sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2018 12:54 pm  #1

Hockey Fans Furious After NBC Moves End Of Leaf Game To Cable

If ever there was an example of the difference in priorities between Canadian and American TV, this may be it. NBC was carrying Saturday night's outdoor game featuring the Leafs and the Caps in Washington. But when the game ran long, the network shifted the last four minutes of play to its NBC Sports cable network. 

The reasons are obvious - the ratings for hockey in the U.S. aren't great, the local news for affiliates is still a moneymaker, and most important to the Peacock network, a new episode of Saturday Night Live was set to air live across the country. 

The CBC, of course, showed the entire thing to the end. You can only imagine the howls of protest if they'd said, "The end of Hockey Night In Canada will continue on Rogers Sportsnet." (Although I shouldn't be giving them any ideas.) Hockey fans in the U.S. were P.O.-d by the sudden move, especially those who don't have cable or whose systems don't carry the channel.  

It's not exactly 1968's The Heidi Bowl, the infamous NFL game that saw the Oakland Raiders score two touchdowns in the last minutes of play against the New York Jets to stage an amazing comeback. Unfortunately, NBC had highly promoted its TV movie "Heidi" and cut to the flick when it looked like the game was a fait accompli.

But it shows not much has changed.

NBC stuns hockey fans by moving end of outdoor game to NBCSN  

March 5, 2018 4:58 pm  #2

Re: Hockey Fans Furious After NBC Moves End Of Leaf Game To Cable

Similar bullshit got Dave Hodge canned from the CBC/HNIC many years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx33a0u3gmg 

March 5, 2018 6:16 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

The CBC, of course, showed the entire thing to the end. You can only imagine the howls of protest if they'd said, "The end of Hockey Night In Canada will continue on Rogers Sportsnet." (Although I shouldn't be giving them any ideas.)

Hockey on CBC is protected by CRTC in Canada, is it not?
I don't have all the facts, just the basic ones that forced Rogers to secure that a game is not carried only on a channel not available in a specific area...(or something like that)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 5, 2018 6:37 pm  #4

Yup. Another fluid example of how the CBC binds Canadians together. 🤔 Meanwhile, people are dying of horrible diseases because there isn't enough money in the healthcare system for research and cures. But, as long as you get to watch millionaires on ice chasing a puck, well, that painful cancer won't feel so bad. 🙄

March 5, 2018 6:58 pm  #5

cGrant wrote:

Yup. Another fluid example of how the CBC binds Canadians together. 🤔 Meanwhile, people are dying of horrible diseases because there isn't enough money in the healthcare system for research and cures. But, as long as you get to watch millionaires on ice chasing a puck, well, that painful cancer won't feel so bad. 🙄

Except this has nothing to do with the CBC and everything to do with the security that everyone can see a game televised no matter who holds the rights. 

March 5, 2018 7:19 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Except this has nothing to do with the CBC and everything to do with the security that everyone can see a game televised no matter who holds the rights. 

No, it does not. RA posted, "The CBC, of course, showed the entire thing to the end." So, the CBC was in the clear.

But, I love your statement "the security that everyone can see a game". The "SECURITY"?! Mmmkay... I wasn't aware that millionaire ice bunnies somehow provide "security" to the nation. Oh, look, a nuke is coming towards Canada from North Korea -- fear not; we have the security of watching privileged men on frozen water whilst our flesh radioactively cooks and burns.

Last edited by cGrant (March 5, 2018 7:20 pm)

March 5, 2018 7:24 pm  #7

cGrant wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

No, it does not. RA posted, "The CBC, of course, showed the entire thing to the end." So, the CBC was in the clear.

But, I love your statement "the security that everyone can see a game". The "SECURITY"?! Mmmkay... I wasn't aware that millionaire ice bunnies somehow provide "security" to the nation. Oh, look, a nuke is coming towards Canada from North Korea -- fear not; we have the security of watching privileged men on frozen water whilst our flesh radioactively cooks and burns.

Yeah funny isn't it? I'm pretty sure CRTC forced Rogers to see to it that a game can be seen no matter what.
The same way CBC would have covered it.
It goes way beyond being a CBC thing. 
More of a CRTC regulation thing.

Long story short, if CBC went away tomorrow, CRTC still maintains a right to dictate how Hockey is covered in Canada...

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 5, 2018 7:27 pm)

March 5, 2018 7:35 pm  #8

No, it wouldn't. The CRTC doesn't regulate which games are on which networks.

March 5, 2018 7:41 pm  #9

Don wrote:

You are VERY correct, Don. I let that comment slide because of the sheer absurdity of it. The CRTC could give a constipated left-handed throat-yodeller's entrails damn about that. 

March 5, 2018 7:52 pm  #10

Don wrote:

We're not talking about the networks. We're talking about the CRTC and how they secured that no matter what, the game is viewable the same way it would be if it were a CBC covered game.
City, CBC, doesn't matter...

March 5, 2018 8:01 pm  #11

Still no.

March 5, 2018 8:20 pm  #12

Don wrote:

Still no.

Oh, okay, but here's some reading material anyway...
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2015/2015-154.htm 

March 5, 2018 8:27 pm  #13

Did you read that? It's an application from Rogers for authority to use the CBC as an extension of its network license.

March 5, 2018 8:45 pm  #14

ya both radiowiz AND cgrant are wrong.  CRTC has no say in content administration.   the crtc couldn't care less if hockey was broadcast in Canada. also, the CBC pays nothing for the NHL, and receives no revenue from rogers for the games.  the fact HNIC is still run on CBC is only due to the "generosity" of rogers recognizing the brand association to hockey, which supports the sportnet claims of legitimacy. 

March 5, 2018 8:59 pm  #15

splunge wrote:

ya both radiowiz AND cgrant are wrong. 

Huh?! Where am I wrong? I agreed with Don and his position that the CRTC has no say. Where, exactly is your confusion?

March 5, 2018 9:07 pm  #16

Maybe thought you we being sarcastic?

Anyway, to put this to rest, here's the CRTC's official position as to the way hockey is broadcast, and whether a game can be shifted to a cable network before it's over.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/home-hockeyrules-broadcast.htm

March 5, 2018 9:26 pm  #17

@cgrant.  my mistake, i guess.  you attempted to correlate "millionaire"ice bunnies" to programming decisions on the CBC. I am not a sarcasm neophyte, so ya, ok. 

bettman is a weasel no doubt, but at least it's better than trying to blame the CRTC!