sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2018 4:18 pm  #31

Re: The Evanovs’ Latest Plan: Switch Pride FM To 103.5 & CIDC To 103.7

markow202 wrote:

Its funny, because they still go on and on about the condos and their signal downtown 

The .zip wouldn't open on our iPad yesterday when I went looking for the latest application and any possible available comments. It opened easily this morning on one of our PCs. In the meantime, I made do looking at the previous CRTC decisions re CIDC, which didn't change my mind on this issue but the final outcome may require a bunch of English on the old cue ball.

This IS an Orangeville signal and under the current circumstances, it should remain so. Dufferin was NOT given a Toronto license. They've (Evanovs) done everything in their power to make it look like it is, but nothing's official. Yet.

The CRTC, because it allowed them to get away with it, is now between a rock and a hard place.

If they rule that CIDC should go back where it came from, it's going to complicate things for the now-existing community stations, which have not been happy with that in recent interventions. Can't blame them.

If the CRTC bows to this current flip, there will be major players who will demand to know why someone is being granted a *new* Toronto license unopposed.

Personally, I'd tell Dufferin no, you'll have to live with what you've got, don't forget you're an Orangeville station and all that goes with it. You've been lucky to get this far. Be careful what you wish for.

May 15, 2018 6:58 pm  #32

Irvine wrote:

And really, why should the commission tell a station what market they can sell advertising in?  If there are 40,000 listeners to Z103 in KW why not sell ads here?  If the local stations protest, well amp it up and work a little harder. 

Actually, another note about that, the CRTC is only dictating that ads must be local for things like Joe's garage. There is no actual law preventing an overdose of "Tide gets your clothes clean..." etc.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 16, 2018 9:42 am  #33

Irvine wrote:

As for the CRTC "bowing" to get a new license to Toronto, that's nothing more than trolling on your behalf Mike Marshall.    

Mike Marshall is a friend of mine.   Mike is not a troll.    I should know.    I'm a troll.

geo

May 16, 2018 12:25 pm  #34

Irvine wrote:

The CRTC is in a rock and a hard place because CIDC has been a "Toronto" area station since 1995.  You can't show up at some guys business after 22 years and say "breach".  Hell, any good lawyer would send that one down in flames. 

Personally I think the hate on for Evanov is specific to the industry and this forum.  As long as I've read this forum (since 2002) Evanov has always been a target of posters here.  Digs at the focus on Italian culture in the original days. Digs at the salaries at the station (supposedly).  Digs at Evanov himself.  Yet strangely he's got the most stable staff in *all* of the industry. 

As for the CRTC "bowing" to get a new license to Toronto, that's nothing more than trolling on your behalf Mike Marshall.  Z103 has been booming into Toronto & playing live at the clubs there since 1994-5.  It IS a GTA radio station plain and simple.  Just because some civil servant feels it's not doesn't change that.  And my guess is not one single listener cares that they identify from Orangeville either. 

Id have to say thats point on Irvine.  Id also have to say no other station out there brought me to so many fun events, clubs in the younger years and the Summer Rush concerts as they were the ONLY ones who dared to play Eurodance music.  Would be a shame to see something happen to them.  Also gotta give credit to Evanov, he could have sold it all to Bell or whoever and watch it go down in flames, however I still cant see this being approved.  Their application was copy/pasted mostly from the last 3 previous attempts consisting of lots of condos and poor signal in downtown T.O all of which was denied. 

Its all a waste of time.  I dont know of anyone including myself who would get my radio out, pull the antenna up and tune into a station like I did before.  With bluetooth and wifi always connected to some device if I want to hear radio ill stream it.   This goes also for toronto stations with a great signal!    Car is a different story, and their signal isnt THAT bad in cars but again, not great for downtown (mono sounding).

Last edited by markow202 (May 16, 2018 12:35 pm)

May 16, 2018 12:38 pm  #35

markow202 wrote:

Id have to say thats point on Irvine. 

Good. If it's point on, then Evanov group should not have cried foul when My FM launched an actual Orangeville radio station to serve Orangeville properly. 

May 16, 2018 3:48 pm  #36

Thanks, geo and Tim. We were out the door very early today,so just got to this. Tim, things are good. Thank you for asking.

Look, this thread really doesn't have anything to do with the music the station plays (the montages didn't help), any awards it won, the stability of staff, etc. CIDC is an Orangeville (legally) signal attempting to extend it to pretty well cover the Toronto market. Nothing personal on my part, but I don't think DCI should get it.

One further thought: If the CRTC gives them this, can you imagine how much more the license would be worth?

May 16, 2018 11:00 pm  #37

Irvine wrote:

Imagine you bought a house in 1994. The house came with a pool.  You lived in that house for 22 years & then some "Commission" guy comes along and says "you can't have that pool, you're not allowed in this area of town".  You'd reply "well I've had it for 22 years".  That's exactly the situation with Z103.5.

