sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2018 8:09 am  #1

Friday Flashback: Hockey Night In Canada - On Vinyl?

With the Stanley Cup finals looming, this seems appropriate. Still, I’m not sure I would have believed this if I hadn’t seen the ad below, But there it is – an LP entirely devoted to Hockey Night In Canada.

It doesn't feature the famous theme song from the long running sports attraction – that’s now owned by Bell. Instead, it appears to be an album sporting famous calls and moments from the game, and boasts voices like Foster Hewitt, Dick Irvin, Danny Gallivan and more.

After initially thinking this was the most ridiculous thing in the world, I admit to having a change of heart. Although I wouldn’t be listening to it often (let alone a double-LP!) it might actually be a neat souvenir to have of these broadcast games and voices from the past and all for the bargain price of just $6.98 (and 50 cents for shipping. Are you listening Amazon?)

I'll give them one thing. They claim in the ad that this is "the most exciting record set ever produced about NHL hockey in Canada." That may be because it's likely the only such record on the subject ever produced in Canada or anywhere else. 

I wonder how may people actually bought this back in 1972?

May 25, 2018 1:01 pm  #2

Re: Friday Flashback: Hockey Night In Canada - On Vinyl?

I received it as a Christmas gift and still have it.

May 25, 2018 1:36 pm  #3

Re: Friday Flashback: Hockey Night In Canada - On Vinyl?

maybo wrote:

I received it as a Christmas gift and still have it.

Wow. Apparently I was in error. The Hockey Night in Canada theme song IS on there. There are two of these up on eBay at present. One is going for $50. The other is a whopping $97! (Converted to Canadian coin.)

But about that shipping charge - it ranges from $12.50 to just under $32 - more than the entire LP was originally worth. (I knew that 50 cent shipping and handling charge was a bargain...)