sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2018 12:37 pm  #1

BNN Bloomberg Radio

With Bell Media soon launching BNN Bloomberg Radio in Vancouver
http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/bnn-bloomberg-radio-canadas-first-business-news-radio-station-launches-april-30/
Could Funny 820 have a new life as the Golden Horseshoe BNN radio outlet?

April 18, 2018 12:56 pm  #2

Re: BNN Bloomberg Radio

Would they want to bail on TSN Radio in Toronto?  Vancouver has/had the luxury of having two TSN branded radio stations.

April 18, 2018 2:25 pm  #3

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Aytononline wrote:

I don't see CFRB changing to BNN.

What about 1050 CHUM or what is apparently called TSN 1050?

And leave the Toronto market with only a SportsNet station?  I doubt it, although ratings show T.O. cannot support 2 sports outlets.  And, 590 isn't going anywhere.

Aytononline wrote:

I don't see CFRB changing to BNN, But, BLOOMBERG MARKETS is the only show to be broadcast at least in part out of Toronto on the full Bloomberg Network. This is a 1pm show so let's see what happens.
The new BNN would be a good lead in to the morning shows.

Well, bye bye to Jim Richards then.  Crystal ball and bookies say he'll move to the 640 morning drive with Stafford returning to 9 am.

RB isn't likely to dump Robert Turner's 5am pre-breakfast filler program.

April 18, 2018 3:33 pm  #4

Given the numbers, I think 1150 will be quicker to go all business and ti cat games will move to 820.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if 1050 also goes all business, but Bell wouldn't dare get rid of their sports coverage...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 18, 2018 4:18 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if 1050 also goes all business, but Bell wouldn't dare get rid of their sports coverage...

What about a hybrid on 1050?  All-business during the day, sports in the evenings/overnight.

April 18, 2018 5:13 pm  #6

cGrant wrote:

What about a hybrid on 1050?  All-business during the day, sports in the evenings/overnight.

Well, it IS world amateur radio day . . . 

April 18, 2018 7:16 pm  #7

geo wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Well, it IS world amateur radio day . . . 

LOL, Nice.

Seriously though, I'd bet 820. It's a placeholder. TSN 1050/1150 have a purpose beyond ratings. 

April 18, 2018 7:54 pm  #8

From Vancouver's Province newspaper:

TSN 1410 is ditching sports, rebranding as business radio

I'm not sure how well this will go over with a B.C. audience, at least at the beginning:

As of launch day, the station will not feature local content, however we are exploring adding a locally focused business news show to the schedule in the future,” Bell Media spokesman Matthew Garrow told Postmedia on Wednesday.

Just what the west coast needs - business reports from Toronto. Adding local later may not help a lot at the start.  

There is one error in the linked story. It claims this is the first all-biz station in Canada. Not true. CFBN on 1280 in Toronto, the old Pearson Airport (CFYZ)-now-Ryerson outlet (CJRU) gets that honour. If, considering how short-lived it was, it can be called an "honour."

That said, my money's on The Funny here and I, for one, will miss that format if it goes away.