sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2018 5:07 pm  #1

Ex-RB Host Mike Bullard Pleads Guilty To Two Charges, Gets Probation

Comedian and former CFRB talk show host Mike Bullard has admitted in court to charges of making harassing phone calls and breaking two court orders surrounding his former relationship with City TV news reporter Cynthia Mulligan. (A charge of criminal harassment was dropped earlier.) 

So what happens now? Bullard won't be going to jail. Instead, he gets 6 months probation, agreed to mandatory counselling and he has to stay away from Mulligan for good. She read a victim impact statement to the court on Friday, telling him to his face that his behaviour was abusive and that it made her fearful. 

Provided he follows the edicts, it brings a very sad story to a final ending.  

June 8, 2018 7:13 pm  #2

Re: Ex-RB Host Mike Bullard Pleads Guilty To Two Charges, Gets Probation

Cynthia Mulligan's victim impact statement packed a punch. The Star has more details about what she said and how much this whole episode has hurt her life. 

“When a man abuses a mother, he abuses her children as well. They become collateral damage ... No woman should ever have to go through this simply because she ended a relationship.”

In her statement to the court, Mulligan said Bullard would drive by her work, send her texts and phone calls while she was reporting on air, and even threatened to talk negatively about her on his radio show.

Mike Bullard pleads guilty to harassing phone calls to ex-girlfriend 

June 8, 2018 7:45 pm  #3

June 8, 2018 8:36 pm  #4

Another great quote from The Toronto Sun:

“You abused your power as a radio host as well, threatening to talk about me on your show if I didn’t do as you ordered. That’s blackmail,” said Mulligan. “And you carried out your threat.

“I’m going to be crystal clear one more time. Don’t ever contact me and my children again, as long as you live,” she said.

June 9, 2018 1:38 am  #5

Bullard is not exactly remorseful according to the ETC story:

When it was Bullard’s turn to speak, he told the judge: “I want to try and rebuild my life. I have no intention of contacting her in any shape or form. It won’t happen again, Your Honour,” he said.

Outside the court, however, Bullard told reporters that Mulligan’s victim impact statement was “the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard in my life,” adding: “I’ve never stalked or abused a woman in my life. I’ve never made an obscene phone call in my life, and I never will. I never want to see this person again, but I bear her no ill will.”

https://etcanada.com/news/336138/former-talk-show-host-mike-bullard-pleads-guilty-to-harassing-ex-girlfriend/

June 9, 2018 5:55 am  #6

In the article from the Star, there was a link to Mike Bullard's Twitter account. He tweeted that people should read Joe Warmington's piece this weekend to get his side of the story.

Below is another tweet from Mr. Bullard commenting on his court appearance involving Ms. Mulligan.

"because my judge and best friend were there today I assumed we were getting married"

Not sure if "Touchdowns and Fumbles" on Newstalk 1010 would consider addressing the situation, and offering Mr. Bullard perspective on how all his words and actions appear to not just his fans and detractors, but to the public.

June 9, 2018 10:11 am  #7

Bullard used to be assigned to cover street theatre such as the annual "Taste of the Danforth" in which he would tease (flirt with) women who had food booths.    Not everyone (if anyone) will agree with me that he was entertaining and hilarious.     

My point of view FWIW (probably SFA). 

June 9, 2018 12:03 pm  #8

He doesn't aquit himself well in this video (embedded in tweet)
https://twitter.com/NEWSTALK1010/status/1005207756352172034?s=20

Certainly comes across as unremorseful and obsessive.

June 9, 2018 5:27 pm  #9

Here is Cynthia's full victim impact statement:

https://www.facebook.com/1113030342/posts/10215267000004286/?__fns&hash=Ac2yZ_MKvjMfgxCc

To a certain degree, I do feel sorry for Bullard: there are no classes in school that teach men (or women) how to deal with the emotions of a breakup. It would be great if, when any breakup happens, that both parties agree that they are emotionally done with the other person and can move on. When one side still has strong feelings and isn't ready to let go, there's when you have the beginnings of a disaster waiting to happen.

If I were Mulligan, I'd would still purchase a gun, regardless of what Bullard is promising.

June 9, 2018 5:36 pm  #10

TomTV wrote:

If I were Mulligan, I'd would still purchase a gun, regardless of what Bullard is promising.

And, WHAT would you do with it? Kill Mike if he came near you? Really? THAT's your solution? Homicide?

Why not just hire a couple goons and whack him? Fit him with cement shoes and dump him in the Don River.

Please.

June 9, 2018 5:57 pm  #11

Obsessive behavior doesn't just stop cold. And you, I'm sure, know of many news stories where the man ultimately resorts to murder-suicide as the final solution to his own pain.

His career is over, at least here in Canada. One can easily say that as his life worsens, given that he has clearly not accepted any real responsibility in his own downfall, that he will take it out on the person he imagines led him down to that ruin.  Yes, she should be prepared to defend herself (and her children) should Mike ever come calling again. I don't want to see a much darker headline a year from now about a tragic murder-suicide.

June 9, 2018 6:10 pm  #12

TomTV wrote:

in his own downfall, that he will take it out on the person he imagines led him down to that ruin. Yes, she should be prepared to defend herself (and her children) should Mike ever come calling again. I don't want to see a much darker headline a year from now about a tragic murder-suicide.

So, you automatically assume he suffers from an obsessive mental disorder with only one outcome: maximum violence towards victim and self.