Not really. City Council isn't deleting the pool. It's just saying you can't tear it up and replace it with a much bigger pool. City bylaws and all that. And while you're at it, you should be paying more attention to your front yard or the neighbours will talk.

May 16, 2018 11:47 pm  #38

Irvine wrote:

@RadioWiz.  Debunking your statement
-.  Any radio station owner is going to petition against incoming competition regardless. I saw a situation in BC where big radio petitioned against a small community station. 
-   Z did nothing illegal by petitioning against My FM.  The process the CRTC creates ENCOURAGES this so they went ahead and did it. 

Nobody in Toronto is going to go all the way out to Orangeville to shop & Vice versa. Simple as that.
I never said that Evanov was doing anything illegal.
I'm saying abandonment is abandonment. 
My FM is not doing anything illegal serving Orangeville properly either. They were given a broadcast licence because Evanov group failed to serve Orangeville properly.

Serve your place of licence properly or accept the consequences when the time comes.
Evanov is very lucky MY FM (or anyone) didn't choose to go after a broadcast licence for Orangeville a lot sooner.
& It's another little guy too, so you can't say that CRTC is just playing favourites to the big guys in doing so.

June 15, 2018 3:14 pm  #39

I've been interested in watching the wrestling between Evanov Group and CRTC.
CRTC has insisted that CIDC-FM should restrict its service to Orangeville area, while Evanov attempts to strengthen its signal in downtown Toronto area and vicinities, making it a de facto Toronto station.

First of all,the backup plan is way more sensible on technical grounds, compared to the one last year which the proposed new 103.7 signal on FCP severely interferes
with CFBU FM across the lake.

Furthermore, what they attempt this time is to minimize the interference between CIDC and CIRR,by directing CIDC's signal northwest into Dufferin County,thus living up its name to an Orangeville station. So it should be a yes in terms of technical parameters.

If CRTC approves Evanov's application this time. They will certainly move Z103.5 to the top of FCP, while Pride FM still can remain as HD2 channel.As of 103.7,they might possibly turn it into Jewel 103.7,in line with most Jewel brandings in Ontario small-sized markets.

Still,I hope the Evanov's can get what they want this time.Instead of a distant signal from Orangeville,a lot of listeners would want a stronger signal of Z103.5. While CIDC-FM can be a true,local service
to Orangeville listeners.

July 9, 2018 12:46 pm  #40

Any update on this?  I don't see anything yet running a google search.  They have so many similar applications 

July 9, 2018 12:50 pm  #41

couple of months before a decision, at least.

July 9, 2018 11:35 pm  #42

I guess the decision of CIDC and CIRR joint application will release around November 2018, considering the last result being released after seven months of Sept 2017. Considering Tim Brown 2016’s opinion, it might be possible that CRTC rejects Evanov application due to both station’s strong power signal increase. However, I see the situation in a different way. CIND-FM has already had a 4kW modest signal from FCP, that could be sufficiently covering most of the towns around Toronto, even Oakville. CFXJ-FM (The Move) has only 3.706kW, yet they didn’t even request any power increase. Therefore it’s certain that CRTC will deny CIND’s application. However CIDC and CIRR’s application are quite sensible upon CRTC’s request. CRTC has long insisted that CIDC (Z103.5) should be a de facto Orangeville station, and refrains from serving the whole GTA, while CIRR has struggled to get out of downtown Toronto. Their most recent application has satisfied the needs of CRTC, by directing CIDC’s signal back to Orangeville, and reformatting it to a local-oriented station, similar to my FM. While the most profitable station of the whole company (Z103.5), can broadcast from the core of Toronto, and Proud FM’s signal can be moved to HD2. The only issue might be first-adjcaency of both frequency,103.5 and 103.7MHz, however they can use high-pass filter to solve the technical problem. I hope CRTC can approve the Evanov’s applicaton this time, considering their multiple attempts in the last couple years.

July 10, 2018 12:38 pm  #43

A little off topic but not so much as it has to do with Evanov radio anyways.  They have a nice big new tower for a barely audible horrible signal AM530 out in Milton area.  You can see this tower from quite far away. Im guessing this was build in attempt to their previous application to put the 103 signal on it which was denied aswell.   This was actually a better idea that the current one.  Maybe CRTC will just give up and pass it thru...

November 2, 2018 6:30 pm  #44

Any word on this yet? its almost Christmas.

November 9, 2018 2:33 pm  #45

markow202 wrote:

Any word on this yet? its almost Christmas.

There doesn't seem to be any current information regarding this. Perhaps it's something that gets held off until early in the new year?

