sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2018 5:42 pm  #31

Re: Get Ready For Your TV, Radio - & Phones - To Be Interrupted May 7th

Dial Twister wrote:

today's alert was, it was unintelligible.

How can a WRITTEN TEXT (after all, that IS what this thread is about) be "unintelligible"? Seriously, it was in both official languages and written concisely. 

Last edited by cGrant (May 7, 2018 5:44 pm)

May 7, 2018 5:55 pm  #32

cGrant wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Was anyone actually talking to someone on their phone

You are showing your age... people don't actually use their phone for talking

Quit trolling this board please. I talk on my phone all the time. I'm not 18-24 but god damn I'm not 50 either.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 7, 2018 6:03 pm  #33

Radiowiz wrote:

cGrant wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Was anyone actually talking to someone on their phone

You are showing your age... people don't actually use their phone for talking

Quit trolling this board please. I talk on my phone all the time. I'm not 18-24 but god damn I'm not 50 either.

Perhaps, Madam, you failed to see the "laughing" emoji at the end of my post. That would indicate I was joking. (Perhaps, having to spell it out for you, ironically, proves my point, though) ---> here comes another emoji: 

May 7, 2018 8:20 pm  #34

Dial Twister wrote:

betaylored wrote:

...and it won't matter because whatever the message of today's alert was, it was unintelligible.

B. I. N. G. O.

Along with the marble-mouthed robotic voice, do you think the shrill discordant alarm sound should be retired, and an equally attention getting new alarm created? The familiar repetitive squawking noise everyone is only too familiar with, is pretty easy for most to disregard. ;)

Also, anyone know if the hearing impaired were taken into consideration during this test?

May 7, 2018 9:19 pm  #35

cGrant wrote:

Perhaps, Madam, you failed to see the "laughing" emoji at the end of my post. That would indicate I was joking. (Perhaps, having to spell it out for you, ironically, proves my point, though) ---> here comes another emoji: 

I'm a SIR and you are to address me as "Mr. Radio Wiz, sir" in the future.
You weren't funny btw. It was directly insulting. 

May 7, 2018 9:25 pm  #36

Radiowiz wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Ah, snowflake, I'm sorry. Offended your preciousness, I did. I never wrote I was funny: I wrote I was joking, as in a jest. If that insulted you, well, tough. Grow a pair.

(Again, ironically, your demeanor purely illustrates my point about age. Thanks for making it.)

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

May 7, 2018 11:36 pm  #37

cGrant wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Ah, snowflake, I'm sorry. Offended your preciousness, I did. I never wrote I was funny: I wrote I was joking, as in a jest. If that insulted you, well, tough. Grow a pair.

(Again, ironically, your demeanor purely illustrates my point about age. Thanks for making it.)

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You are not to call me snowfake. You are to call me SIR! DO YOU UNDERSTAND? 
You really shouldn't troll though. Shame.
I'm also younger than you think, but thanks for not calling me kid. 

May 8, 2018 6:22 am  #38

Did anyone else who received the alert have it come through via their Weather Network App? Rather odd I think. What if I didn't have this app loaded, or be set to auto update? I tried to upload two screen captures but failed in doing so.

Last edited by DeepTracks (May 8, 2018 6:24 am)

May 8, 2018 11:30 am  #39

DeepTracks wrote:

Did anyone else who received the alert have it come through via their Weather Network App? Rather odd I think. What if I didn't have this app loaded, or be set to auto update? I tried to upload two screen captures but failed in doing so.

With respect, you didn't actually "get" the Alert. Pelmorex, which operates The Weather Network, also operates the Alert Ready system.  They have always distributed the warnings via their weather app as a courtesy. As you had it already loaded on your phone, you received the warning. Now, had you also received it via the Cell Broadcast system, then you would have received the actual warning. It has been discovered that, in addition to Quebec, portions of Ontario's cells also failed the test.

May 8, 2018 1:47 pm  #40

Thanks. I may have received it via the Cell broadcast system, I don't know. At the time my phone was on 'hard' mute. A slide switch on the side of my iPhone 5 kills all sounds. Cheers!

May 8, 2018 2:24 pm  #41

sitting in a barrie waiting room yesterday, got nothing on my phone, or the 6 people also waiting.

cbc news was on the tv.  they did a live remote with a bunch of millennials all staring at their phones in anticipation.  no sound, but the disappointment was palpable on that broadcast.  ironically, just after that report, the emergency notice appeared on the tv.... for over 5 minutes.

May 8, 2018 10:40 pm  #42

splunge wrote:

ironically, just after that report, the emergency notice appeared on the tv.... for over 5 minutes.

When at home, just press the exit button on your remote. In a hospital or doctor's office, the TV out in the open might not have a remote or an exit option though.

