sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2018 2:48 pm  #1

Caller ID spoofing to end?

Those annoying phone calls which display "local" and/or spoofed caller ID might be (pardon the pun) numbered. (doubtful)
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-32.htm

June 14, 2018 8:35 pm  #2

Re: Caller ID spoofing to end?

I keep getting calls from the Hyatt Hotel (supposedly) "thank you for choosing the Hyatt Hotel" that are pre-recorded by someone speaking english with an asian accent. And, also nuisance calls from phone numbers that if I reverse 411 them, come up as a Rogers owned business address.

As members of various radio roundtable discussions have said, it's not a problem to make the laws and regulations, enforcing them is another matter.

Last edited by betaylored (June 14, 2018 8:36 pm)

June 14, 2018 9:25 pm  #3

Try this site to at least attempt to find out who it really is. If nothing else, you'll find you're definitely not alone. 

June 14, 2018 11:19 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Try to at least attempt to find out who it really is. If nothing else, you'll find you're definitely not alone. 

RA: The problem with that site includes the whole issue of spoofing. If you search by the number on your caller ID, that database will only show you who is legitimately registered to the displayed number. Hell, I've actually had a telemarketer call me and on the display, was my number! I played with the caller for a while but they hung up on me when I fake-channeled some demonic lingo and was inviting them to join Lucifer's coven.

June 15, 2018 12:24 am  #5

It's the comments from other site users I find useful. Unlike them, I never answer my phone when I don't know the number. I find eventually they just stop calling and if it is legit, they'll almost always leave a message. I've used the site occasionally to see if anyone else has received calls from a certain number and it's nice to know they had to deal with the CRA spammers or the ever present duct cleaners, but I didn't.

And there's always call block for the persistent types. And yes, they can and do change the spoofed number quite often but the site helps me keep track of that, too.

Finally, I've also gotten calls from my own number but I never answered it. After all, I have no idea what I want or why I'm bothering to call myself. And I'd probably just hang up on me, which is what most people do!

Personally, I like Steven Wright's idea of having his answering machine in the car with a message that says, "Sorry I can't take your call right now because I'm home. But leave a message and I'll call you when I'm out." Pure genius.

June 15, 2018 10:59 am  #6

Irvine wrote:

All I can say is good luck. Most of these calls are VoIP and spoofing a call is dead simple. 

Irvine: A technical question: Is there any known technical way the telecos could kill VoIP spoofing? At first glance, it seems mindbogglingly complex. Some sort of ping to the originating number and confirm it is actually the originating caller? Seem impossible, given the ease that a spoofed # can be refreshed.