sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2018 10:55 am  #1

The Return Of The 45 RPM Record - Sort Of

Just saw this on FYImusicnews.ca. The 45 RPM record is back. Well, sort of. Turns out you just have to buy a card to go with it.

Hallmark has introduced a series of greeting cards that come with a 45 RPM record inside matching the occasion. For instance, one Valentine's Day card reads "You & Me," with hearts on the front. Inside, with the 45 of "Need You Tonight" by INXS, it concludes, "All I Need. Happy Valentine's Day." 

Other items include "Respect" by Aretha Franklin, "24K Magic" by Bruno Mars, "Simply The Best" By Tina Turner and "Shake It Up" by the Cars.  

I didn't know anyone still turned out 45s in any way and I wonder how many people who get this kind of card will have anything to play it on. And it's not cheap. Each card runs $13 U.S. each. (Remember when they were only 69 cents?)

I'm not sure if they're even available in Canada, but you can see them here.

July 13, 2018 11:11 am  #2

Re: The Return Of The 45 RPM Record - Sort Of

Well indie small-hole 45-rpm discs were still released on an ad-hoc basis through the 90s and 2000s.  But I remember Canadian record companies pretty much calling it quits on 45-rpm discs in April of 1990.  Most of the singles I got through the 90s were from the US for jukeboxes.  I was lucky to get those.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 14, 2018 4:20 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I didn't know anyone still turned out 45s in any way and I wonder how many people who get this kind of card will have anything to play it on. 

It's a USB turntable these days: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/1169-best-usb-turntables.html

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 14, 2018 6:31 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Just saw this on FYImusicnews.ca. The 45 RPM record is back. Well, sort of. Turns out you just have to buy a card to go with it.

Hallmark has introduced a series of greeting cards that come with a 45 RPM record inside matching the occasion. For instance, one Valentine's Day card reads "You & Me," with hearts on the front. Inside, with the 45 of "Need You Tonight" by INXS, it concludes, "All I Need. Happy Valentine's Day." 

Other items include "Respect" by Aretha Franklin, "24K Magic" by Bruno Mars, "Simply The Best" By Tina Turner and "Shake It Up" by the Cars.  

I didn't know anyone still turned out 45s in any way and I wonder how many people who get this kind of card will have anything to play it on. And it's not cheap. Each card runs $13 U.S. each. (Remember when they were only 69 cents?)

I'm not sure if they're even available in Canada, but you can see them here.

I saw a thread or two about these on the Steve Hoffman audiophile site a while ago including this one Hallmark 45's

Plus there's quite a few threads on 45's including this one

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/