sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2018 9:45 pm  #1

Why The President Of ESPN Resigned Over Cocaine & Blackmail

You've probably heard some weird resignation tales over the past few years, especially with the #MeToo movement in full swing. But this one has nothing to do with sexual harassment allegations. Instead, it's the sordid story of why the head of one of the world's biggest cable TV networks - ESPN - suddenly resigned last December, because of a cocaine habit and the threat one of the guys selling him the drug was trying to blackmail him.

John Skipper says he wants to get back into sports media. But would you hire him?

Not a local story but an interesting read,

John Skipper Details His ESPN Exit and a Cocaine Extortion Plot

March 15, 2018 11:05 pm  #2

Re: Why The President Of ESPN Resigned Over Cocaine & Blackmail

I think he's reading his coca leaves correctly - step away from the big corporate management role (at least for the time being) and advise a small group of smart people (and then maybe gradually take on more responsibility and challenge). I admire his candidness. (Journalism as therapy?) Depending on the job I was hiring him for, I might need more details about the extortion.

March 15, 2018 11:44 pm  #3

Re: Why The President Of ESPN Resigned Over Cocaine & Blackmail

No doubt this is a very interesting story.

If you recall David Letterman got out in front of an extortion attempt -- meeting it head on & even discussing the whole thing on his late night show a number of years back.

Letterman  survived and thrived -- interesting to see what happens with Mr. Skipper

Last edited by unclefester (March 15, 2018 11:45 pm)