial hymen broken and, to save coin, Bell will dump the virgin for something fresher?

I highly doubt Virgin radio (Toronto) will go away any time soon. It's a money making cookie cutter for the company.
I'd love to see the return of Mix 999, but I doubt that's a plan of any sort either.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.