sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2018 3:19 pm  #1

Roseanne Barr-ed from television

Can't wait to hear the take all the radio hosts will have about the ABC cancellation of the spectacularly popular tv show from Roseanne.

After a mind boggling racist tweet, and an apology from Ms. Barr, ABC pulled the trigger, and put principles before profit.

The head of ABC is Channing Dungey, the first female African American president of a major media broadcast network.

This latest development is unfortunate for all the fine actors involved in the show.

As Newstalk 1010's John Moore so deftly questioned this afternoon on Twitter, is it a possibility that some media outlet may consider picking up the highly successful show...

May 29, 2018 4:27 pm  #2

Re: Roseanne Barr-ed from television

Irvine wrote:

There is no amendment for "free speech" in private business.  It always comes with consequences.  I'm not sure ABC did this "principle over profit".  Perhaps it was more about profit & the impending shit storm that would have flown across their executive offices.  

Remember, ABC is ultimately owned by Disney. Believe. You. Me., I did v/o for them and their Moral Turpitude clauses in the their contracts are some of the most specific and actionable in the world. If they caught me passing wind, in an empty bathroom, in an abandoned church in Antarctica, I'd be out.

That said, there is a very strong possibility that another faction will pick up the morbidly obese Trump-supporting sitcom.  

May 29, 2018 5:34 pm  #3

cGrant wrote:

there is a very strong possibility that another faction will pick up the morbidly obese Trump-supporting sitcom.  

Not for some time, if ever. Wouldn't be surprised if Trump owns some of this, too.

May 29, 2018 6:47 pm  #4

Hulu, Paramount Television, and others are dropping the Roseanne reruns. There could be more to the story, maybe she wanted to renegotiate her contract, or was making unreasonable demands on set, that also led to this, or she could have harassed someone.

While the tweet was inexcusable, she's said obnoxious things in the past. They knew who they were hiring when they hired her, and were quite happy to cash in on her special brand of ... coarseness as a substitute for wit.

I think further details will emerge.

John Goodman is one hell of an actor, he could play Dan as a widower.

May 29, 2018 7:10 pm  #5

betaylored wrote:

John Goodman is one hell of an actor, he could play Dan as a widower.

What, like that racist bitch (Roseanne) played widow in the last season of that sitcom? That fat bitch (sorry I feel strongly about this), she's a selfish cow, costing the rest of the cast all their additional residual income.

May 29, 2018 7:33 pm  #6

betaylored wrote:

Can't wait to hear the take all the radio hosts will have about the ABC cancellation of the spectacularly popular tv show from Roseanne

Oh, it'll be the same old imbecile bullshit as it always is. Expect classic zingers like 'I don't get it that coloureds are compared to apes', or '...but she's a feminist icon and we all owe her', or 'the late-night talk show hosts do it, and they never get cancelled'. I'm sure there may be a few bold apologists who attempt to put an innovative spin on it, but I won't be listening.

May 29, 2018 11:04 pm  #7

Every now and then I agree with ol' cGrant.  THIS would be one of those times.  Her fellow caste 'members should sue her sorry, saggy ass.  Their potential future revenues and suddenly lost income should come out of her ignorant hide.  We owe her nothing but contempt and disdain.  And that orange arsehole who's provided these cowards with their false sense of backbone and immoral turpitude should be yanked out of his bed and hung from the highest white-house tree.

To sit and watch the United States of America plummet to its death as it currently is...is the most shocking social study of my entire lifetime.  There certainly is an obviously visible and blatantly distinct lack of soul contained there-in for such a supposed 'bible thumpin' bunch of ignorant hypocrites.

Now a mere shadow of its former 'aura'...I believe 'America' may well be unsalvageable.  They have no one to blame but themselves.  Roseanne is just the latest emblematic 'poster child' representing this former world power.

Let us not stand by and allow the pond scum up here to grab a toe-hold in Ontario and in Canada.  This  'Yankified' free fall comes accompanied by a wicked undertow.

May 30, 2018 8:42 am  #8

#AmbienMadeMeTweetIt

Roseanne has returned to Twitter, and has said that she was "ambien tweeting" when she made her career pulverizer tweet.

More interestingly, she claims there WAS an advertiser boycott threatening the show, something about Wanda Sykes being not too happy with things... advertisers not being happy Wanda wasn't happy...

She'll be appearing on a podcast that Joe Rogan does on Friday night, then will probably be on the cover of US and OK magazine, and maybe People if they can find a way to spin it. Headline: the Resurrection of Roseanne.

