sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2015 12:57 am  #1

680 Sports

Seriously, Rogers / 680 - enough shoving Blue Jays down everyone's ears!

- top of the hour headline - Blue Jays
- lead news story after :01 traffic/weather - Blue Jays
- five minutes of reporting live from Rogers Center with interviews with fans
- news story about planned DVP closure... might affect those attending the Blue Jays game

- Sports: Blue Jays (of course)

- Weather: Sunny, nice afternoon... roof should be open for the Blue Jays game

- Business report: You guessed it. Had to tie part of it in with the Blue Jays... hotel occupancy from visitors attending the Blue Jays games.

... and on and on.

I tune to 680 to quickly catch up on local and world NEWS headlines, and the endless dwelling about Rogers' beloved Blue Jays is becoming nauseating. There are what, 50,000 seats in the stadium? And this matters to the 4,950,000 in the GTA who can not / chose not to attend?

Rogers already has 590 Sports. Fine. Make it 100% Rogers Blue Jays radio. Even dedicate the sports reports every half hour on 680 to the Blue Jays. But how about keeping the news in 680 News. There is an awful lot going on locally and around the world, without a baseball team being the only thing someone at 680 News decides is what matters for their listeners to know about.

Last edited by FM DXer (September 28, 2015 1:03 am)

September 28, 2015 6:41 am  #2

Re: 680 Sports

FM DXer wrote:

- top of the hour headline - Blue Jays
- lead news story after :01 traffic/weather - Blue Jays
- five minutes of reporting live from Rogers Center with interviews with fans
- news story about planned DVP closure... might affect those attending the Blue Jays game

- Sports: Blue Jays (of course)

- Weather: Sunny, nice afternoon... roof should be open for the Blue Jays game

- Business report: You guessed it. Had to tie part of it in with the Blue Jays... hotel occupancy from visitors attending the Blue Jays games.

... and on and on.

I tune to 680 to quickly catch up on local and world NEWS headlines, and the endless dwelling about Rogers' beloved Blue Jays is becoming nauseating. There are what, 50,000 seats in the stadium? And this matters to the 4,950,000 in the GTA who can not / chose not to attend?

Rogers already has 590 Sports. Fine. Make it 100% Rogers Blue Jays radio. Even dedicate the sports reports every half hour on 680 to the Blue Jays. But how about keeping the news in 680 News. There is an awful lot going on locally and around the world, without a baseball team being the only thing someone at 680 News decides is what matters for their listeners to know about.

Totally agree. 680 News has become an infocommercial for the Blue Jays and other Rogers properties (anytime Rogers rolls out a new cell phone, expect it to be a leading story).

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 28, 2015 9:46 am  #3

Aw Come On!. What don't you understand about "Vertical Integration"????  The Rogers Toronto Bluejays play at Rogers Centre and their games are broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet, Rogers Fan 590, etc.   Lot's of Rogers advertising at the Rogers Centre, including outfield, throughout the stadium, walkways etc.

And of course high-lites on Rogers' Citytv.   The miracle of modern cross promotional opportunities.

September 28, 2015 1:10 pm  #4

tvguy wrote:

And of course high-lites on Rogers' Citytv.   The miracle of modern cross promotional opportunities.

It's very surprising Omni doesn't have any cross promotion in another language...They could air CityNews with voice overs or something...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 28, 2015 3:59 pm  #5

FM DXer wrote:

You do make a valid point.  I subscribe to NT1010 updates via e-mail and I'm getting tired of the Blue Jays every time they sneeze.  How is this breaking news?

At least with e-mail, I can choose to ignore it until I have time to kill.

October 10, 2015 12:59 am  #6

The day before game 1, the day of game 1, the day of game 2, after game 2... 680 Blue Jays.

Rogers: Your beloved Blue Jays lost... twice. How long must the weeping continue? Now they have to air repeats of interviewed dejected fans ad nauseam leaving the Skydome and Nathan Philips Square...

Can we finally have the lead news story on 680 News be something news-worthy, and not what Rogers decides supersedes everything else local, national and worldwide?

October 10, 2015 5:46 am  #7

FM DXer wrote:

The day before game 1, the day of game 1, the day of game 2, after game 2... 680 Blue Jays.

Rogers: Your beloved Blue Jays lost... twice. How long must the weeping continue? Now they have to air repeats of interviewed dejected fans ad nauseam leaving the Skydome and Nathan Philips Square...

Can we finally have the lead news story on 680 News be something news-worthy, and not what Rogers decides supersedes everything else local, national and worldwide?

"Like"

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 10, 2015 7:37 am  #8

Yes, well said. I think it's gotten so bad that Rogers is hurting their own best interests, particularly with the way that the series is going. 

October 10, 2015 10:06 am  #9

GO LEAFS GO

October 11, 2015 10:21 am  #10

Is there a better baseball song than Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"?

October 13, 2015 8:18 am  #11

i'm going to show them i'm mad as hell and i'm not going to take it anymore... i'm going to start wearing my skydome hat!