May 14, 2019 2:20 pm  #46

Still no confirm updates on this but appears to be declined?
I also noticed something interesting now - they are constantly saying CIDC FM Orangeville in between music 

May 14, 2019 3:20 pm  #47

Happy anniversary Bill and Carmela!!!!!
We have just passed the first anniversary of the last time the CRTC published Evanov's (Dufferin) application to "switch" stations/frequencies.   Not a good sign when the CRTC delays a decision by a year.   We are hearing the decision will be out by sometime in June.   Likely the Indie88.1 re-try for a power increase from the same rooftop at First Canadian Place will be issued around the same time.

Expect a fairly long decision - justifying whatever conclusion the CRTC reaches.  The decision is likely held up these days in "French translation".   Yup, even English language applications sit in a pile in the French translation department.   Often they are "bumped" for more "urgent" translation - such as the Bell vs TVA sports decision.

A great use of our tax dollars.

Last edited by tvguy (May 14, 2019 3:21 pm)

May 14, 2019 3:22 pm  #48

markow202 wrote:

Still no confirm updates on this but appears to be declined?
I also noticed something interesting now - they are constantly saying CIDC FM Orangeville in between music 

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode...where George Costanza says to Jerry:

"if you say it often enough, it isn't a lie".

(apologies to the Seinfeld writers - but you get George's point).

May 14, 2019 6:55 pm  #49

I haven’t seen applications similar to CIDC & CIRR that takes such a long time for CRTC to make a decision in a while. The French translation is plausibly a reason for the delay, but I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad sign for not being approved.

Maybe the reason that took CRTC so long is either constructing a very plausible reason for them to be approved, or vice versa. Yet I still hope their application will be approved by the authority, let’s see how CRTC deals with it around early or mid-June.

September 16, 2019 11:36 am  #50

Anyone know what ever became of this application? Been a long time.

September 16, 2019 1:01 pm  #51

Both applications CIRR-FM 2018-0285-1  and CIDC-FM 2018-0286-9  are on the CRTC Site as Closed Part 1 applications...that means active in the process and not withdrawn. The files are still awaiting a Commission decision. 

September 16, 2019 1:32 pm  #52

That is a long time wow. Stalling? 

September 16, 2019 6:19 pm  #53

If I were Evanov I'd offer CIUT a lot of cash to swap frequencies. The station was in serious debt a few years ago after their (now former) station manager allegedly embezzled over $150,000 and they'll likely lose much of their budget due to Ford's "student choice initiative" so I think they'd find a large infusion of cash for a frequency swap very tempting.

January 24, 2020 9:20 pm  #54

CRTC Decision to (finally) be released by next Friday at 11 am.Dufferin Communications Inc.
CIRR-FM Toronto and CIDC-FM Orangeville – Technical changes
Public record for these applications: 2018-0285-1 and 2018-0286-9 Decision relating to the following application announced in Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2019-225:

January 24, 2020 9:53 pm  #55

The amount of time they've sat on this is completely unfair to everyone involved.

January 25, 2020 7:48 pm  #56

Radiowiz wrote:

Pride FM is no more. Evanov group has switched CIRR to the ALL NEW PROUD FM effective immediately. 
Source:  http://proudfm.com/  

Hmmm. I wonder if this move has anything to do with what's happening at the CRTC in the coming week. After such a long delay, this is on the docket for the Commission sometime between next Monday and the following Friday.

From the CRTC website about anticipated broadcasting decisions:

Dufferin Communications Inc.
CIRR-FM Toronto and CIDC-FM Orangeville – Technical changes
Public record for these applications: 2018-0285-1 and 2018-0286-9 

Seems we may finally get an answer to this long running mystery. 

January 25, 2020 8:12 pm  #57

RadioActive wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Pride FM is no more. Evanov group has switched CIRR to the ALL NEW PROUD FM effective immediately. 
Source:  http://proudfm.com/  

Hmmm. I wonder if this move has anything to do with what's happening at the CRTC in the coming week.

It doesn't. Radiowiz used the term "effective immediately" for no good reason; the station has been Proud FM since launch. He's just making stuff up, as usual.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 25, 2020 8:20 pm)

January 25, 2020 8:31 pm  #58

Still, it will be interesting to see how the CRTC rules.

January 25, 2020 8:36 pm  #59

You're OK with him picking minor irrelevant errors, and correcting them as though it's new information that he's just presented? Because it happens a lot.

January 25, 2020 9:05 pm  #60

I do this part time and it's impossible to keep on top of everything that happens in this market, but what I find is that generally there is someone - like yourself - who will set the record straight if someone posts any incorrect info. (And some take great glee in doing so.) 

Still, it seems plausible there could be some changes at both Pride and Z103.5 if the CRTC says yes to their rather unusual proposal in the coming week. 

If this is that frequency switching decision, I personally hope the Commission says no. The Evanovs have been playing around the edges with their radio stations for a long time, always trying to find a way to get into the Toronto market, even while ignoring their area of licence. That doesn't deserve to be rewarded, but I do give them credit of sorts for coming up with such a novel idea.