Podcast purgatory. Oh, and I just made up the hashtag, the #AmbienMadeMeTweetIt isn't real (at least as of the typing of this) ;)

May 30, 2018 2:21 pm  #9

mike marshall wrote:

cGrant wrote:

there is a very strong possibility that another faction will pick up the morbidly obese Trump-supporting sitcom.  

Not for some time, if ever. Wouldn't be surprised if Trump owns some of this, too.

So fat-shaming cool, personal appearances involving animals not so much. Unless the personal appearance pokes fun at any conservative or Republican. Good to know we're all about equality.

Did the news media make sure to add "Hillary and Obama supporter Harvey Weinstein..." to every news story involving good friend of the Clintons, Mr. Pro-Feminist Weinstein? Nope. The point? No reason for Trump to own something Roseanne did on Twitter. Anyway, my apologies for any logic brought to the table...

May 30, 2018 3:47 pm  #10

WilliamT wrote:

mike marshall wrote:

cGrant wrote:

So fat-shaming cool, personal appearances involving animals not so much. Unless the personal appearance pokes fun at any conservative or Republican. Good to know we're all about equality.

Did the news media make sure to add "Hillary and Obama supporter Harvey Weinstein..." to every news story involving good friend of the Clintons, Mr. Pro-Feminist Weinstein? Nope. The point? No reason for Trump to own something Roseanne did on Twitter. Anyway, my apologies for any logic brought to the table...

Unfortunately, when it comes to the progressive mindset, this sort of behaviour is quite acceptable.  Not to excuse Ms. Barr, but logic has no place in the sinister mindset.  I still remember one former-poster (and self-admitted shit disturber) on this board who wanted to tear a strip off me becuase I referred to the elder Trudeau's death as "having snuffed it".  

Last edited by Peter the K (May 30, 2018 3:50 pm)

May 30, 2018 4:31 pm  #11

WilliamT:

I wrote:

>> Wouldn't be surprised if Trump owns some of this, too. <<

Trump eventually tweeted:

>> Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call? <<

May 30, 2018 4:41 pm  #12

mike marshall wrote:

Trump eventually tweeted:
Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?

Mike, with respect, who the hell pays attention to Le Grande Orange Oompa Loompa's tweets? The man is certifiable and a genuine egomaniac ass-hat. I'd soon read the carved-in-hunting-knife scratchings on any Jane/Finch walmart bathroom wall than his lunatic ravings. Hell, even the poems scrawled in human excrement in the ladies room are more interesting, regardless of the handful of public hair in the sink. (who the eff brings a hunting knife and shaves their pubics in a walmart?)

May 31, 2018 7:49 pm  #13

Just a few days after Roseanne’s unforgivable tweet that cost the comedian her highly rated gig, comes another incident – but this time, the political shoe is on the left foot.

Canadian comedian Samantha Bee went on her nightly show on TBS Wednesday night and called President Trump’s daughter a word that starts with “c” and rhymes with blunt. Well, you can imagine the backlash. Even Bee herself admits she went too far, issuing a heartfelt apology, calling her choice of words “inappropriate and inexcusable” – similar to the same mea culpa Barr issued for her idiotic joke.

Like Barr, she said something terrible.

Like Barr, she apologized profusely,

But unlike Barr, she hasn’t been fired and her show remains on the air, for now.

The folks on the right immediately noted that unlike Roseanne, who supports Trump and is solidly on the right, Bee – who is on the opposite side politically - did not face the same penalty, although two sponsors have at least temporarily defected. In fact, TBS took part of the blame for not properly bleeping out the offending word.

This, of course, led to angry day-long complaints from Republicans that there’s a real double standard in the media. I’m not on either side, usually taking the middle point on most issues. But as much as it kills me to say it, the conservatives have a point here.

Roseanne loses her show for a racist tweet, which was terrible. But uber-feminist Bee attacks a woman with about the worst word you can use to describe a fellow female and she remains on the air.

It’s hard not to take the view that there does seem to be one set of rules for conservatives and another for liberals. (It was laughable to hear a spokesman for the Washington Post on NBC Nightly News Thursday argue that Roseanne was a known prior offending racist, so she deserves it more.)

Wrong is wrong. If a stupid statement is going to cost you your livelihood, it should apply equally to both sides. But not, it seems, on this politically polarized partisan planet. Man, you couldn’t make this stuff up if you were writing a script of your own.

There’s an old Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times.

Sounds like that curse is coming true!

Samantha Bee Apologizes for Ivanka Trump Slur: "I Crossed a Line"

May 31, 2018 9:41 pm  #14

i think theres an element of context to be considered.  where rosanne took aim at multiple ethnic racial and nazi based targets... bee hit one person who is also a public figure.  bees words were not apprporiate but her position was far less broadly based in hate and misinformation.

yes bee deserves some censure but is hardly on the scale of a race baiter

May 31, 2018 9:42 pm  #15

if we are talking about the C word. and also killing Obama here's something from a ways back and also more recent:

Ted Nugent

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 31, 2018 9:55 pm  #16

Feckless.

