sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2018 10:50 pm  #1

Wed May 2nd still the McHappiest Day for radio hosts?

Now that technology has made it possible for listeners to interact with radio personalities, the thrill of going to a McDonald's on McHappy Day to see what each voice looks like, so to speak* and say hello is definitely different.

Last year I think several talk radio hosts mentioned they were supporting McHappy Day, and appearing at a couple of local locations. I must have missed the on-air discussions this year leading up to McHappy Day..

There's still something to be said for meeting listeners, and supporting a worthy effort, but manning the Big Mac special sauce gun, asking someone if they'd like fries with that, and being a public presence at various local events seems, at best, an uneven priority for radio stations in general, with the exception of fundraising for medical/mental health initiatives, the occasional sporting event, or if a music station is presenting a band.

*"you don't look like your voice"
"I thought you were a hot blonde"
"you're shorter than I thought'
"boy you're tall"
"you're a redhead in real life!?!"

Last edited by betaylored (May 1, 2018 11:27 pm)

May 1, 2018 11:33 pm  #2

Re: Wed May 2nd still the McHappiest Day for radio hosts?

betaylored wrote:

Now that technology has made it possible for listeners to interact with radio personalities, the thrill of going to a McDonald's on McHappy Day to see what each voice looks like, so to speak* and say hello is definitely different.

Last year I think several talk radio hosts mentioned they were supporting McHappy Day, and appearing at a couple of local locations. I must have missed the on-air discussions this year leading up to McHappy Day..

There's still something to be said for meeting listeners, and supporting a worthy effort, but manning the Big Mac special sauce gun, asking someone if they'd like fries with that, and being a public presence at various events seems, at best, an uneven priority for radio stations in general, with the exception of the occasional sporting event, or if a music station is presenting a band.

*"you don't look like your voice"
"I thought you were a hot blonde"
"you're shorter than I thought'
"boy you're tall"
"you're a redhead in real life!?!"

Still surprised that businesses still go for these remotes. They are sparsely attended, even if you are a big name in the industry. You will get hardcore P1s that turn up, but not many faces beyond that. I'm not blaming the talent that is assigned to these remotes, just stating a fact.

I remember seeing a CHFI pop-up in the North York IKEA (aka 8th Circle of Hell) entrance last year. A dozen CHFI interns in a circle around the on-air personality (not sure who it was that day). I had to wait at the entrance for a good 30 minutes for family to arrive, and during that entire time, I didn't see a single soul approach the group.

I hear many tales from you older folk about the fun that was had at radio station events, back in The Greatest Generation. Sounds like some good times were had.

May 2, 2018 7:41 am  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

Back in my day, when I used to do remotes, I had people lining up one and two deep to meet myself and other on air staff.

Many listeners were impressed with my imposing physical stature 

That's why you are indeed the "BIG" Cheese sir.

May 2, 2018 7:41 pm  #4

ONEIL wrote:

I only did one McHappy day...and it was less than stellar...
Can I cook the burgers..NO
Can I add the cheese....NO
Can I run the register.....NO
Can I make the shakes..NO

What Can I do....stand there and look pretty....

It was a McFailure...

I found during the three M.H.D. events that I did, the management either mildly resented having us there, like it sounds like you experienced ONEIL, and were less than helpful, or else they fan-girled all over the place.

The cranky ones thought we made lots of money (so wrong) and didn't really have to work for a living. The others wanted to be best buds and hoped for free station merch and concert tickets that were only to be handed out to the listeners.

I always asked for the special sauce gun. It kept you within sight of the customers so you could wave hello, without having to chat.