sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2018 12:12 pm  #1

Get Ready For Your TV, Radio - & Phones - To Be Interrupted May 7th

The CRTC has ordered a test of the Emergency Alert System, which effectively takes over every radio and TV station during an urgent unfolding disaster. crime or attack. And for the first time, it will affect almost every cell phone in Canada.

The Commission notes the one that hits your phone may require more than just your attention. "Canadians may be required to acknowledge receipt of the emergency alert in order to allow for their wireless device to resume normal functioning. In the event that they cannot acknowledge the alert, the alert sound and vibration will continue for 8 seconds."

The test will be held on different days across the country, with Ontario's turn coming first, on May 7th, which is next Monday. It's scheduled for 1:55 PM.

CRTC test announcement and schedule

April 30, 2018 1:29 pm  #2

Re: Get Ready For Your TV, Radio - & Phones - To Be Interrupted May 7th

Is it not possible to simply turn off my phone at 1:55 on may 7th, for 5 minutes, and avoid this lunacy?

April 30, 2018 1:45 pm  #3

splunge wrote:

Is it not possible to simply turn off my phone at 1:55 on may 7th, for 5 minutes, and avoid this lunacy?

When, the Alert system could ultimately benefit you in an emergency. But if ONE text event is "lunacy", then by all means.

-signed, First World Problems

April 30, 2018 3:51 pm  #4

Once again, Canada is way behind the U.S. Anyone who grew up in the 60s will certainly remember those infamous tests of EBS - the Emergency Broadcast System. There would be a test pattern or some kind of slide on the screen, with a serious-voiced announcer warning, "This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an actual emergency, you would have been instructed where to tune in your area for news and official information. This is only a test."

That would be followed by some killer hertz tone for 30 secs, followed by a similar reminder that it's only a test. Depending on your age at the time, it might have scared the hell out of you. That was, what, 40 years ago? And Canada is only getting around to doing this now (and complaining about it!)

It's certainly not the first time we've been way behind the folks to the South. They had colour TV as far back as the middle 50s. We didn't officially get colour on our screens until 1967! (I well remember that note in the old TV Guides that read "Canadian stations do not colourcast.")

Independent cable stations became a big deal in the U.S. by the end of the 70s. Similar stations didn't get licensed here until 1983.

The U.S. went all digital between February and June 2009. We didn't make the complete jump north of the border until August 2011. 

I'm not sure why we're always so far behind the Americans on this stuff, but it appears it was ever thus. 

That concludes this post of the SOWNY Broadcasting System. If this had been an actual posting, you would have been instructed where to link for further information. This is only a test.

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... 

April 30, 2018 5:47 pm  #5

What about the subject of this thread? The U.S. had the Wireless Emergency Alerts, formerly known as the Commercial Mobile Alert System, and prior to that as the Personal Localized Alerting Network since 2012.

April 30, 2018 11:48 pm  #6

cGrant wrote:

What about the subject of this thread? The U.S. had the Wireless Emergency Alerts, formerly known as the Commercial Mobile Alert System, and prior to that as the Personal Localized Alerting Network since 2012.

Be alert. (the world needs more lerts) 😉

May 1, 2018 8:03 am  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

I don't rely on the government to tell me what an emergency is.

Mr. Cheese, your failure to adhere to the government's master plan is an emergency unto itself. Text message to arrive shortly.

Last edited by Fjiri (May 1, 2018 8:03 am)

May 1, 2018 11:14 am  #8

What happens if you're actually on the phone when the alert starts? Do you get cut off, is the call interrupted? Or does it just make a noise alerting you that your attention is needed? Is this thing that intrusive that it would stop the phone from working normally for the duration of the alert?

May 1, 2018 11:35 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Independent cable stations became a big deal in the U.S. by the end of the 70s. Similar stations didn't get licensed here until 1983.

Actually, we had a cable station in Stoney Creek in the late 70s.  I remember black and white telecasts of the Flag Day parade through Niagara Co-Ax (I think that's the name).  So there was some cable and independent cable stations by the 70s.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 1, 2018 3:41 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

What happens if you're actually on the phone when the alert starts? Do you get cut off, is the call interrupted? Or does it just make a noise alerting you that your attention is needed? Is this thing that intrusive that it would stop the phone from working normally for the duration of the alert?