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 8, 2018 10:41 pm)

May 9, 2018 8:08 pm  #43

Wednesday was the day for the tests in the rest of Canada. According to what I've read, just like in this province, almost all of them failed miserably when it came to cell phones. TV and radio seemed to work without a problem.

By the way, barring any real emergencies, the next scheduled test for Ontario comes on September 19th at 10:55 AM. Maybe they'll get it right by then.

May 9, 2018 8:45 pm  #44

Was in Quebec for the test (we did a tour of the Gaspé Peninsula) and was somewhere around Trois Rivières at the time. Nothing whatsoever came through on my iPhone 5S. Friends in Montreal report one test success and one non. I have no idea whether iPhone 5S is too "old" for the alerts.

Didn't pay too much attention to radio while there - when the test was going on we were probably walking about the town...

On a radio note, visited CHNC FM in New Carlisle QC, where Réné Levesque worked (when it was AM) as a journalist before entering politics. Also noted an obviously unauthorized station on 87.9 while returning home in the car near Cornwall-Akwesasne, playing Aboriginal music (mostly drumming and vocals). Signal carried for quite awhile; I'd guess maybe 50-100 watts. The now-licenced CKON 97.3 started out there as a pirate many years ago.

May 10, 2018 8:09 am  #45

I have an iPhone 5S, and as I noted in an earlier post, I had the alert come in via the installed Weather Network app.

My phone was muted at the time,via the side slide switch, so I don't know if there was any warning sound.

"cGrant" responded,quote- "With respect, you didn't actually "get" the Alert. Pelmorex, which operates The Weather Network, also operates the Alert Ready system.  They have always distributed the warnings via their weather app as a courtesy. As you had it already loaded on your phone, you received the warning. Now, had you also received it via the Cell Broadcast system, then you would have received the actual warning. It has been discovered that, in addition to Quebec, portions of Ontario's cells also failed the test."end quote.

t looks like in your case the test just outright failed.

Last edited by DeepTracks (May 10, 2018 8:11 am)

May 14, 2018 12:09 pm  #46

An Amber Alert went out over Toronto radio and TV stations just after the noon hour Monday, warning about a missing and possibly abducted child. It comes just days after the first test of the emergency system was mostly a complete bust on a majority of cell phones. Did anyone's cell get this one?

May 14, 2018 12:33 pm  #47

got it twice aprox 30 mins apart. second oen was in french

May 14, 2018 12:37 pm  #48

Got it. Though I think if I get amber alerts every time a child custody case goes awry hundreds of miles away I'll stop paying attention.

I didn't get the test while in Quebec on May 7. I use an iPhone 5s ...

May 14, 2018 12:43 pm  #49

Saul wrote:

I think if I get amber alerts every time a child custody case goes awry hundreds of miles away I'll stop paying attention.

EXACTLY! While I support Amber Alerts, there should be a different alerting tone vis-a-vie a difference between "breaking" news and "developing" news.

As an aside, Pelmorex must strongly believe in time travel, as this was a province-wide alert. I guess it's "possible" for an 8-year old kid to disappear in THUNDER BAY and minutes/seconds appear in Toronto?  Can they not localize more than this?

May 14, 2018 1:45 pm  #50

Just got a second alert, that the child has been found. In the first case I had the phone set to vibrate, which it did, pinging maybe ten times but quite softly so that it wouldn't disturb anyone. For the second alert I had it to 'sound' (because I was expecting a call and was alone at the time) and I got the type of sound you hear on the radio. The "Waah, waah, waah" seemed to go on ad infinitum and was truly distracting.

I wonder if this will change user behaviour. Damned if I'll ever go out anywhere in public without setting it to vibrate; and in some cases turning it right off (because at some quieter events like classical concerts or talks you can hear a phone vibrate). The audio is way louder and more abrasive than any ring tone...

May 14, 2018 1:47 pm  #51

one more alert , now amber alert cancelled, child found. soon another one in French. FFS imagine this at 2 am , 4 alerts within 3 hours for a child missing 700 km away

May 14, 2018 2:44 pm  #52

At least 3 alerts today.  Once while driving - so I glanced over and the alert disappeared - vaporized before I could read it.  A 2nd alert about a missing kid, apparently nowhere near where I was.  Before I could read the entire alert, it vanished from my iphone.   3rd alert rescinded alerts #1 and 2.
Is this how it's going to be, bombarded by alerts for missing kids,  (in Thunder Bay) who might actually not be missing???  This is the old "cry wolf"  My spouse's iphone (same carrier) did not sound the alert even once.  

I suspect if I was in a meeting this would have disturbed everyone, because it was loud enough to wake the dead.

Someone noted that the alert came through if you have the weather network app on the phone.  I don't seem to.  I have The (US) Weather Channel (not related), The "Weather Office"  and Accuweather.  Anyone know if those triggered my phone's alarm 'cause I'll remove them ASAP.

