sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2018 9:48 am  #1

Controversial Canadian To Appear On HBO' s "Real Time With Bill Maher"

Here's a confrontation I'm looking forward to - controversial U. of T. Professor Jordan Peterson is scheduled to appear on HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher" Friday night. Peterson is public enemy #1 for many academics and left-leaning activists over his refusal to bend to politically correct memes - most notably a case involving learning multiple pronouns surrounding gender. 

Not sure if he's a panelist or just the opening guest, but I'll be curious how Maher handles him. The host has made it clear he's not a big fan of political correctness, yet he's also uber-liberal. So it wouldn't entirely surprise me if he took Peterson's side on some things but had big differences with him in others.

The show airs at 10 PM on HBO, with repeats all week.

April 20, 2018 3:29 pm  #2

Re: Controversial Canadian To Appear On HBO' s "Real Time With Bill Maher"

Thanks for the heads up RA.  We tape Real Time every Friday night and watch it over breakfast Saturday Morning.  Bill did a great monologue last week on Millennials and what offends them; from the past.    

April 20, 2018 4:06 pm  #3

Bill Maher is a pompous, pretentious and condescending lefty.  His in-studio audience is specifically selected and screened to ensure they all drank his Kool-Aid and clap like walruses on command.  Any "controversial" guest he has is deliberately set-up to be attacked by Herr Maher and his special guest panel of like-minded idioten.

April 23, 2018 2:39 pm  #4

cGrant wrote:

Bill Maher is a pompous, pretentious and condescending lefty.  His in-studio audience is specifically selected and screened to ensure they all drank his Kool-Aid and clap like walruses on command.  Any "controversial" guest he has is deliberately set-up to be attacked by Herr Maher and his special guest panel of like-minded idioten.

​Always a ray of sunshine, aren't you? Go outside and yell at the clouds now old man.

April 23, 2018 4:41 pm  #5

Hey Scraps, he is right, Maher is everything cGrant says and MORE!  Obviously you haven't watch the ultra-liberal lefty Maher and his diatribe.  Check Maher out then comment.

April 23, 2018 5:33 pm  #6

Scraps wrote:

Go outside and yell at the clouds now old man.

Behave

April 24, 2018 2:29 pm  #7

Controversial - Because you disagree with it. Ok, glad we got that figured out.

April 24, 2018 3:38 pm  #8

My wife and I love Bill Maher.  O.K...every now and then he swings and misses [badly occasionally] ...but generally he knocks it out of the park.  AND...he's usually right...about everything from re'lie'gion to re'pube'licans to dirty Donnie/Spanky T. Rump, to how entirely inept the democrats are, to children.  There IS right and there is wrong when it comes to politics and when it comes to how to allow the world to get along and to move forward.  And then there are the right-wing, gun-kissing/ass-licking 'KKK' types who really want to live in the past and to "make racism great again".

We need Bill Maher each and every week.  Sean Hannity, on the other hand, can find a windy day and go fly his various and sundry kites.  Truth?  Lies?  It's that blatant and Hannity lies like a 'toady' rug.  who's your lawyer again Pinocchio?  Stupid 'opinion' radio and television...you know ... based on things other than facts and scientific proof...should be kept under a watchful eye and should have an impact on license renewal.  THAT would end that SHIT in a New York second.
--------------------------

Oh...and...Peterson made sense.

Last edited by Old Codger (April 24, 2018 3:40 pm)

April 24, 2018 3:38 pm  #9

WilliamT wrote:

Controversial - Because you disagree with it. Ok, glad we got that figured out.

Actually, no. I quite like most of what Dr. Peterson has to say. Whether anyone agrees that it's the truth or not, I'm just glad someone is being allowed to speak their minds instead of being silenced by fear of political incorrectness censure.

By "controversial" I meant just what the word implies. Some, especially those on the extreme left find his views upsetting and he's been, in my mind, unjustly vilified for it. But he sparks a lot of discussion because of what he believes. Hence, despite your apparent jump to a conclusion, the use of the word is exactly as it's meant.

What it doesn't mean is that I disagree with him. In fact, the exact opposite is true. In fact, I wish there more like him.

And what surprised me somewhat during this episode of Real Time is just how much he and Maher found common ground on issues you would have thought might have divided them. Maher, whatever his faults, has made it clear he's sick of politically correct censorship that has made it all but impossible for him to play college campuses. He's not the only comedian to make that point.

In fact, sometimes he even chews out his own in studio audience. A few weeks ago, he made a joke about something that wasn't 100% lefty approved and people in the audience groaned. He got a disgusted look on his face, turned to the crowd and boldly but playfully told them, "Fuck you!"

To which, of course, they applauded.     

Last edited by RadioActive (April 24, 2018 3:43 pm)