sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2018 1:42 pm  #1

One More TV Guide Classic: The Weeks Canada Stood Still

I came across this bit of history in going through some old TV Guides, this one from 1972. Who knew then that this event would force offices across the country to a halt, close the schools nationwide and still be talked about to this day?

April 16, 2018 2:39 pm  #2

Re: One More TV Guide Classic: The Weeks Canada Stood Still

A white 10 and a black 10. The black one would be CFPL. What would the white one be?

April 16, 2018 2:43 pm  #3

According to the listings, it's WHEC, the CBS affiliate in Rochester. I find it hard to believe they would have interrupted shows like All In The Family to bring this to their audience, but stranger things have happened. I checked the pages and it is indeed shown that way in the listing themselves -  the old WBEN-TV Channel 4 is said to provide the only CBS programming during the time when the game is on. 

April 16, 2018 7:11 pm  #4

Chuck99 wrote:

Its interesting to note that CBLT had not yet flipped to Channel 5

Speaking of which, this ad began appearing in the TV Guide in late August and early September of 1972.

I remember it well. When they started testing, it completely wiped out WBEN on channel 4 at the time, forcing us to buy a special filter to keep getting it. (Most everything was over the air in those days.) But until the conversion to digital, it never did come in clearly again. 

I got up early on the day of the big sign-on just to see what they'd do. I'm not sure if anyone else caught it or if it was deliberate, but they showed the CBC I.D. slate upside down for a second or so, before correcting it right side up. I think it was in tribute to CBLT's original sign-on in the early 50s, which became famous for having the ID slide flipped over, a rather inauspicious beginning for the CBC's brand new television service.  

April 16, 2018 7:13 pm  #5

I am trying to remember the distinction between the Black and White and it  was a system used by the newspaper listings as well. I think it was white for the more distant from  SOWNY , even though one would have needed a rotor in bring in some of the black channels such as CHEX  12 and CKCO 13 and even CKVR 3. Also the Rochester stations though white were sometimes available without a rotor depending on where you lived. Not many had cable in those days.

I remember the CBS Sunday afternoon games. I think they were called  and/ or hosted by Dan Kelly. Did not last that long due to poor ratings and I think there was also a gent named Jiggs ( sp?) McDonald involved at some point.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 16, 2018 8:05 pm  #6

Here's the official channel line-up from the 1972 Toronto-Lake Ontario edition. Note that there was no City TV or Global yet and that TVO - then called CICA and the Ontario Educational Communications Authority on channel 19 - was celebrating just its second year in existence. (I love the fact they still indicated which shows were in "color," spelled the American way.)

April 16, 2018 8:07 pm  #7

All I want to know is where is the U ?

April 16, 2018 8:39 pm  #8

ok so I guess the black and white was mainly to distinguish between Canadian and American  channels and secondly to distinguish duplicates on the same channel for example 11. I seem to recall a white 6 for Deseronto.   The channel line-up reminds me about an ad I used to see on the Rochester stations maybe until the 1980's for The House of Guitars with a long haired gent and the ad would always end with the phrase "we have all the Beach Boys albums."

Cool Airchecks and More:

April 16, 2018 9:03 pm  #9

Well I should have known. I just did a search and found one of the House of Guitars ads:

Last edited by Fitz (April 16, 2018 9:03 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

April 16, 2018 10:33 pm  #10

from the reaction to this thread, it's good to know that my old "Graffiti" magazines from the 80s will someday be fodder for conversation.