sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2018 6:03 pm  #1

Service dog has died - media reports she fell ill while at PetSmart

I am so sorry to read that the service dog Aspen was too ill to be saved. Over the past few days, social media and the real media did a great job supporting Corey and helping him raise funds for Aspen's care.

The reason for this thread is some news outlets are using careful wording, reporting that the dog became sick AFTER being dropped off at the pet hotel. Some are more circumspect and quoting her owner. It's also been suggested that more could have been done sooner to get Aspen help, and I won't quibble at that. But to slant the story, without proof, that the dog fell ill while in the care of the pet store, is smarmy tabloid level writing.

Several radio hosts questioned why someone would leave a service dog in a boarding facility, and pointed out that they are not like other dogs in temperment and care that's required. It is true that the company has declined to comment, nor do we know the cause of death. Complications from pneumonia, and possible exposure to a harmful substance are being reported as possibilities.

Corey was quoted as saying he was "distraught" sounding more like a character in a P.G. Wodehouse book than someone who just lost their best friend. I am truly sorry for his loss.

There's a real story here, about how all this unfolded, that would help pets, and pet owners/vets/pet stores. I would hope someone, Christie Blatchford for example, is working on it right now, finding out what really happened to this animal, and why. All those W words reporters love.

It would be a good way to honor Aspen, don't you think?

Last edited by betaylored (July 15, 2018 6:39 pm)

July 15, 2018 9:38 pm  #2

Re: Service dog has died - media reports she fell ill while at PetSmart

i agree that the premise of a story trumps the facts of the story.  much like the paikin affair or most stuff coming out of the usa..... getting the facts right seems to be secondary to getting the scoop.  To your point, there still appears to be much speculation over the fine points. 

July 15, 2018 10:33 pm  #3

splunge wrote:

i agree that the premise of a story trumps the facts of the story.  much like the paikin affair or most stuff coming out of the usa..... getting the facts right seems to be secondary to getting the scoop.  To your point, there still appears to be much speculation over the fine points. 

Speculation is the perfect word splunge. Corey is spending time on Twitter, getting support, tweeting his thoughts about his loss, and retweeting all the news stories covering Aspen's death. Although the answering likes and retweets from people are diminishing as he continues to tweet about his loss.

I am interested in hearing how Stafford, and Ryan Doyle, at their respective stations, handle this story tomorrow, neither pulls any punches when it comes to topics. And I enjoy Dave Trafford, (and this spectacular weekend, weekdays, weekend marathon he's doing) but would love to get John Moore's thoughts on this story.

Last edited by betaylored (July 15, 2018 11:23 pm)

July 16, 2018 9:21 am  #4

This issue demands the opinion of a PR professional to be broadcast.