sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2018 9:38 am  #1

Online Oldies Station Pledges Obscure Cuts - & 60% CanCon!

While I like the idea of less played tunes being part of a playlist, I'm not sure about the wisdom of an online station that voluntarily plays 60% Canadian content. But that's the promise for an entity called DustyDiscsRadio.com, based out of B.C.

They have a pretty ambitious programming line-up for such a small start-up and while they're primarily aiming at a west coast audience, being online makes them accessible anywhere. Here's how they describe themselves:

"Dusty Discs Radio (DDR) is not your typical “oldies radio station”. While we do play hit music from the '60s, '70s and '80s (with the occasional dip into the '90s), we pride ourselves in also covering the misses, forgotten favourites, one-hit wonders, hard-to-find 45s, goofy greats and much, much more. 

"We also bring you great memories via commercials, cartoons TV show themes, movie trailers, artist trivia and clips, fads of the day and anything else that you, the listener, cares to throw our way. But what makes DDR truly unique is our commitment to showcasing the Canadian talent from those three amazing decades.​

"DDR is a chance to revisit the soundtrack of your life. It's for anyone that loves both Canadiana and reliving the glory days of your youth.

"​You can even help decide what tunes or classic memories (such as commercials or TV show themes) are played on DDR. Just send us a note on our Request page.​"

The local paper has more about the start-up and the station itself - and its "last played" list - can be found here.

July 10, 2018 3:00 pm  #2

Re: Online Oldies Station Pledges Obscure Cuts - & 60% CanCon!

foolishness.

July 10, 2018 7:01 pm  #3

Old Codger wrote:

foolishness.

Let's not lose sight (or hearing) of the fact that Canada's Okanagan Valley from Osoyoos to Oliver, Penticton, Summerland, Kelowna and Vernon has become one big adult lifestyle community where 29 - 54 happened decades ago.   

The market is the market, O. Codger

July 10, 2018 7:31 pm  #4

I attempted to listen to them last week.  Sorry, really didn't enjoy it.  Volunteering 60% is well.......

July 10, 2018 7:58 pm  #5

I'm dumb. I didn't realize that online stations had to play cancon. 

July 11, 2018 12:51 am  #6

The only thing that bothers me, and I don't mean to be negative, but 60% of the music has already been driven into the ground.

July 11, 2018 6:37 am  #7

mike marshall wrote:

The only thing that bothers me, and I don't mean to be negative, but 60% of the music has already been driven into the ground.

Not quite. Here's their latest playlist and aside from the April Wine and Pursuit of Happiness tracks I don't belive the others have been driven into the ground. Could not copy and paste properley to include the artists but it seems at this point they are more than 60 % cancon.

Here's a few suggestions for them.

Tanquility Base. The group Ian Thomas was in:

Passing Fancy ( made the CHUM CHART and this song was later a cancon hit by Madrigal):

[list=a]
[*]Five Man Electrical BandMoney Back Guarantee.mp3
[*]Dusty Discs RadioStation ID 10
[*]The StampedersC'est la Vie.mp3
[*]The Pursuit of HappinessI'm an Adult Now.mp3
[*]Bobby CurtolaWalking With My Angel.mp3
[*]April WineBad Side of the Moon
[*]Station ID 18Station ID 18
[*]The DiamondsOne Summer Night.mp3
[*]Candi and the BackbeatUnder Your Spell.mp3
[*]Alanis Morissette
[*] 
[/list]

Last edited by Fitz (July 11, 2018 9:49 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 11, 2018 9:01 pm  #8

Fitz wrote:

mike marshall wrote:

Not quite. Here's their latest playlist and aside from the April Wine and Pursuit of Happiness tracks I don't belive the others have been driven into the ground. Could not copy and paste properley to include the artists but it seems at this point they are more than 60 % cancon.

Here's a few suggestions for them.

Tanquility Base. The group Ian Thomas was in:

Passing Fancy ( made the CHUM CHART and this song was later a cancon hit by Madrigal):

[list=a]
[*]Five Man Electrical BandMoney Back Guarantee.mp3
[*]Dusty Discs RadioStation ID 10
[*]The StampedersC'est la Vie.mp3
[*]The Pursuit of HappinessI'm an Adult Now.mp3
[*]Bobby CurtolaWalking With My Angel.mp3
[*]April WineBad Side of the Moon
[*]Station ID 18Station ID 18
[*]The DiamondsOne Summer Night.mp3
[*]Candi and the BackbeatUnder Your Spell.mp3
[*]Alanis Morissette
[*] 
[/list]

Under Your Spell by Candi?!   That track did not age well. 

July 11, 2018 9:25 pm  #9

I'd love to do a 60% Cancon web stream.  but then i also wouldn't expect it to pay for itself either.  its an internet station programmed with apparently well intentioned and passionate people.  If that's what they want to do, then "fill yer boots".

Also I believe it was "Candi & the Backbeat" Under Your Spell.  Sure it ages poorly, but nomenclature is important