sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2018 11:41 am  #1

Mayor John Tory to host morning show Tuesday on Newstalk 1010

John Moore announced early on Friday's show he has an invitation to play golf next Tuesday. John said since Dave Trafford isn't available to fill-in, he was going to reach out to our mayor to see if he'd fill in. John Tory just happened to be available at that moment on the phone to go on-air, and said he'd be happy to do the show.

They chatted back and forth lightheartedly and Mayor Tory joked that he may need to return to radio as a career in the future.

There didn't seem to be much focus on Newstalk 1010 this morning regarding the substantial changes in Toronto city hall security voted in by the city council last night. Major changes (metal detectors, bags checked, glass walls/barriers) that a short time ago, these same politicians including our mayor said would never happen, and were not necessary.

I'll be listening to Newstalk 1010 Tuesday morning because Mayor Tory is smart, and always interesting on the radio.

Last edited by betaylored (June 29, 2018 12:25 pm)

June 29, 2018 12:30 pm  #2

Re: Mayor John Tory to host morning show Tuesday on Newstalk 1010

He happened to pick up the phone???  betaylored, it's all show biz.  I'm sure this whole thing was set up ahead of time.  However; saying that, Tory is a great talk show host.

Last edited by AMFM (June 29, 2018 12:31 pm)

June 29, 2018 12:38 pm  #3

Is this not a bit of a conflict of interest? Has Tory not said he'd run in the upcoming October municipal erections? Will they be offering other candidates equal morning drive opportunities? He's a mayor of all the people, not just RB's usual white, male, 60+, right-wing, dashboard pounding, social media warriors.

June 29, 2018 1:36 pm  #4

They regularly feature Knia Singh as a guest panelist. He's recently announced he's challenging Tory for the mayoral position in the next election. 

So while Tory is getting his own "show" back for a day, this guy is on at least once a week, maybe more. So he certainly is getting some air time. Whether it's "equal" time or not, is a toss-up.

June 29, 2018 1:57 pm  #5

Lets be realistic.
It would be an issue if there were any credible challengers for the mayor's job.  As it stands, it really doesn't matter.  He doesn't have to say a word about his campaign.  Besides, it's a one-off thing anyway and he happens to be qualified to do it.

June 29, 2018 2:57 pm  #6

where is sarah thomson??.

john tory can say what he wants as long as its not political toronto centric.  that will cancel out political bias and equal time

June 29, 2018 4:09 pm  #7

It's still suspect in my mind. Tory CANNOT keep 3.5 hour show without showboating about this CV and Toronto. This is absolutely no better than that shilled crap on the weekends. Shame on RB for deliberately trying to deceive their listenership. What had a great heritage being Ontario's Authoritative News Voice has sunk to these embarrassing depths. With all the talent out there, they couldn't find some broadcaster better suited? Shame, rb, shame.

June 29, 2018 5:57 pm  #8

Ya   if this gig at RB doesn't amount to anything, there is a Swing announcer posting on Milkman Unlimited and it is with the GIANT FM in Niagara!

http://milkmanunlimited.com/Job_Postings/Entries/2018/6/14_Part_Time_Swing_Announcer_-_GIANT_FM___COUNTRY_89_-_Niagara_ON.html

I do like John on the radio and can appreciate that there are a lot of issues facing the City right now...I fully expect him to talk about it and how the new Doug Ford government might affect things!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 30, 2018 1:42 am  #9

Here's a question. Does John Tory need to address the upcoming changes in security at city hall when he hosts Tuesday morning.

Metal detectors, bags checked, glass walls: this is a serious change in the way visitors to city hall will be greeted. The cost of this is also a factor, and how it impacts taxpayers.

With Doug Ford's swearing in ceremony on Friday, and the long weekend, there seemed to be nary a mention on Toronto airwaves of what would normally be a fairly hot topic. Possibly I could have missed the news reports and round table discussion.

Maybe the security change and cost involved will be addressed after the long weekend is over, and reporters are looking for something to cover.

At any rate it'll definitely be interesting to listen on Tuesday morning and hear John Tory do the show as a radio host/mayor hybrid.

Last edited by betaylored (June 30, 2018 2:35 am)

June 30, 2018 11:28 am  #10

betaylored wrote:

there seemed to be nary a mention on Toronto airwaves of what would normally be a fairly hot topic. Possibly I could have missed the news reports and round table discussion.

OR... reporters know this is most likely a non-story. Realistically, how many citizens actually ever, in their lifetime, go to City Hall? Beyond that, in this day and age of terrorism, how many citizens probably thought City Hall already had all these security measures in place? 

July 1, 2018 6:16 pm  #11

Oh brother.  I don't listen to CFRB much, but I'll make sure to listen to something else Tuesday morning.  Is anybody planning to keep a running tally of how many times John Tory tries to foist the bills for various things onto everybody else with his stale "...and I think the senior levels of government should step up because there are costs involved and Toronto shouldn't have to pay for that..." routine?

July 3, 2018 8:17 am  #12

As I listened to Tory on Tuesday, my only real complaint right off the top is that he shouldn't be reading ad tags (as he did for Kinetico, the water filtration system out of weather.) He's not just a fill-in host, he's still the mayor and as such, he shouldn't be heard endorsing any product. These should have been pre-recorded by a separate voice.

Otherwise, I suspect we're hearing him do what might be his next gig after he serves his promised second and last term.

July 3, 2018 11:33 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Otherwise, I suspect we're hearing him do what might be his next gig after he serves his promised second and last term.

Dunno about that RA. John Moore has a huge, loyal audience that would hate to see "Moore In The Morning" end. Unless John Moore is looking for a change, why mess with a great show.

And as much as I enjoy John Tory on-air, he is a more formal, studied host than John Moore. He (Tory) may be cheery and upbeat, but he doesn't have the sunny, whimsical charm and natural morning show personality that Mr. Moore shares with his listeners.

The station budget probably couldn't cover the cost of the two co-hosting a show "Moore and Tory Mornings!" but the idea of both on together is intriguing in a way..

Last edited by betaylored (July 3, 2018 11:36 am)

July 3, 2018 11:47 am  #14

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Dunno about that RA. John Moore has a huge, loyal audience that would hate to see "Moore In The Morning" end. The station budget probably couldn't cover the cost of the two co-hosting a show "Moore and Tory Mornings!" but the idea of both on together is intriguing in a way..

Why are you assuming his possible future gig would be during morning drive? RA merely indicated "might be his next gig" - not specifically AM. Agreed - Tory is far too formal and stiff for my tastes, but, I can see them nuking their current noon-4pm slots and throw Tory in there.

And a politician keeping their word on only serving two terms? Are you a betting person?

July 3, 2018 6:27 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Prime Minister

July 3, 2018 7:17 pm  #16

Maybe his next gig will be morning drive at 960-CKNT?  

July 3, 2018 7:45 pm  #17

No, they'll still be testing by that point. 

July 3, 2018 7:59 pm  #18

andysradio wrote:

Prime Minister

Here's the plan, Andy:   

A sitting Conservative member in a Peterborough riding will resign their "safe" seat and a by-election will be called so John Tory can run and of course he will win, handily.     Then there will be a Conservatie leadership convention which John Tory, being the popular fellow he is, will win, handily.   At the next federal election, when Justin is thrown out of office, John Tory becomes Prime Minister.     Piece of cake.

K.