sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2018 12:41 pm  #1

NBC Discovers The Dangers Of Covering An Anti-Trump Protest Live

It was around 12:30 PM Friday, when NBC News learned the hazards of covering a bunch of anti-Trump haters live. 

In a special broadcast about the indictment of 12 Russians for allegedly hacking into Democratic computers and interfering with the American election, anchor Lester Holt threw to chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel, who was in the middle of a very angry anti-Trump protest in the heart of London. 

As he commented on the latest development, a man deliberately walked in front of the camera carrying a large handwritten sign that was very visible for viewers watching live coast-to-coast. It read: "Trump is a c**t."

Except the guy didn't use the asterisks. 

It took them a few seconds back in New York to realize what was on their screen and after that, we never saw Engel on camera again. (I can only wonder what Samantha Bee must have thought about that going out over one of the biggest American networks in the country.)

Holt, to his credit, saw what happened and later apologized for the "profanity" in the shot. 

It's always amazing to me, in an era where there are so many live shots, that this kind of stuff doesn't happen more often. 

July 13, 2018 1:18 pm  #2

Re: NBC Discovers The Dangers Of Covering An Anti-Trump Protest Live

It doesn't happen more because the social media snowflake warriors bitch and whine and want to ruin whoever posts it. Look at all those snowflake whimps that jump on the female live reporters what are "assaulted" with all that "fhritp" stuff. The welfare baby-making soccer mommys that sit on Facebook cry like their precious eyes were burned just watching the message. They claim PTSD and want more money because their goddamn sensibilities were touched. Effing whimps we will have in future generations.

July 13, 2018 1:41 pm  #3

Sometimes these kinds of wounds are totally self-inflicted or easily preventable.

I remember a few years ago posting to a previous SOWNY incarnation a .jpg off the TV screen of a CTV noon newscast. The reporter was doing a live hit (so no tape to throw to) during a story that had nothing whatsoever to do with a Bell union on strike against the company.

Apparently, the strikers found out where the sat truck was and showed up. As the woman reporter was doing her spiel, she had no idea that a guy was walking behind her with a giant picket sign that clearly read “Bell Unfair To Employees.”

There was nowhere for the director to go, so they had to stay on that shot for what must have seemed forever while the reporter finished her stand-up.

Then there’s the tale that a friend of mine who used to work for the old CityPulse told me. If you remember that newscast, one of the features on the late show was that they’d send a camera to some club somewhere, get a few minutes of some singer or group playing and then air a bit of it as part of their Entertainment package, a sort of 'who’s on stage in the city tonight' package.

If you’ve never worked in TV news, you may not know that many of the control room people aren’t actually watching what’s going out on screen once a report or tape is successfully playing. The director is often busy trying to figure out the next few shots, the production assistant is adding up how short or long the show is, the technical director is making sure he has the next source ready, and the producer is sometimes on the phone talking to editing about whether the next piece will be ready in time.

And so it was that a singer, now long forgotten to history, is on stage in some trendy downtown club being shown on City TV news wearing a T-shirt with a plainly visible message. “Cool As Fuck,” it read in blazingly visible green letters.

This went out over the air for at least 50 seconds before anyone actually noticed. They finally cut away but by then it had been on screen for what felt like hours. How it got by the editors is anyone’s guess.

Worse yet, they’d planned to use that footage as their end credits!

Language and standards have changed a lot since those days and you can get away with a lot more. But as my friend told me, “that’s the kind of thing that could only happen at City in those days!”

Oddly, no one in the audience seemed to care and he told me they didn’t receive a single complaint about the offensive word on the phones.   

July 13, 2018 2:22 pm  #4

I feel sorry for her Majesty, having to take tea with #45. The media coverage of the giant Trump baby cartoon balloon has been a delight, and so successful a tour for the charming floaty fellow is planned. I strongly feel we need Trump baby t-shirts, inflatable pool toys, and gummies and marshmallow Trump babies to chomp on to relieve our frustration.

The faff, to use Brit slang, about the "C" word is as overblown as the Donald's "hair" and I am reminded of that most excellent, sketch ending line from Monty Python: "what a silly bunt." ;)

Last edited by betaylored (July 13, 2018 2:28 pm)

July 13, 2018 3:42 pm  #5

The FACT that the sign was accurate and correct must have had some bearing on its being broadcast to the masses.  He's a "silly Bunt" indeed!!!  2 guesses as to who was involved at 'this' end in terms of the money laundering.  Give us a B!!!  Give us a U!!!  Give us an N!!!  Give us a T!!!  What's that spell?  45!!!  Louder!!!  45!!!  LOUDER!!!  45!!!!!

July 13, 2018 3:49 pm  #6

Trump's a coot?

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

July 13, 2018 5:43 pm  #7

it's times like this, that I know why I hang out with you guys and gals.*

*not to jinx anything, knock on wood etc.