sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2018 11:47 am  #1

Beer ads on radio can only mean one thing...

....that the long weekend is in sight.

Beer ads are popping up on radio, like a light at the end of a long tunnel.

I'd have listeners tell me that if they were having a crappy day, a beer ad on the radio, even if it wasn't their brand, even if they didn't drink the stuff, cheered the hell out of them because they knew their long weekend was ahead. And every beer ad they heard, they knew their weekend was getting closer.

The May 'two-fur' weekend, beery good for radio advertising, maybe not so good if you're in radio working on that weekend thou...

May 12, 2018 4:25 am  #2

Re: Beer ads on radio can only mean one thing...

betaylored wrote:

I'd have listeners tell me that if they were having a crappy day, a beer ad on the radio, even if it wasn't their brand, even if they didn't drink the stuff, cheered the hell out of them because they knew their long weekend was ahead. And every beer ad they heard, they knew their weekend was getting closer.

The May 'two-fur' weekend, beery good for radio advertising, maybe not so good if you're in radio working on that weekend thou...

...with that should also come the PSA's. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 13, 2018 6:22 am  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

betaylored wrote:

...with that should also come the PSA's. 

Definitely true Radiowiz, along with the reminders from various agencies like the Red Cross, and R.L.S.S. to wear a PFD, or lifejacket if you're going to be on or around the water during the weekend, or to at least put one on your child for Pete's sake.

And sadly/tragically after the long weekend, all the 1010, 640, and 680 reporters will have  the news stories for us of the drunk drivers, and those unfortunate people who drowned because they thought their lifejacket made a great seat cushion in their boat or canoe.

The long weekend is S'mores or less a combination of happy/not so happy traditions.

Last edited by betaylored (May 13, 2018 6:36 am)

May 13, 2018 11:53 am  #4

Irvine wrote:

Imagining that an impaired driving PSA is going to stop an impaired driver is like telling a KKK member that black people really aren't that bad.  There is no amount of logic or reason that's going to change their mind.  If we were really interested in stopping impaired driving wouldn't we just put spot checks outside bars & ignition interlocks in all new cars?

First of all, WELCOME BACK IRVINE! <3 How is your health? You were well-missed here!

Ah, but our society's social engineers want to believe they can cover the universe with their protective blanket and take care of us snowflakes from cradle to grave. Newsflash: THEY CAN'T.

When I drink, I drink to get drunk. Borderline alcohol-poisoning drunk. The last thing on my loopy mind is a seatbelt or driving safely. Hell, 93% of the time, I swear I'm driving backwards on the sidewalk at 120km/h, steering with my knees. I've taken out more mailboxes, parking meters, sandwich boards, raccoons and sleeping homeless bums than I can possibly even fathom.

Fact is, it's not even noon and I'm on my second. The reason? Mother's Day. I hate this fake holiday more than a grown Altar Boy going thru therapy.