sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2018 2:08 pm  #1

Roundhouse Radio

Does anyone have any updates on Roundhouse Radio.  Since going off air, I haven't heard any updates from Gene Valitis for example; or Don Shafer.  Has Gene come back to Toronto?  

June 12, 2018 11:38 pm  #2

Re: Roundhouse Radio

Gene still is out here in Vancouver and we have a standing engagement for lunch to catch up on the current situation and years gone by.  As to Roundhouse, not a public peep about what's happening to it.  I can't imagine anyone paying anything near what had been invested in it with absolutely no return and the highly compromised over the air signal it put out in it's original form.

June 13, 2018 5:02 pm  #3

Word on the street in Vancouver is that it was bought by Sukwinder Badh, licensee of "Pulse 107" Surrey, another FM station that is in constant turmoil, a virtual revolving door of staff.   You may recall that Mr. Badh's brothers and father were awarded the AM 600 frequency for ethnic broadcasting - Radio Sher-e-Punjab.  They formerly ran the AM 1550 KRPI operation out of Richmond BC, (and held shares in BBC Broadcasting - the U.S. licensee of KRPI) which was "sort of" closed down by the CRTC, but just moved operations into someone else's house, in Surrey.  In any event, conjecture is that the format will change and CIRR will become a rebroad of CISF-FM Surrey, or vice-versa.  Or then again, they might try and position it to become an ethnic station focussed on the Punjabi community.

June 14, 2018 1:36 am  #4

@tvguy.  if they want to go ethnic there are a whole lot of crtc hoops to jump through... and objections from current broadcasters.  good luck to them.

btw cirr fm is the lgbt station in toronto...

Last edited by splunge (June 14, 2018 1:38 am)

June 14, 2018 2:58 am  #5

Negativity?  How about reality.
As for teaching, I did it for years both at Seneca and a year filling in at BCIT, both times at PhD status.
You would consider it bragging if I told you about some of the very successful broadcasters I was able to help start their careers in this crazy business.
I've built radio stations on very thin budgets that became powerhouses in their markets and I've built some on unlimited budgets but they already were successful broadcasters in major markets and continue to bring in revenue.
Both my brother and I, both semi retired, still continue to work in the consulting and engineering fields and are both called upon when AM stations especially have trouble with transmitters and antenna problems because so few stations now employ any engineers, only IT people who know little about older technology which still exists but with almost no one left who knows how to keep it going.  I only wanted to help Don get his project off the ground for the minimum amount of money to see if it could be successful before spending millions on hope that it would succeed.  I've known and worked with him before in the 70s.