sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2018 12:02 pm  #1

Hysterical, Historical (& Hysteria) Tone Marks Old Anti-Pay TV Ad

It's hard to believe now, but there were people who believed "pay TV" (aka cable) would be the ruination of regular broadcast television. (This was long before the Internet was even on the horizon, which really has done more than anything to threaten broadcast TV.) And they spent a small fortune for a nationally distributed ad in TV Guide on May 10, 1969 to warn people about this coming menace. 

The hysteria in the ad is laughable. "Pay TV would compel you and your family to subscribe and pay for the same type of TV programs you now receive on FREE TV without any charge."  

Real cable stations didn't come into existence for several years after this was published, so I have no idea what those behind this thing were talking about. But considering the number of cable stations in the U.S. is now so vast, this campaign is downright laughable. Although they clearly took it seriously back then. 

May 15, 2018 2:17 pm  #2

Re: Hysterical, Historical (& Hysteria) Tone Marks Old Anti-Pay TV Ad

Irvine wrote:

it's only threatened the broadcasters who seem unwilling to adapt to technology

Hmmm... sounds vaguely familiar. 

May 15, 2018 4:36 pm  #3

Re: Hysterical, Historical (& Hysteria) Tone Marks Old Anti-Pay TV Ad

Irvine wrote:

How they should see it:  I've the opportunity to do multiple roles at a station AND voice track in multiple markets from a central point.  Who wouldn't want to be a voice in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver versus just Toronto?  

BINGO!! THAT is the way the bitter Illuminati of the Yellow should think of it. THAT is the new reality. Your longevity depends on this mindset.

But instead?! "woe is me", "corporation are demonic evil", "they owe me...", etc. etc. etc. Playing victim and wanting the Waters family, along with rolling time back to 1957, seems to be the consensus here. Nothing wrong with that -- unless you actually want to work in the biz instead of b***hing about it.