Good questions all RA.

And what if you have your phone on mute, with the vibrate feature off. I have a Moto G phone, and I'm with chatr. I checked the company website. Moto phones aren't listed as one of the phone brands to receive emergency alerts under the chatr umbrella of coverage.

Guess we can find out next Monday. Oddly unsettling that the whole rollout leaves so many questions beforehand. A bit of a half-arsed execution as the English would say.

May 1, 2018 5:06 pm  #11

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Good questions all RA.

And what if you have your phone on mute, with the vibrate feature off. I have a Moto G phone, and I'm with chatr. I checked the company website. Moto phones aren't listed as one of the phone brands to receive emergency alerts under the chatr umbrella of coverage.

Guess we can find out next Monday. Oddly unsettling that the whole rollout leaves so many questions beforehand. A bit of a half-arsed execution as the English would say.

Firstly, name me ONE rollout that was perfect with absolutely no outstanding questions. Just. One.

Second, not all mobiles are supported. Check your carrier's website for compatibility.

Finally, carrier's CAN override mute or suppression settings on your mobile. Think of the ever-handy "find my mobile" op. It will ring and vib loudly to let you find your phone. Obviously, that overrides suppression settings.

And, p.s.: why is there so much undeserved vitriol about this? It could save your life or the life of a loved one.

May 1, 2018 5:13 pm  #12

cGrant wrote:

And, p.s.: why is there so much undeserved vitriol about this? It could save your life or the life of a loved one.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Oh, and if my uncle had tits, he "could" have been my aunt.

May 1, 2018 5:34 pm  #13

Dial Twister wrote:

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Good to know about your uncle.

Now, in detail, please explain how this alert system represents "the road to hell" for you.

May 1, 2018 7:29 pm  #14

cGrant wrote:

Firstly, name me ONE rollout that was perfect with absolutely no outstanding questions. Just. One.

Second, not all mobiles are supported. Check your carrier's website for compatibility.

Finally, carrier's CAN override mute or suppression settings on your mobile. Think of the ever-handy "find my mobile" op. It will ring and vib loudly to let you find your phone. Obviously, that overrides suppression settings.

Your second point about not all mobiles being supported, along with the other gaps could explain the questions in this thread. Life and death alerts require a high performance standard (see: false incoming missile alert in Hawaii several months ago) and if not, better communication of the current limitations, exceedingly crucial when it comes to saving lives, and reducing the number of casualties.

Last edited by betaylored (May 1, 2018 7:38 pm)

May 1, 2018 8:10 pm  #15

betaylored wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Your second point about not all mobiles being supported, along with the other gaps could explain the questions in this thread. Life and death alerts require a high performance standard (see: false incoming missile alert in Hawaii several months ago) and if not, better communication of the current limitations, exceedingly crucial when it comes to saving lives, and reducing the number of casualties.

Look, the bottom line is this: if you have an old phone, chances are, the tech is not supported. That's on you.

And, there will always be false positives, but if you live your life, believing your a victim and hard done by, then, that too, is on you. The paranoia on this board is incredible. As my Catholic priest used to say, "drop them drawers and grow a pair".

May 1, 2018 10:57 pm  #16

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Good questions all RA.

Let's just hope Pelmorex isn't at the helm of this anno.... aw shite.... nevermind.

When they were only interrupting radio and TV on a provincial scale a few years back, it was great fun trying to decipher the pig latin the came spewing forth. Especially when it was warning residents in downtown Toronto about strong winds whipping around in a three-hut village located a half day's drive outside of the city!

Or the fact that Pelmorex often breaks into radio and TV feeds with news of a story that many of those outlets are actually covering! The last big mishap in that case was a year ago, when a young child was inadvertently taken hostage during a carjacking. The story was covered by radio and TV outlets throughout the GTA all morning long.

If memory serves correctly, it wasn't until 30 minutes or so before the girl and the stolen vehicle were found that Pelmorex started kicking in with their emergency alerts - and about 30 minutes AFTER she had already been found, and media had already reported that fact!

May 1, 2018 11:07 pm  #17

So, what you're saying is technology and the people programming it aren't perfect. Good catch.

