sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2018 7:53 pm  #1

Another 640 Conundrum

How is it that the Employment Hour is only actually 40 minutes? It starts at about 7:10 PM, after Alex Pierson delivers her commentary and sets up her show, and then stops at 7:50 PM. That's not an hour by anyone's yardstick. 

Another thing I can't quite understand. If it's a sponsored program, as is announced at the top of each show, why do they interrupt it for unrelated commercials?

Inquiring minds want to know! 

April 16, 2018 8:37 pm  #2

Re: Another 640 Conundrum

When you buy 30 minutes of air time you get 10 minutes free. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 16, 2018 8:43 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

How is it that the Employment Hour is only actually 40 minutes? It starts at about 7:10 PM, after Alex Pierson delivers her commentary and sets up her show, and then stops at 7:50 PM.

More importantly, WHY is it even on at all?  It genuinely breaks the flow of programming for the rebranded station.  Instead of going from Oakley, a live and local talk show, to another live talk show (Pierson), there is a sudden stop and a shilled show breaks the momentum.

I have to believe they are simply running out the contract and Alex's show will be whole whenever that actually happens.  If not... well, pardon the word, it's sublimely moronic.  They are trying to be a full-time (albeit on weekdays only) talk station and they have this speed bump on the schedule.

April 16, 2018 10:52 pm  #4

How outrageous! Can somebody please report this matter to Congress? Pretty sure this violates some sort of intergalactic law governing AM radio show scheduling.

The worst part of this whole issue, is how do we explain this to our children?!

Your heads would have really exploded back in the day when EVERY TV and radio program was heavily sponsored by Lucky Strike or Some Other Stuff to, ya know, pay the bills.

Grow up.

April 17, 2018 1:26 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

How is it that the Employment Hour is only actually 40 minutes? It starts at about 7:10 PM, after Alex Pierson delivers her commentary and sets up her show, and then stops at 7:50 PM. That's not an hour by anyone's yardstick. 

A lawyer's hour?  

April 17, 2018 2:29 am  #6

Fjiri wrote:

The worst part of this whole issue, is how do we explain this to our children?!

Before or after trying to explain that all hit radio was on AM? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 17, 2018 8:43 am  #7

My original post was meant facetiously but this one isn't - has anyone else noticed that 640 sounds horribly over-modulated all of a sudden?  I first noticed it last week and was hoping it was just a temporary thing, but it's been going on for a while and I can't figure out why. Everything sounds like it's pinning the meter, as we used to say, leaving a distorted sound. 

At first, I thought maybe it was just the radio I was using, but I've since tried it on several others, including the one in my car, and it's the same on all of them. It's pretty annoying and if they're doing it on purpose, I can only wonder why.  

Last edited by RadioActive (April 17, 2018 8:44 am)

April 17, 2018 9:50 am  #8

Speaking of distortion, it brings to mind something I’m guessing few here have ever heard. But this one is for anyone who ever worked in a radio newsroom.

My very first paying gig in radio came at a news service out of CKEY Toronto, a competitor to what was then called Broadcast News. We used to feed out news clips known as “actualities” and voicers to affiliates across the country.

Most were in major cities, but we also had a lot of small markets and we were told to take in anything they sent us, regardless of how bad it was, in order to encourage stations to send us material for the network.

One day, a guy from CJCS Stratford called with a breaking story he thought we just had to know about – a fire at a local shoe store. Why he thought that would be of interest to anyone elsewhere in the country is beyond me, but we were under orders to take the feed in anyway.

What followed was a hilarious example of distortion and stupidity that was so bizarre someone saved it. You can hear it here, but be aware that it’s the contributor’s final short sentence at the end as he finishes the feed that serves as an unintended punchline that you couldn’t possibly write.