sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2018 10:07 pm  #1

[fyi] Sharon Taylor In Conversation With Evelyn Macko

[Via FYI]

There was a time when Evelyn Macko was the preeminent radio newscaster in Toronto.  She worked alongside people like Dick Smyth, Tom Rivers, Robert Holiday, Jim Brady, Larry Silver, Erik Tomas and many, many more. Her presentation and her writing helped make her a star talent. Her voice defined an era in Toronto radio. Not as apparent to the ear is the woman who also had to deflect sexism, define herself in the rough and tumble news world and develop the work ethic and the thick skin that not only took her to the big show, but kept her there for decades.  

Tell me about you before radio.  Where were you, what were you into?

[Continued...]

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 23, 2018 8:14 am  #2

Re: [fyi] Sharon Taylor In Conversation With Evelyn Macko

Class act...tough as nails...Evelyn and Larry Silver mentored and taught me everything there is to know about radio news at 640...I'll never forget it....thanks.

April 23, 2018 8:31 am  #3

Johnny B wrote:

taught me everything there is to know about radio news at 640

That's not very nice to say. They deserve much better -- now, if you wrote their mentorship at RB or 680, THAT would be the true compliment they richly deserve.

April 23, 2018 10:14 am  #4

Thank you for posting that ig --  a great read.

She's a talent & I was working in St. Kitts when she started out there.

I was wondering as I started reading if she would touch upon her long ago marriage to Brian & she did.

Honest & strong woman.

Just as an aside -- is she a member here?

Hope so...

April 23, 2018 3:26 pm  #5

I can clearly remember her crisp tone and specific phrasing, musical but not overly so, ending each read with a confident flourish.

Evelyn.... Kim Geddes, Lisa Brandt - radio had and has so many terrific woman you love to listen to...Tina T, Haley Cooper the list goes on. Rock and pop radio still seems to prefer women as sidekicks, or co-hosts, but talk/news radio appears to be smarter when it comes to featuring women.

* It is a very good interview. "jobbed out" is a solid description. Think I'll have to start reading FYI - to echo "unclefester" thanks"ig".

Last edited by betaylored (April 23, 2018 4:11 pm)