sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2018 1:16 pm  #1

Friday Flashback: Only The CBC Would Do This In 1974

I was going through some old TV Guides in my collection (and yes, I used to collect them as a sort of "pop culture" history book of its time) when I came across the ad below. It was for a CBC show called "Flipside," a summer series that aired in 1974. But only CBC would think to put together the two guests advertised on this particular episode from July 27th of that year. 

Yep, it's James Leroy and David Bowie! One was a Canadian one hit wonder ("You Look Good In Denim" was his biggest Canada-only tune.) And the other, of course, was the legendary David Bowie. I would have loved to have seen these two together on the same show! 

Not sure who was on next week's show, but judging by this line-up, I'm guessing it could have been Mama Cass and Black Sabbath.

May 18, 2018 5:29 pm  #2

Re: Friday Flashback: Only The CBC Would Do This In 1974

Reminds me of the time we were at a television studio circa 1978 for the taping of a disco dance show.

A pal of mine was scheduled to appear

He was an Elvis impersonator from Niagara Falls who in '76 had been on stage with Elvis in Lake Tahoe.

On that same  disco t.v. show was none other than Grace Jones.

I clearly recall her looking at my friend with disgust & thinking..."who and what the hell is this"?

Fuck her

May 18, 2018 5:37 pm  #3

May 18, 2018 5:39 pm  #4

Back in '76 a friend and I were in a movie theater waiting for the feature to start and they showed a trailer for this new film coming in the summer called "Star Wars".

I looked at my friend and said "who would ever want to watch this horseshit?  It's going to be a dud."

Haven't lived it down since.  Still can't be bothered with the franchise, through.

May 18, 2018 7:57 pm  #5

cGrant wrote:

It's too bad that they can't get The Queen Haters to play the Royal Wedding as opposed to Elton John.  

May 19, 2018 3:37 pm  #6

Funny thing is, when Toronto Rocks decided to change their direction with new host Lance Chilton, it didn't just suck, it REALLY SUCKED!! 
No matter, times were changing. Electric Circus was due anyway. 
City TV didn't need Toronto rocks anymore, since parent company Chum group at the time also owned Much Music.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 19, 2018 4:10 pm  #7

May 19, 2018 8:53 pm  #8

James Leroy had plenty of talent but he was a tortured soul...

Committed suicide in a hotel room in Ottawa -- he was just 32