What a great system eh????

Last edited by tvguy (May 14, 2018 2:49 pm)

May 14, 2018 3:53 pm  #53

tvguy wrote:

Someone noted that the alert came through if you have the weather network app on the phone.  I don't seem to.  I have The (US) Weather Channel (not related), The "Weather Office"  and Accuweather.  Anyone know if those triggered my phone's alarm 'cause I'll remove them ASAP.

No, none of those weather apps are owned by Pelmorex. Only Pelmorex owned The Weather Network piggybacks the alerts. Frankly, if you live in Canada, I don't see a need for foreign-generated apps as the data tends to be very delayed.

For those with older model phone that do not support Cell Broadcasts, consider this free app: https://peasi.com/products/

May 14, 2018 3:54 pm  #54

To be honest I don't think the amber alerts should happen on phones. At least when they apply to custody disputes. If a child is truly abducted and the police have reason to believe alerts are relevant to a particular area, I'm more amenable. But these things are dealing with custody disputes - this was clear from the message that went out earlier today because it indicated who was wanted. I hope there's a strong backlash. In the meantime, when I am out my phone is on vibrate or off. If there is any way to remove such an option, I'm game, unless this system is made exclusively for public safety and targeted carefully on geographic basis. There's also the cry-wolf scenario - at some point people will have tuned out when it really matters. My opinion as to their applicability to radio and TV - there I don't mind amber alerts or whatever...

Last edited by Saul (May 14, 2018 3:55 pm)

May 14, 2018 4:29 pm  #55

Let me be brutally blunt (why start now).....

The way some of the Illuminati on this board are reacting to this, proves, without a shadow of a doubt, what I've been writing here for a while. Some of you simply cannot adopt to progress. Period. The reason most here are no longer in the radio biz is the refusal to transform oneself from a single-station live jock, to a multi-station (cluster) live, voicetraking, social media embracing, multitasker type.

Look, if a simple cell phone vibration or text blows you up into a tight-fisted rage, then technology is not for you, ergo TODAY'S radio biz is not for you.

Yes, I agree, there should be, perhaps, different tones for a variety of emergency situations, and more geofencing of the cell alert, but that is in the fine-tuning.

May 14, 2018 5:06 pm  #56

I was in the break room at work when it happened. I could hear my co-workers cell phones all going off in their lockers. However, mine did not. My phone did not get the test alert last week, or today's Amber Alert. A co-worker was on her phone, I asked if she also got the alert, she did (but didn't read it, she thought it was another test).

Maybe my phone is just old.

May 14, 2018 5:18 pm  #57

Brad wrote:

mine did not. My phone did not get the test alert last week, or today's Amber Alert.Maybe my phone is just old.

As I wrote here multiple times, if you download The Weather Network app, the messages will piggyback there.  You can also download the Alertable app for free: https://peasi.com/products/

You can also check to see the status of your phone here: https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/

May 14, 2018 5:57 pm  #58

RadioActive wrote:

An Amber Alert went out over Toronto radio and TV stations just after the noon hour Monday, warning about a missing and possibly abducted child. It comes just days after the first test of the emergency system was mostly a complete bust on a majority of cell phones. Did anyone's cell get this one?

I know by now that chatr doesn't support my Moto phone, when it comes to alerts, but I did see and RT the amber alert today on Twitter, so Twitter, and my radio will have to be my alert system, as will be the case for a good number of people.

And, a positive side benefit: no marble garble unreasonable imitation of a human voice to have to listen to, and try to decipher.😁

May 14, 2018 6:16 pm  #59

betaylored wrote:

I did see and RT the amber alert today on Twitter, so Twitter, and my radio will have to be my alert system, as will be the case for a good number of people.

Huh? What do you mean (my bolding of your above text.)

Beyond that, WHY WOULD YOU RE-TWEET (RT) AN AMBER ALERT? Firstly, everyone else probably got it. Secondly, the issue was in Thunder Bay! 

May 15, 2018 11:26 am  #60

Thanks for the suggestion cGrant. I've downloaded the Weather Network app. Rogers owns chatr, so I have no idea why they don't support the alerts on all types of cellphones.

With regards to using Twitter as a way to track emergency situations, I find Twitter is geographically specific enough to bring urgent and or life threatening situations to the public, in a way that these general alerts have yet to master. The Friday wind storm several weeks ago was a good example, with the Twitter accounts of the police, hydro, fire dept. updating the public, and people tweeting about their power outages. All the tweeted pictures of trees lying across cars brought the severity of the weather home.

Matt Guerney, Steve Dangle, lots of radio people RT missing persons alerts trying to be helpful. I won't debate the wisdom of it, people need to do what works for them.😀