And, that, Sir, is the problem with those that don't understand mental illness: plethoric generalization. Please. Please educate yourself before you assess blindly the story behind the story. I assume you are trying to be helpful towards the victim. Mass hysteria has NEVER assisted in the peaceful resolution of this type of issue. I would strongly suggest you step back before you assume. Seriously: it is of no benefit to profess to know the inner workings of either the victim or accused's minds. Please.

June 14, 2018 12:45 pm  #13

Please don't assume anything on your behalf about me. You are wrong and I don't need your condescending "advice". I am not telling her to go hunt down Bullard and gun him down. I am saying that she should be prepared to defend herself. Whether that's with a gun, or taking Krav Maga lessons, I don't particularly care so long as it works for her and gives her a sense of safety. 

You are assuming that I'm saying it's an inevitable conclusion that he will come for her. I am only suggesting that I've seen this story on the news many, many times over the years where there is a chance that the obsessive individual will act out and she needs to be prepared for that possibility. About half of all murders are perpetrated by someone the victim knows, obviously that includes a (jilted) romantic partner. Toss in someone who has shown no remorse, doesn't believe he is at fault, and has tanked his own career, and that's always a reason to be cautious.

What YOU should do is read her story in Chatelaine magazine and understand her side of the story, and precisely why she is still nervous even with the guilty plea. Please educate yourself about why women don't feel safe when it comes to men. You seem to always take the male side, but willfully ignore what women suffer through be that sexual harassment in the workplace or threatening behavior from former lovers. That attitude is outdated.

https://www.chatelaine.com/news/cynthia-mulligan-mike-bullard-qa/

June 14, 2018 1:04 pm  #14

Tom, not sure who you're addressing, but your post was confusing. My main point had nothing to specifically to do with you and violence. My point was that encouraging ANYONE to arm themselves and prepare to kill another person is not, in my view, the best choice. Male, female or other. I hardly take the male side. My point would stand regardless of gender. If the victim genuinely fear for their life, there are police and/or legal options available. Self-defense is a different beast in Canada vs the States.

June 14, 2018 2:08 pm  #15

cGrant wrote:

Tom, not sure who you're addressing, but your post was confusing. My main point had nothing to specifically to do with you and violence. My point was that encouraging ANYONE to arm themselves and prepare to kill another person is not, in my view, the best choice. Male, female or other. I hardly take the male side. My point would stand regardless of gender. If the victim genuinely fear for their life, there are police and/or legal options available. Self-defense is a different beast in Canada vs the States.

...and that choice of yours is how women have been murdered by their stalkers. Congrats. Tom's statement wasn't controversial when a woman is defending themselves against men, or women, who want to abuse their power and control over another person. 

By all means call the police. When they arrive 10-20 minutes after the phone call she will be another victim reported in the news. Tom's way has a better chance to help end stalking and promote female heroism. There's your equality lesson of the day.

June 14, 2018 2:44 pm  #16

Agree to disagree. Police response time aside, I'm sorry, I don't think that arming all victims is the way to go. What's next, upon release or probation of the guilty, the state summons the victim to a police firing range, issue them a .45, several rounds of ammo and teach them via target practice? Does that sound ridiculous? Otherwise, where are all these victims getting their sidearms?

How about we toughen up the laws and penalties so the accused remain in custody that display a bonafide threat to society? Instead of a slap on the weiner or probation, we lock them up? Otherwise, we have a wild west out there and dole out victims justice.

June 14, 2018 8:16 pm  #17

Cynthia Mulligan has spoken to Chatelaine magazine in detail about her relationship with Mike Bullard, and gives her side of the story, including what it felt like to go through the court system, saying that he seemed like two different people, and that the guilty verdict did not give her a sense of relief.

The piece is written by Sarah Boesveld, who I believe was part of the Rogers group of people who were laid off today.

I did attempt to attach the article here, but without success. It is worth a read.

Last edited by betaylored (June 14, 2018 8:21 pm)

August 15, 2018 2:50 pm  #18

August 15, 2018 4:43 pm  #19

Mr. Bullard.  When you're in a hole, stop digging.

August 24, 2018 8:51 am  #20

It's now official. Bullard is going after Rogers, which publishes Chatelaine, seeking $6 million in damages for defamation.

Mike Bullard Launches Defamation Suit Against Chatelaine

August 27, 2018 7:32 am  #21

I guess he's hoping Rogers will settle out of court rather than pay for an expensive court case  and he'll get somecash and claim victory. Reading over the lawsuit though it's hard to see how he can blame Rogers for loss of income and his current state of unemployability when that's a result of Bell firing him and his subsequent charges, behaviour, and guilty plea (to a lesser charge). I think Bullard is grasping at straws here. At least he knows enough not to sue Mulligan for making the comments Maclean's printed. (That being said, it's certainly a lapse that Maclean's didn't ask Bullard for comment before publishing. Aside from being standard journalistic practice it's also helps cover your ass.)

Last edited by Hansa (August 27, 2018 7:35 am)

June 23, 2023 12:40 pm  #22

Update

The PI Michael Dubros,convicted of threatning witnesses just had his sentence modifies by the Court of Appeal from 18 months jail time to 2 years house arrest.

https://coadecisions.ontariocourts.ca/coa/coa/en/item/21571/index.do

June 23, 2023 9:19 pm  #23

It was fun to relive the time someone on this board expressed admiration for and defended a stalker.
All you have to do is watch clips of his old monologues where he'd angerly assume the crowd didn't get it when they wouldn't laugh at a mediocre joke.  You could watch him come to a boil on national TV 5 nights a week for a few years.