May 31, 2018 10:13 pm  #17

RA: Not that I excuse either comedian for their recent rantings, and I could care less about American politics, but, Roseanne was on a national, family-oriented network owned by the Walt Disney Corporation, whilst, Samantha was on a fringe little-watched channel aimed at adults. One is a "family" sitcom, while the other IS an outspoken comedian that routine talks political satire. 

That said, this raises a question (one I do NOT have an answer): how much of what a "celebrity" says in their off-hours should impact their professional career. Granted, one could argue that celebrities don't have an actual "off" period, but, is that fair? Are they not entitled to their own opinions? I don't know - I could go either way here.

May 31, 2018 10:56 pm  #18

@cgrant.  a legit question.  celebs have always played a part in us politics.... jane fonda in viet nam....

the star machine has created a mentality that stars opinions actually matter for some reason.

but trumpy bear has taken it to the next level... believing that fame attracts fame.  that kardashian is worth discussing prison reform or that he needs to pardon martha stewart... linking with kanye or fox n friends....

celebs opinions are useless and while they are entitled to preaching their views the current president not only promotes... but actively solicits them

so all that notwithstanding... those fhritp guys also deserve to be called on the carpet to answer for their stupidity too

Last edited by splunge (May 31, 2018 11:00 pm)

May 31, 2018 11:58 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

TBS took part of the blame for not properly bleeping out the offending word.

Part of the blame was not enough. The show was pre-recorded. What does that tell us as broadcasters?

Now, if Twitter had employed its answer to the 7-second delay, this thread might not exist.

June 1, 2018 2:15 am  #20

Roseanne Barr acted as an individual, but as far as I understand it, Samantha Bee had an entire show of people in on this, and management that could have pulled the plug on the thing before it went to air.

In newsrooms it's 'it bleeds it leads' and in comedy some believe 'if it shocks it rocks'.

Last edited by betaylored (June 1, 2018 3:03 am)

June 1, 2018 3:14 am  #21

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 2, 2018 10:44 pm  #22

Would agree that this is not about left or right or ideology but unfortunately in the USA the party of the right is veering ever more irrational:

Last edited by Fitz (June 2, 2018 10:45 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 3, 2018 7:56 pm  #23

Interesting story about how those behind the scenes on the crew, the people you never see or hear about, are reacting to what happened and what it will cost them. 

Cast and crew in a bind after ABC’s abrupt cancellation of ‘Roseanne’

June 4, 2018 6:23 am  #24

In case you are going through John Goodman withdrawal, there's season 4 of the tv show "Damages" where he played the head of High Star, a private security firm providing special ops services in Afghanistan. Even though the role is that of the main villain, Goodman gives him so many layers, and he has a great character arc, going from good Christian family man, to someone willing to do whatever it takes to save his company.

"Damages" is a pretty good show if you're looking for something to watch while you're waiting for the last season of "Game of Thrones" or "House of Cards" or dreading the Heigled new season of "Suits".

June 21, 2018 10:34 pm  #25

The show will be back - but without its titular star. Will it work? We'll know next season. 

Roseanne Spinoff The Conners Ordered to Series at ABC, to Premiere This Fall — Is Roseanne Going to Be Killed Off?

June 22, 2018 2:35 pm  #26

Will it work? Probably not.

Nobody cares about anyone on that show except for John Goodman who does not need the show to boost his career.

Ever since I checked in here, we had Samantha Bee keep her job for calling someone a word that all females seem to despise - oh, except if it's the daughter of the President who happens to be a Republican in this particular decade.

Someone called Trump an orange orangutan...I guess that's perfectly fine. What Roseanne said? Oh no, we can't have that.

Oh yeah, Douglas Ford is the new Premiere. Reading unhinged Facebook posts 24 hours after the election was quite entertaining.

Hypocrisy runs deep.

June 22, 2018 2:44 pm  #27

RadioActive wrote:

The show will be back - but without its titular star. Will it work? We'll know next season. 

Roseanne Spinoff The Conners Ordered to Series at ABC, to Premiere This Fall — Is Roseanne Going to Be Killed Off?

It's funny. Some media outlets covering the story still castigated Barr for the tweet, and causing the upheaval in everyone's career, some outlets were more balanced, and reported that she won't be making any money from the spinoff and is required to receive a production credit, I believe due to the Director's Guild requirements.

They could very well kill her off. Death by a self-inflicted dumb shot wound.