sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 23, 2018 11:43 am  #1

Ex-Tory Leader Patrick Brown Sues Bell/CTV For $8 Million

He threatened, he promised and now he's done it. Ousted Ontario P.C. leader Patrick Brown, who's been all but forgotten in the race to the provincial election, is back in the headlines, officially filing a defamation lawsuit in Barrie against CTV and Bell Media on Monday. He's demanding an $8 million penalty. 

Former Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown sues CTV after sexual misconduct allegations

The story has yet to appear on the CTV website as of this posting, so the link above is to a Global yarn on the suit. It indicates that there are some big names being targeted in the proceedings.

"The lawsuit names CTV, Bell Media, CTV president Wendy Freeman, CTV anchor Lisa Laflamme, reporters Glen McGregor, Rachel Aiello, and Travis Dhanraj. CP24, in addition to several “Jane or John Doe(s)” as editors, researchers and producers of the initial reporting are also named."

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that infamous lawsuit that Kathleen Wynne launched against Brown for his misstatement that she was on trial in Sudbury, when in fact she was only testifying? Interesting how that seems to have completely disappeared now that he's out of the picture.

April 24, 2018 4:27 pm  #2

Re: Ex-Tory Leader Patrick Brown Sues Bell/CTV For $8 Million

CTV and MacGregor et al need to feel the pain for how irresponsibly and maliciously they behaved in this sordid tale. They knew their evidence was iffy and destroyed a man just for the fun of it, or more likely out of anti-conservative bias.

Brown will win this. I know Patrick and whatever you think of him as a leader, he is no slouch and he would not be fighting back if he was not going to win.

The sweetest revenge however will be when they get Doug Ford as premier, something they likely naively never anticipated.

April 24, 2018 4:31 pm  #3

Charlie wrote:

I hope he pockets plenty.

Me too.  They're ripe for the pickin'  So pick 'em and pick 'em good.  They're a 1/2 - assed media company corporately speaking .

Ethically?  No statute of limitations on being a criminal Chuck.  You're either in...or you're out.  But for what he 'did'?  There ain't no crime there.  He got 'shtuped'.  I hope he sues the party with GREAT success as well.  Their collective 'tom-foolery' could make ol' Patty a very rich loser.  And 'lard' knows he IS a loooooooooooooooooooooooser.

July 7, 2018 10:37 pm  #4

CTV has filed its statement of defence and it outlines how a tip lead them to this story and why they intend to stick by their guns when the case goes to trial.

And some of the claims, which have not been proven in court, are quite graphic:

"...the first accuser summarized her allegations, writing, “I was the age 17-18 I know I was for sure underage” when she ended up at Brown’s house “for some drinks” after a night out. “He asked if he could give me a tour of his house. When we got to the bedroom he closed the door and pulled out his penis. He told me to suck it. I remember being very uncomfortable and I sucked it for a second then realized I needed to leave and it wasn’t a good situation.”

Canadaland outlines how it all began and how it reached a stunning climax.

CTV Says A Tip That Patrick Brown Apologized For Sexual Misconduct In Ottawa Launched Their Investigation

March 9, 2022 8:12 am  #5

It has taken a very long time for this story to be resolved. Hard to believe it's been four years.

So far, I've heard Greg Brady on 640 talking about this story. But in the time I've been monitoring Bell's CFRB on Wednesday, they haven't said a word. Has anyone heard 1010 mention it?

CTV News expresses ‘regrets’ over story that ended Patrick Brown’s leadership of Ontario’s Progressive Conservatives

March 9, 2022 10:36 am  #6

Reminds of Allan Spraggett, the writer and broadcaster whose career was destroyed by accusations that were not true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Spraggett

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 9, 2022 1:32 pm  #7

CTV did report the story on its noon news, with a carefully worded statement that was as close to an apology as it gets. I never did hear about it on CFRB.

The station says the story on its website has been updated, but despite an extensive search, I haven't been able to find it. 

The statement, as reported on air, reads in part:

"Key details provided to CTV for this story were factually incorrect and required correction. CTV National News regrets including those details in the story and any harm this may have caused to Mr. Brown."

Considering what it cost Brown, it's somewhat surprising there was no monetary penalty for getting it so wrong. But perhaps Brown doesn't want to push the point and is happy to put it to rest, as he mulls a run for the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada.

March 9, 2022 1:56 pm  #8

March 9, 2022 2:44 pm  #9

Thanks Lorne. I looked for it repeatedly but could not find it. Appreciate the link. 

March 16, 2022 11:43 am  #10

The author claims the settlement leaves a lot of unanswered questions that neither side is in any hurry to answer.

The questionable deal that lets Patrick Brown and CTV off the hook

March 16, 2022 11:54 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

It has taken a very long time for this story to be resolved. Hard to believe it's been four years.

So far, I've heard Greg Brady on 640 talking about this story. But in the time I've been monitoring Bell's CFRB on Wednesday, they haven't said a word. Has anyone heard 1010 mention it?

CTV News expresses ‘regrets’ over story that ended Patrick Brown’s leadership of Ontario’s Progressive Conservatives

Oddly enough, on Monday's Moore In The Morning, John Moore mentioned that Patrick Brown was to have been a contributor to the roundtable but the show was informed that he would not be appearing and Robert Turner filled in. No mention was made of this story and John seemed to feel it was Patrick Brown's team that had called off the appearance.

Guess they (Bell Media) are going with that ol' expression about the less that's said, the sooner things mend.