Yes, what you wrote, did happen. And the backbone tech has been upgraded and beta tested. Now, it's time for a bigger test.

Imagine if medicine gave up after early failues. We'd be still using leeches and exorcisms to cure the common fart.

May 1, 2018 11:20 pm  #18

cGrant wrote:

So, what you're saying is technology and the people programming it aren't perfect. Good catch.

Yes, what you wrote, did happen. And the backbone tech has been upgraded and beta tested. Now, it's time for a bigger test.

Imagine if medicine gave up after early failues. We'd be still using leeches and exorcisms to cure the common fart.

Fuck, you're annoying. You almost make Old Codger seem tolerable. But only just, Old Codger! ;)

May 2, 2018 12:10 pm  #19

Yikes, just came back from Hawaii and one night around 2 am phone went nuts with a flash flood alert. It was very , very loud.

May 4, 2018 7:35 pm  #20

NikS wrote:

Yikes, just came back from Hawaii and one night around 2 am phone went nuts with a flash flood alert. It was very , very loud.

I remembered your post NikS when I read just now the Weather Channel report of a fourth volcano eruption, and an earthquake across the entire state of Hawaii. Even though Twitter is very useful for spreading urgent information about severe weather etc, the coverage on power outages, wires down, fallen trees and road closures due to today's wind storm as an example, I *will* be paying attention on Monday for our alert here in Ontario.

Last edited by betaylored (May 4, 2018 7:36 pm)

May 7, 2018 8:54 am  #21

This one has been well publicized. I wonder if stations that mostly rely on talk, like 1010, 640, 680 and even the CBC's Radio 1, will let themselves be interrupted by the test or just carry on and let the alert break into programming with little notice. I've heard hosts complain in the past that they can't hear the alerts, even when they know they're coming. But there are ways to have your headphones play the off-air signal at least temporarily - Mike Stafford was famous for doing it. 

How will they handle it this time? We'll know at or around 1:55 PM.

May 7, 2018 12:43 pm  #22

grilled.cheese wrote:

What an exciting time to be alive. 

Nurse Ratchett ordered that AM 740 on the central audio system here at the nursing home be shut completely down around 1:45, otherwise we will be cleaning bed pans all afternoon

Last edited by Ms. C. (May 7, 2018 12:44 pm)

May 7, 2018 1:14 pm  #23

Emergency alert system test failed to reach cell phones in Quebec

Oh well. It's only Quebec, so no sleep lost

Last edited by Fjiri (May 7, 2018 1:15 pm)

May 7, 2018 1:56 pm  #24

that wasn't so bad

May 7, 2018 1:59 pm  #25

grilled.cheese wrote:

I don't rely on the government to tell me what an emergency is.

I guess this is Darwin's law in action when it comes to weeding out people during natural and other disasters because they don't want the gummint telling them what to do. 

May 7, 2018 2:09 pm  #26

Hansa wrote:

I guess this is Darwin's law in action when it comes to weeding out people during natural and other disasters 

Frankly, no real loss. 😴

May 7, 2018 2:45 pm  #27

Fjiri wrote:

Emergency alert system test failed to reach cell phones in Quebec

Oh well. It's only Quebec, so no sleep lost

Quebec's a law unto herself. I'm counting on John Moore to breezily explain what the 'ell 'appened on tomorrow's "Moore in the morning".

My Bitcoin's on the language 👮

With regards to the rest of Canada, unless they fix the robotic voice used in the alert I heard today, they can reach every single person on every electronic device a la the Vogons in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', and it won't matter because whatever the message of today's alert was, it was unintelligible.

Last edited by betaylored (May 7, 2018 3:31 pm)

May 7, 2018 3:30 pm  #28

Was anyone actually talking to someone on their phone when it went off? I'm curious to know what happened. Did your conversation get cut off or was it just the noise sounding while you were still yakking? 

May 7, 2018 4:18 pm  #29

RadioActive wrote:

Was anyone actually talking to someone on their phone

You are showing your age... people don't actually use their phone for talking

May 7, 2018 5:32 pm  #30

betaylored wrote:

...and it won't matter because whatever the message of today's alert was, it was unintelligible.

B. I. N. G. O.