sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2018 5:52 pm  #1

Photo Radar in Ontario

A few years back there once was photo radar in Ontario. I seem to remember local radio traffic reports that included reporting on photo radar locations. I wonder what the rationale was to out them? I don't hear about traditional speed traps...

April 12, 2018 6:00 pm  #2

Re: Photo Radar in Ontario

Chrisphen wrote:

I seem to remember local radio traffic reports that included reporting on photo radar locations. I wonder what the rationale was to out them?

Depends on the position of the PD/ND of the station.  If they disagreed with the notion that it was simply a cash grab, they'd have their Traffic person spill the beans.

April 13, 2018 10:47 pm  #3

Photo radar actually controlled super speeding on the 401. It didn't take too long after photo radar was put into place for a regualr commuter to become familiar with where it would be located and easily recognize the non-descript vans on the shoulder of the highway ahead. Once photo radar was scrapped the speed on the 401 increased by 20 - 30 km/hour - from 110 -120 to 120 - 140 and beyond. I was sorry to see it go.

April 13, 2018 11:38 pm  #4

photo radar in quebec is a joke.  in gatineau, they post permanent road signs...like they need more signs.... to say where the section begins and where it ends.  But with only a few portable radar units, it's entirely random,

To bring it around, radio does not announce the locations, but several traffic websites do.

April 14, 2018 5:07 am  #5

This thread about photo radar sounds like a back-in-the-day Stafford Show. Good times.

April 14, 2018 2:13 pm  #6

Kilgore wrote:

Storm wrote:

I was sorry to see it go.

what Storm said goes for me too

It was a cash grab, plain and simple; is that what you miss the most?  Because it had no effect on speed control.  Sure, people slowed down when they were alerted to a radar van, and, once beyond its "circle of vision", they resumed speed, knowing there isn't another van for a fair bit.  

The 401 should have graduated speed lanes -- the right-most:  80-100.  The next lane:  passing.  Followed by: 100-110.  And finally, the left-most:  open that shtye up.  Get rid of any HOVs.

Have the po-po concentrate on real policing matters, instead of being glorified meter/speed maids.  No, I don't miss a left/pinko government entrapping me as I blissfully cruise past the blue hairs pounding on their dashes.

April 15, 2018 10:51 pm  #7

tc143 wrote:

I got a ticket on Dec. 24 at about 7 am around Morningside & 401. There wasn't a car in sight in any direction, all of sudden I see -- FLASH -- in the mirror from a van on the shoulder. A total money grab.

It's only a cash grab if you weren't speeding.