sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2018 7:10 am  #1

Murray Westgate . . .

Turned 100 years old on Monday (funny thing, I expected Uncle Fester and Old Codger to jump in on this one, maybe they're still at Murray's party)

Last edited by Kilgore (April 22, 2018 12:06 pm)

April 22, 2018 4:02 pm  #2

Re: Murray Westgate . . .

Too busy putting all of my old hockey coins back into those plastic 'plaques' you had to pick up at ESSO.  Good ol' Murray.  100?  Old enough to be my Dad.  I know 3 different guys in their 90s.  Golf with one of 'em.  But 100?  Now that's gettin' UP there.  Maybe life begins at 75...even 80?  I hope to find out... ... ...someday.

Happy motoring!

April 22, 2018 5:39 pm  #3

The Star did an article on Westgate's milestone a week ago 

Hockey Night in Canada’s original TV pitchman turns 100

April 22, 2018 7:21 pm  #4

My first memory of Murray Westgate was as host of Junior Roundup.  Then, of course, hockey...

April 22, 2018 8:18 pm  #5

I remember Mr. Westgate very well.

Congrats on his 100th B-day.

I had a great grandmother who lived to be 103 - had the opportunity to know her.

People get freaked out when I tell them she was born in 1865.

Speaking of 1865 & getting back to Mr. Westgate -- on his recommendation I once put a tiger in my tank.

S.O.B. ate my muffler...

April 22, 2018 9:26 pm  #6

unclefester wrote:

S.O.B. ate my muffler...

Don't you mean Esso B?

April 22, 2018 10:58 pm  #7

unclefester wrote:

I had a great grandmother who lived to be 103 - had the opportunity to know her.

That is impressive. I had a great-grandfather who died in 1880. I sometimes have to explain that it's because of second and third marriages involving back-to-back generations.

April 22, 2018 11:25 pm  #8

Lorne wrote:

unclefester wrote:

That is impressive. I had a great-grandfather who died in 1880. I sometimes have to explain that it's because of second and third marriages involving back-to-back generations.

Great grandfather died in 1880 -- that DOES sound hard to do - any idea how old he was?

I've asked around online etc.to see if anyone has ever met someone born earlier than 1865 - no takers yet...

But I'm sure there are more than a few...

April 22, 2018 11:25 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

unclefester wrote:

S.O.B. ate my muffler...

Don't you mean Esso B?

....ahem.....

April 23, 2018 12:22 pm  #10

unclefester wrote:

Great grandfather died in 1880 -- that DOES sound hard to do - any idea how old he was?

We don't know for sure because he deliberately obscured his true name and origins, but according to what was passed down through the family he was born in 1817. If that was the case, he would have been 62 when he died. But what makes the situation so unusual is that not only would he have been 53 when my grandfather was born, but my grandfather was definitely 53 when my father was born. 

April 25, 2018 1:49 pm  #11

Chuck99 wrote:

many people thought he actually worked for Imperial Oil.

He did (indirectly), no?

April 25, 2018 4:05 pm  #12

Chuck99 wrote:

many didn't realize he was an actor and thought he actually ran his own service station. 

Well, then, I'd say that was a successful ad campaign.

May 3, 2018 8:53 am  #13

Westgate would make an excellent guest on one of the better AM 740 programs, for example Gene Stevens' Sunday afternoon show.     He (Westgate, not Stevens) is in Sunnybrook Veterans Centre